Thread: Did SCU Start Fouling Too Soon?

Default Did SCU Start Fouling Too Soon?

I guess not, because the Zags were shooting terrible at the line, but did it seem to anyone else that SCU started fouling awfully early?

It was obvious that Davey gambled on fouling Bouldin in the backcourt with plenty of time still left and down 5, hoping he would continue his recent mediocre free throw shooting. Bouldin nailed both of them.
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

I thought they started early but it almost worked. When they got it to 5 then knocked Raivio down without a foul call I was a little worried. SCU had the ball with 45 seconds left only down five and we had just missed several free throws.

Then inexplicably SCU throws up a ball 5 feet beyond the nba line and missed and then you know the rest!

Default Re:

The mystery foul was when they deliberately fouled Bouldin with about 2 minutes left (I think). I think Davey wanted to test him to see if he was vulnerable at the line as a freshman. I seem to recall that Matt hit both foul shots...so that strategy went down the drain.

SCU probably started the fouling game at the right time. They are not the type of team that's proficient at quickly getting good shots off....not enough guys that can burn you off the dribble. By fouling early, they could prolong the game more, but allow enough time to operate their offense.

What saved Gonzaga last night in those final minutes was their defense and big time rebounding. That blocked 3 point shot that Downs had was big, and the pressure they applied forced SCU to chew up more clock than they wanted to.

did you notice that they were fouling late? Downs got tossed to the floor by someone (forget who) and then Pargo got shoved by D.P. as the clock wound down below 5 seconds.

GU Class of '07

You can never start fouling too early. What are Ref's supposed to do, just look for broken noses?
    "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Majerus all of a sudden is no blood-no foul.
    "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

There were some very physical fouls late, you might as well get your moneys worth if you are going to foul.

My favorite was when Pendo got tangled up on top, was thrown to the floor, and then got up to bury a three. He got off the floor and took the shot in one motion.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.