Thread: Pargo from SI

Default Pargo from SI

Jeremy Pargo, PG, Gonzaga, Jr.
    Pargo is a strong athlete who may have a future as a backup point guard in the NBA, but he didn't show NBA-ready decision-making skills at the predraft camp, according to multiple scouts. The likely scenario -- unless he wants to take his chances as a mid-second-rounder -- is that he returns for his senior season with the Zags, who are loaded enough to be an NCAA tournament threat.

Risk/Reward: There's not much risk in Pargo going back to school. He's in line behind far too many point guards in this draft, and like UCLA's Darren Collison, could smartly wait until 2009, whose pool won't be nearly as filled with floor generals. Pargo won't be hurting for exposure at Gonzaga, either; with multiple other NBA prospects in his starting lineup (including Austin Daye, Matt Bouldin and Josh Heytvelt), scouts will be willing to make trips to Spokane.

Default Not including the obvious?

Which is the fact that with his winning personality, work ethic, and a Degree from Gonzaga University, this young man will shine whatever his basketball fortunes after school.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

. . .he didn't show NBA-ready decision-making skills . . .
    That's a blemish on JP's rep that will be tough to erase, but I hope he does just that next season.

All the best to Jeremy for an early NBA career. If not this year for the NBA, we will be more than happy to have him back and take us deep into the tournament.

http://hoopsaddict.com/2008/06/06/in...-jeremy-pargo/

The progress that Pargo made last year from his soph year was very nice. If he can continue that progress I think those doubts will be erased.

Soph stats-

Assists- 4.6 TO's- 3.3 steals- 1.4 pts- 12.1 rbs- 4.3 33.6/mpg

Junior stats-

Assists- 6.0 TO's- 3.4 Steal- 1.4 PTS- 12.1 rsb- 3.7 33.9/mpg

Pretty much everything is identical with the exception of the assist. Almost 2-1 in the ratio. If he can get that to 2.5-1, then I would be a very happy fan.

those turnovers statistics don't take into account just how many times Jeremy's basketball mentality to create for himself first rather than for others hurt the team this part year as a point guard. Unfortunately for Zag fans, he pounds the ball a bit too much for a point guard that doesn't shoot a very high percentage from the field considering most of his makes are layups, floaters and dunks and averages in the mid to low teens scoring wise.

P-go is what kept us competitive in several games (see memphis).
    His ability to finish around the rim is what the Zags need.
    Even Jazz (a parbury hater at heart) agreed on more than one occasion that Jeremy's improvement was substantial.

In addition to the improvement of Jeremy's own game, his numbers should also be helped by the development of the talent around him. If Austin and Stephen progress like we all hope, and if Josh can stay healthy, JP will have plenty of weapons to dish off to.

Considering the data provided, it's a fervent hope he improves and learns.
    Considering the SI statement, if he's to be a successful backup, he'll need to learn more and improve lots. His brother isn't a frontliner but contributes plenty. Nothing wrong with that role.
    Jeremy needs a good, strong solid season. GU does too. 7 or 8 months from now let's all hope us fans are toasting both. Somehow, I do still think he needs to use his athleticism and tough mindset and just settle down and not be distracted. These camps are supposed to showcase talent but, more importantly, show a kid where he need to focus and improve. I hope our kid trusts someone enough to listen hard and go back to work with fierce determination. Grow a stiff jaw, forget the odd grins and dig in. It's business from here on in. Scouts don't care if you're well liked or fun. They only like performance.

Quote Originally Posted by redmanjonc2 View Post
    those turnovers statistics don't take into account just how many times Jeremy's basketball mentality to create for himself first rather than for others hurt the team this part year as a point guard. Unfortunately for Zag fans, he pounds the ball a bit too much for a point guard that doesn't shoot a very high percentage from the field considering most of his makes are layups, floaters and dunks and averages in the mid to low teens scoring wise.
    Don't really see what you're talking about. Pretty much every time Pargo switched into Pargo Show mode was during spurts of the game when the rest of the team just didn't have it that night. The only aspect of Pargo's game I would say really hurts the team is his end of half management.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by redmanjonc2 View Post
    Although i hate to say it, i agree. JP is too selfish with the rock, he needs to learn how to trust his teamates to handle the ball around the basket, now a lot of this can be attributed to the fact that he did not have a legitimate post presence this past year, but i think with Heytvelt coming back from injury again and Sacre not nearly as advanced as we need to run the post and even with the loss of Kuso, we still may see Pargo run his if i dont see a hot hand im controlling the rock mentality that got him into trouble and again will continue to get him into trouble this year. We need Meech to be more of the rock handler and let Pargo do his combo guard thing.

First, was I the only one surprised to see Matt's name among future Zag NBA'ers??

Second, Pargo's game last year, in my opinion, really developed late in the season when he learned that it can't be the "Pargo Show" and we saw him develop into a more pure poing guard. We all remember that when Pargo did take over the game, while he seemed to keep us in the race, we never won. Unlike having Ammo who seemed to close the deal in tight situations, Pargo doesn't have that ability nor will he need it next year (thank God).