Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Tyler Honeycutt - May 12 Greg Hicks Scout Post

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,093

    Default Tyler Honeycutt - May 12 Greg Hicks Scout Post

    Subscription Scout Story:



    Three schools he's high on at the moment: Arizona, Washington, and Gonzaga.

    He says he's supposed to go to camps at UCLA, USC, and Kansas State.

    Factors he'll consider in choosing a school:

    “Just how the team is, the campus, the coaches, how the players are and how much I’m going to play,” said Honeycutt. “I don’t really care about location.”

    Wants to wait and see who is looking at him after the summer.

    Favorite school growing up: UCLA.

    3.1 GPA.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,299

    Default

    Judging by looks alone, he would fit in with the current Zags. He looks more like Sacre to me the Daye. but i'd like to see all three of them on the floor together. I really I'm believing that Austin stays for three years. I think he may. Now that would be nice.

    I really doubt that we'll get Smith in 201-. It's just wishful thinking.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Great find Zagnative. That is great news, as Honeycutt is really emerging as one of the top talents for the class of 09. I really like our chances against UW and Arizona, and he has to love the playing time that freshman have been getting here. Put together him and Anthony Marshall, to go along with a Big man and Arop and you have a top 15 class for GU

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,093

    Default

    Here's another little tidbit from the La Times Varsity Insider Bog tonight:
    Boys' basketball: Sylmar's Honeycutt becomes hot prospect

    Three weeks ago, 6-foot-8 junior forward Tyler Honeycutt of Sylmar had no scholarship offers. Now he has schools clamoring to sign him, with Arizona, Arizona State, California, Washington, USC, San Diego, San Diego State and Gonzaga in hot pursuit.

    "Nothing has changed," Sylmar Coach Bort Escoto said. "People just don't do their job."

    Escoto said Honeycutt always had good potential, but when he started playing for the Pump 'N Run travel team last month, college recruiters took notice.
    OUch, Coach! Hope Gonzaga was among the few doing their job and was in there recruiting before the kid caught fire with his AAU team in the public eye.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Near Nature, Near Perfect
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Judging by looks alone, he would fit in with the current Zags. He looks more like Sacre to me the Daye. but i'd like to see all three of them on the floor together. I really I'm believing that Austin stays for three years. I think he may. Now that would be nice.

    I really doubt that we'll get Smith in 201-. It's just wishful thinking.
    The little we have heard of Honeycutt's play is positive. Touch recruiting competition, we'll see. I like the different skills Joe Burton would bring. Richardo Ratcliffe is a possibility, but not much of a student. I'd focus on Joe Burton, make him feels special and close the deal by August.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spudzag View Post
    The little we have heard of Honeycutt's play is positive. Touch recruiting competition, we'll see. I like the different skills Joe Burton would bring. Richardo Ratcliffe is a possibility, but not much of a student. I'd focus on Joe Burton, make him feels special and close the deal by August.
    Ditto. Get Honeycutt and Burton, then worry about a guard. Burton is a banger with bulk and Honeycutt is another Daye. Perfect for 2009.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,093

    Default

    In another Scout subscription story, on BRO, Hicks included a blurb that Honeycutt might have been the best West Coast shooter at the Cactus Classic, on fire beyond the stripe, but says that he's not just a shooter but a player with an all-round game.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    BZ is correct. Our first needs are a banger and a wing. The guard position has many options for at least two or three years. With the loss of Theo and then Osweiller, we have lost our safety blanket at the big position and depending on what Austin decides next year, we may be a little short there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,093

    Default

    New Rivals story about Tyler (subscription) on ASUDevils.com.

    The story says that few '09 west coast recruits have improved their stock this spring more than Tyler Honeycutt. Tyler said it all happened in the span of about two weeks, because of his play with his AAU team.

    The article says he's intriguing because of his length and skill set, that he can handle the ball well and shoot consistently to beyond the three-point line, and he's willing to mix it up inside, despite his slight narrow-shouldered frame, and blocked several shots during the Cactus Classic.

