Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin & GU grew up together

Default Led Zeppelin & GU grew up together

Amazing bit of rock n roll history. . .thanks for posting this, gamagin !

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Amazing bit of rock n roll history. . .thanks for posting this, gamagin !
    Seconded.
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

Dude, that is awesome.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Awesome story. Were any of you there?

I got to catch Paige and Plant at the Gorge many years ago when they played accompanied by a symphony. It was great.

Seem to recall reading this trip almost killed them- combination of lifestyle and driving in a snowstorm.
    We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

So this means I can say that I have something in common with Led Zepp:

We were all wasted at one point on the GU campus. . .

So this means I can say that I have something in common with Led Zepp:

We were all wasted at one point on the GU campus. . .
    :applause:
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagpower View Post
    Were any of you there?
    Rub's parents were still in elementary school when this happened.
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

Gee, I was in elementary school when this happened. . .that must make me OLD

The 68/9 winter was one of the snowiest on record. This year in Spokaloo may have broken it, but we were starting on a record by late Dec 68. Many students were stranded in Spokane for a few extra days after classes let out for Christmas break because of a big snowstorm. I don't remember that particular night being extra cold.

I did not see the concert, I was working for the Great Northern Railroad over the holidays and I was in Wenatchee. I remember that because the next night, New Years Eve, I was waist deep in snow up near Brewster moving box cars around.

There are underground tapes of this concert that still survive. Zeppelin collectors covet them, though I've heard the quality is pretty rough.

It was just a couple months or so earlier that Steppenwolf came to the Coliseum and their opening act was a then unheard of group called Three Dog Night. Steppenwolf had all sorts of technical problems and ended up playing only about 30 to 45 mins, much of it accompanied by boos. Three Dog Night stole the show. "Easy to be Hard", their first gold record and top 10 hit came in 69 I believe.

Abe should know a good deal more about all this, he was a promoter too.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Wow! Some of you guys are youngsters. I remember going to see a Ted Nugent Concert at CWU in Ellensburg in the late 70's or early 80's and watched Ted get blown off the stage by an unknown opening act of Sammy Hagar.

If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a bootleg of that 1968 concert on the interwebs.

Default excellent find and

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos2121 View Post
    If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a bootleg of that 1968 concert on the interwebs.

post !

thanks,

The ad from the Spokesman reproduced in the story brought back many memories.

Over various summers, I worked at the Garland, Post, North Cedar and East Sprague theatres/drive-ins. Back in those days, they were a local chain called "Favorite Theaters." Joe Rosenfield was the owner. Joe later sold the chain to SRO--Sterling Recreation Organization.

Then there's the ad for the Cinema. Old timers will remember the Cinema and the El Rey.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Just noticed the new tag. Are the Dungeness plentiful?

http://www.island.wsu.edu/camano/harden/utsalady.htm

FWIW, this image clearly show Cape Horn on Hammersley Inlet. Good crab, oysters and geoducks.

http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/s...asp?id=MAS0147

Default our paths may have crossed, Angelo,

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    The ad from the Spokesman reproduced in the story brought back many memories.

Over various summers, I worked at the Garland, Post, North Cedar and East Sprague theatres/drive-ins. Back in those days, they were a local chain called "Favorite Theaters." Joe Rosenfield was the owner. Joe later sold the chain to SRO--Sterling Recreation Organization.

Then there's the ad for the Cinema. Old timers will remember the Cinema and the El Rey.
    at all of those theatres.

I was the guy blowing past you from the back door, running and hiding after sneaking in. Or at the drive-ins, I was the guy in the trunk.

Even on family nights, except when it was a whole carload (unlimited number) for a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    post !

thanks,
    Link to WAV files

Youtube Link (dazed and confused...search youtube for more)

Rapidshare link (mp3 format+covers)

Album Artwork Link

google is amazing....isn't it?

edit:

Wikipedia even has an entry on it:

Gonzaga '68 is a bootleg recording of the English rock group Led Zeppelin's performance at the Gonzaga University gymnasium, John F. Kennedy Pavilion in Spokane, Washington, on December 30, 1968.

The recording was first released on vinyl in the 1980s and has since been repackaged with other shows and released on CD.

Track listing

1. "Train Kept A-Rollin'"
    2. "I Can't Quit You Baby"
    3. "As Long As I Have You"
    4. "Dazed and Confused"
    5. "White Summer"
    6. "How Many More Times"
    7. "Pat's Delight"

Default Hmmm

My parents were students then. Dad was class of '69. Mom was class of '71.

I wonder if they went, and if not, why not.

I wonder if they went, and if not, why not.
    Check the date, they were home on Christmas vacation.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I was a bit too young in 1968 to see this concert. We lived close enough to Mt. Spokane to get absolutely hammered by all the snowfall that winter. My first concert in Kennedy was 1972.

Great find!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The 68/9 winter was one of the snowiest on record. This year in Spokaloo may have broken it, but we were starting on a record by late Dec 68. Many students were stranded in Spokane for a few extra days after classes let out for Christmas break because of a big snowstorm. I don't remember that particular night being extra cold.

I did not see the concert, I was working for the Great Northern Railroad over the holidays and I was in Wenatchee. I remember that because the next night, New Years Eve, I was waist deep in snow up near Brewster moving box cars around.

There are underground tapes of this concert that still survive. Zeppelin collectors covet them, though I've heard the quality is pretty rough.

It was just a couple months or so earlier that Steppenwolf came to the Coliseum and their opening act was a then unheard of group called Three Dog Night. Steppenwolf had all sorts of technical problems and ended up playing only about 30 to 45 mins, much of it accompanied by boos. Three Dog Night stole the show. "Easy to be Hard", their first gold record and top 10 hit came in 69 I believe.

Abe should know a good deal more about all this, he was a promoter too.
    I was at that Steppenwolf concert. It was my very first rock concert. The Liverpool 5 was the group that played in-between Three Dog Night and Steppenwolf.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Check the date, they were home on Christmas vacation.
    True, but in retrospect, no excuse to miss a Zeppelin concert.

Gee, I was in elementary school when this happened. . .that must make me OLD
    I was one.

Despite the poor recording quality, the performance sounds fantastic. I absolutely love Plant's timbre and vibrato on I Can't Quit You.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Don sure knew how to book the great acts.

http://www.enzepplopedia.com/vol1_sample.pdf

R.I.P.