Thread: OJ Mayo may tank USC basketball

Default OJ Mayo may tank USC basketball

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3389049

OJ Mayo received thousands of dollars of clothes, televisions, hotel rooms, and perks from agents his freshman year at USC. Apparently there's receipts as proof for all of it by an insider.

What amazes me is that there was an NCAA investigation DURING the season when Mayo received those comp'd tickets from Carmelo Anthony and the NCAA found nothing.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Does this mean that it wasn't just fate that brought Mayo to Floyd's doorstep? I'm shocked. Now what school did Reggie Bush attend?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

They don't call it the "University of Spoiled Children" for nothing. . .so now the talking heads will prattle on about "lack of institutional control," they should have know the agent was bad news, etc.

Screw 'em.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 05-12-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Among the most corrupt places ever! Over at UCLA, it's not so blatant but there has been a lot of cleaning up in the past several years. Althought the scope or extent might be surprising, does it really surprise anyone when OJ was the one who told Floyd he'd be playing for him? He didn't ask, OJ told ! And Floyd just said OK.
    One thing good is that OJ is gone. One thing bad is that the school has slipped away so far. Considering this, and other high profile cases (as Bird points out), I suspect USC should be hearing from the NCAA soon. Funny how it took ESPN to open this up. It's been pretty known is LA circles for a long long time. We'll see how this turns out. The wages of sin.......

I think this is one time ESPN really wanted to have all its evidence in order before breaking the story, since they sole access to the whistle blower. And for once, it looks like they actually did.
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Mayo was bad news. USC lost its purity when Gabe Pruitt and Nick Young left for the NBA. I had been a USC basketball fan for some time before getting in to USD, and until then it was a pleasure for me to sit and watch the USC games with my family. When Gabe and Nick left, it became very easy for me to let go. OJ brought with him an attitude that I hadn't seen before when watching SC games. He didn't even look like he was having fun. He looked as if he was doing his time so that he could make the big bills. I guess that he didn't wait long enough. The minute OJ stepped on that campus, USC lost its heart. It looks like they could be paying for this by way of lost scholarships in the coming years. Man, some big time recruits are just cancer. Can't these kids just wait?! They're on their way to plasma screens as big as my backyard at the next level. People can be so selfish.
    Torerograd '10

Lose two schollies to a really bad APR and toss in what essentially looks like nowhere near any kind of due diligence when unemployed athelete from WV gets a flat screen TV and new clothes constantly and not a soul is questioning this? Floyd and USC should lose at least 1 or two more schollies and be put on probation for a few years.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

What is the punishment for the player in this situation? I would expect to see more of this for these one and done guys that are only attending college because they are forced to. Do you think OJ Mayo cares if USC gets punished?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagpower View Post
    What is the punishment for the player in this situation? I would expect to see more of this for these one and done guys that are only attending college because they are forced to. Do you think OJ Mayo cares if USC gets punished?
    Nope. He could care less and at worst it may tarnish his image only slightly.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

This is a very, very well written article by Luke Winn over at SI.com about the situation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ons/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zagpower View Post
    you said it...

straight from hs, or after their 2nd, 3rd or 4th year is fine by me but I hate the current system.

The NBA wont punish Mayo, and the NCAA can't punish him because he will be gone. The only thing stopping him would be respect for the program, which presumably a lot of people being somewhat forced to play in college for a year wont have.

The NBA's rule change was entirely to clean up the perception of its image. There was a perception that too many high schoolers declaring for the draft dont cut it (wrong), that the quality was getting bad (more a product of expansion, superstar/big market biased referees, and bad rule changes than of KG or Kobe), and that players who went to college...however breifly...conducted themselves better (Marbury? Artest? Wallace? Carter? Iverson?).

The rule hurts NCAA ball and its very annoying