Thread: OT: U.S. Open Predictions

Default OT: U.S. Open Predictions

The spotlight's on Phil & Tiger, since they're paired together for the first two rounds. . .but it has been 4 years since a Yank won the USGA's biggest prize.

Who do you like to hoist the trophy come Father's Day afternoon at Torrey Pines ?

How about one of these 3 ?

Stewart Cink (Duluth, Ga), Sergio Garcia (Spain) Vijay Singh (Fiji)

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

In a lunch pool I have Tiger, Cink, and VJ. So I am hoping one of them win.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    And you're the same person who probably voted Big Brown to win too. Tiger = big brown?, being the popular (yet mysteriously injured) choice.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

My gut tells me an underdog wins this one, one of the young guns. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Tiger come out and have a vintage performance because he loves statement wins.

I'm just not feeling all the optimism around Lefty. Tiger knows the course as well as he does and has played significantly better golf the past year, knee scoped or not.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

No I did not bet on Big Brown, but it is hard to go against Tiger. Even after the surgery and in his first tournament back he does have certain edges. He has won the last 3 or more times at Torey Pines. He also has been in the top 10 in almost every tournament he has been in for the last 6 months. When he is playing bad, he still comes in 2nd or 3rd. That is hard to bet against.

If you compare the WCC to the Open, then GU would be Tiger and then there is the rest of the field. Can they win, yes, but if you had to make a bet now for next year, who would you put your money on. Mine would be on G.U.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    After watching Garcia and VJ finish their practice round on 18 where they took several approach shots from about 100 yards out, I was pretty impressed with how well they were hitting the ball. That said VJ ended up skulling one into the bunker and took several shots from the bunker back onto the green. Garcia sank about a 25 footer as well. The contitions were getting firmer and faster than they had been earlier in the week as the sun dried out the course.

Immelmen also looked very good.

My money is on Adam Scott as the dark horse after listening to some of the guys in the office talk about his practice rounds.

On a side note, you could probably host a medium market football game inside the merchandise tent...it is that big...I mean the thing is huge.

GO ZAGS!

Default Underdog

I have to pull for the very very very big dark hoarse in this one...

KYLE STANLEY!!!!

What's not to like about this guy? He's a bellarmine alum and he might be the smallest guy at there at 140lbs, but he has some serious game. Plus its been over 70 years since an amateur won, don't you think we're about due?

To much to ask for Tiger coming off the bumb knee. Two that I like are Adam Scott and Jim Furyk. Also watch out for Phil Mickelson. Kinda being overshadowed by Tiger, but this could be his year.

Default Went to the practice round Wed...

Wearing my Gonzaga windbreaker.

In addition to hearing "go Zags!" about 15 times, the beer concession guy saw me walk up and said..."Gone-Zaga! Basketball powerhouse! I love that team!"

The other big observation to me was that the rough didn't appear to be any where as difficult as promised. We will have to see how that turns out.

The course is looooooonnnnnnngggggg though and the greens were lightening quick.

CZF is taking Adam Scott.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Adam Scott

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    And you're the same person who probably voted Big Brown to win too. Tiger = big brown?, being the popular (yet mysteriously injured) choice.
    OMG, you won't believe this. Some idiot on this board thinks that Big Brown is a metaphor for some racist message. Take a look at this.

Big Brown is a HORSE!, and the comparison would have been fine not because of skin color but because of injury prior to the biggest event of their professional lives? I got a big chuckle.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Wow, and even Negged ya. That means getting negative reputation just to clarify.