Thread: Free Throw Shooting...Putrid!

Default Free Throw Shooting...Putrid!

Wow, do we ever need to turn the tide in this area of the game! I haven't looked at the box score but we missed way too many foul shots last night.

This is going to hurt us in the tourney if we don't get this fixed.

Default Take some things in context...

Pargo went 3-5 on a bad wheel. He doesn't miss them like that often.

Downs had an off night last night. He is usually better than the 3-8 he was last night. He isn't a stellar FT shooter, but not that bad.

Pendo missed 3 going 2-5 and he is typically a 70% shooter.

We are #15 in the country shooting 75%... the best is at 77%. I'm not THAT worried about our FT shooting.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I got a kick out of Pendo's reaction to one he mised late in the game. He missed it badly (clanking high off the back of the rim) and proceeded to toss his arms high in the arm in disbelief. Funny. I'm glad the game was pretty much decided at that point.

I think we have to be worried about our free-throw shooting. Since the loss to LMU (9 games) the team as a whole is only shooting 66.5% (131 of 197). Excluding Raivio, we're only shooting 55.8% (82 of 147). To me, those are troubling numbers.

The team should be concerned, certainly. I posted similar numbers to those posted by Jake--the team minus DRav post JH is atrocious at the line. Obviously, Davey saw those same numbers and instructed his team to start fouling early last night, and trying to foul those players not wearing number 5.

From last night:

A quick look: Team was 21-32, with DRav going 10-10 leaving the rest at 11-22, another 50% performance from the line. Bad. Bad. Bad.

Even worse: Last 10 minutes of the game ("Shaq: I can make them when it counts" tiime) -- team was 16-25 with DRav at 6-6 so the rest of team was 10 for 19 or 53% down the stretch. Matt was the only other player besides DRav to hit both free throws during one trip to the line (caveat Pargo was 2-3 on a 3 free throw try). Nine of the team's 11 misses were in the last ten minutes of the second half (then again, only 7 free throws were shot before then). From the point Davey had his players foul: Zags not named DRav were 6-12--any coach would swap 6 points in 6 possessions in the last two minutes. The downside of Davey's strategy was that his team was also forced to foul DRav twice during that span and of course he was 4-4.

Even more troublesome: The worse offenders were guys one would think should be hitting 80% from the line: Pargo 3-5, Downs 3-8, and Pendo 2-5. Kuso didn't even have an attempt to bring down the average.

http://216.229.189.28/showthread.php?t=1159
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Thumbs up I'm not that worried about it...

and here's why. The last few weeks the team has had to completely revamp the offense and defense to adjust to life without Josh. With limits on practice time and the WCC tourney right around the corner, I imagine that the coaching staff focused more on adjusting the game plan and more fully integrating players (Pendo, Micah) into the these schemes than on fundamentals such as FT shooting.
    While the last few games have not been pretty from the line, as long as Ravio's still shooting a substantial proportion of the free throws, particularly in crunch time they should be fine. Also, with the long lay-off before the tourney starts, the coaches will have more opportunity to focus on the fundamentals now that the team has shown they can operate under the new designs. The fellas will be fine, FTs are largely mental and a little time off and extra practice will prove to reverse the current trend and they'll return to fine form. Bring on the Tourney!