    He agrees with the author that everybody's comparing him to Gonzaga star Austin Daye, though he says he thinks he shoots a little bit better than Austin but Austin is a little longer.

    Says he'd probably rather play in the Pac-10, but he'd go anywhere.

    Not altogether encouraging to me as far as the Zags' chances are concerned. Hope the coaching staff is dancing fast as they can if they want this guy.

    P.S. He also says he's grown about 3" every summer since 8th grade. (He's 6'7 right now.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    New Rivals story about Tyler (subscription) on ASUDevils.com.

    The story says that few '09 west coast recruits have improved their stock this spring more than Tyler Honeycutt. Tyler said it all happened in the span of about two weeks, because of his play with his AAU team.

    The article says he's intriguing because of his length and skill set, that he can handle the ball well and shoot consistently to beyond the three-point line, and he's willing to mix it up inside, despite his slight narrow-shouldered frame, and blocked several shots during the Cactus Classic.

    He agrees with the author that everybody's comparing him to Gonzaga star Austin Daye, though he says he thinks he shoots a little bit better than Austin but Austin is a little longer.

    Says he'd probably rather play in the Pac-10, but he'd go anywhere.

    Not altogether encouraging to me as far as the Zags' chances are concerned. Hope the coaching staff is dancing fast as they can if they want this guy.

    P.S. He also says he's grown about 3" every summer since 8th grade. (He's 6'7 right now.)
    Remember, it was an ASU (Pac-10) interview. Kids by and large try to say what the interviewer would like to hear. That's why neutral guys get more objective statements and are more accurate.

    I'm expecting to see a Joe Burton interview soon.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Near Nature, Near Perfect
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    I'm actually pretty comfortable with his list. Not every kid will go to UCLA, I doubt they will offer. I would hope he would think twice about going to 'Zona with the turmoil there. We can compete well against K State Washington (for non-Seattle kids) and USC.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    New Rivals story about Tyler (subscription) on ASUDevils.com.
    He agrees with the author that everybody's comparing him to Gonzaga star Austin Daye, though he says he thinks he shoots a little bit better than Austin but Austin is a little longer.
    Hard to imagine that he is an even better shooter than Austin. Austin's freshmen stats were pretty amazing shooting 48% from the floor, 41% behind the arc and 88% from the free throw line. I guess he will soon have the chance to prove himself in a couple years.
    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."-Teddy Roosevelt

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bremerville
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    OUch, Coach! Hope Gonzaga was among the few doing their job and was in there recruiting before the kid caught fire with his AAU team in the public eye.
    Sounds like whomever is covering Cali recruiting on the coaching staff is doing a pretty good job ... Daye, Honeycutt, some of the others BZ has mentioned. That bodes well for GU.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,093

    Default

    More about Tyler from another Greg Hicks story today (subscription, of course), this one a wrap up about the Cactus Classic:

    Tyler Honeycutt, 6-7 JR SF Sylmar (Calif.) High. Honeycutt is just a baby and you can tell he’s nowhere close to done physically. He’s very slender and it will be awhile before he fills out. However, he’s extremely skilled and he possesses a very good feel for the game. He shot the ball extremely well in Tucson and he shoots it as well as any forward in the west. While he’s slender, Honeycutt isn’t soft. He was mixing it up inside for a Pump N Run team that was missing its usual post presence in Reeves Nelson. Honeycutt also has a chance to be a very good defender. He’s already got great timing as a shot-blocker. Yes, he’s skinny, but so were Tayshaun Prince and Reggie Miller. Honeycutt has a chance to be among the elite players in the west for 2009.
    Skinny guys, unite and give a big hurrah to Tayshaun Prince and Reggie Miller! Skinny kid makes good ... sometimes!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,882

    Default

    Did anyone see that long, skinny guy from Detroit block that dunk attempt last night vs Orlando? I think our long, skinny guy can do that this year.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •