Thread: Question About Scholarships

Default Question About Scholarships

I'm pretty ignorant of how athletic scholarships work, so I'd appreciate some enlightenment from someone who has a clue. From what I understand, Burgess had no guarantee of a scholarship when he transferred to GU. Now that the Zags have given him a scholarship for the 2006/2007 year, does that mean they are committed to him for the rest of his college career? Or can GU wait to see how the numbers game plays out before they decide whether or not to offer him a 2007/2008 schollie? Or is that something that, while technically legal, you just don't do to a person?

Default re:

Athletic scholarships are given year to year. Programs are not committed to keeping anyone on athletic scholarship for the duration of their eligibility. Similarly, someone who doesn't have a schoolie for most of their eligibility can be given one at any time...for instance, like Brian Michaelson during his senior year.

Schollies are always year to year "contracts" but coaches that promise 4 years and renege on that tend to stop getting good commits.

Burgess may have only been promised 1 year, with the possibility of losing it after that.

The key point though is that it's basically between the coaches and the players on an individual basis.

If any of our players loses his scholarship - I'm sure they would have a pretty good chance of making it as a walk-on if the continue to attend GU as ""normal" students.

Ok, I have another question. I know a woman who played basketball for GU on an athletic scholarship. After an illness, she was no longer able to play competitively. Being the fine, upstanding institution that it is, GU continued to pay her way until she graduated. Can the school do this without it counting towards their scholarship limit? If LG, for instance, is not cleared to play by the doctors, could GU continue to support him until he graduates, without sacrificing a B-Ball schollie?

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Ok, I have another question. I know a woman who played basketball for GU on an athletic scholarship. After an illness, she was no longer able to play competitively. Being the fine, upstanding institution that it is, GU continued to pay her way until she graduated. Can the school do this without it counting towards their scholarship limit? If LG, for instance, is not cleared to play by the doctors, could GU continue to support him until he graduates, without sacrificing a B-Ball schollie?
    It would not be a problem.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    It would not be a problem.
    But it would count as a basketball scholarship, wouldn't it?

No, not if he isn't playing basketball.