Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shout out to Sean

Default Shout out to Sean

Let's not forget our "other" senior tonight.

DRAV stepped up tonight, certainly.

I just want to show some "love" for Sean Mallon who has given everything to this program over the last few years - and has kept the boat steady all year long.

He's earned some time for him to rest, heal, and strengthen that ankle, so he can make some BCS "future draft-pick" look foolish with his spin-move :-)

Agreed
    TM

I noticed that Sean didn't get shoved around by SC's big guy. His own offense gets nullified by big opponents, but he sure helps protect the paint against those same bigs, and collects a decent number of boards.

i love sean too but i wont miss watching him catch the ball at the three point line and do that weird jump stop that looks like he travels everytime, he gets called on it depending on who refs. last game vs. SC he was called for it a few times but luckily last night the refs turned a blind eye.

If anybody has video of the last two games, it would be worth it to review them and watch what Sean does. Nothing flashy, but he played some very solid minutes. He bodied up some monsters on D and he pulled down some key rebounds all on a bum wheel.

Birddog

I remember the first time I saw him play when he was a Freshman at Ferris and he was on a team that beat Walla Walla at regionals and then lost to them in the State Championship. He has been a workhorse without seeking the fanfare ever since. Kudos to Mallon.
    P.S. Guess who was the leading shooter for the Walla Walla team?

Give me a break - 23 minutes, 2 rebounds. Why was he in the game? His numbers last night were not good by any stretch of the imagination.

Great positive post. Nice way to celebrate the career of a great Zag.

What was the point?

You could just easily say that Kuso fouling out after 19 minutes with only 5 boards and 0 points on the board was "not good by any stretch of the imagination."

The box score doesn't say it all.
    Last edited by brasszag; 03-06-2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling - darn homonyms

Default great heart & leadership

This kid has done everything asked of him. He has earned and deserves the respect he has gained. His guts and resolve are likely the only reason he keeps coming back.

I don't want to see him thrown under the bus. I do want him to heal as quickly as possible and perhaps, for the coaches in the meantime, to realize his best contribution will be as a role player who should get a few less minutes in order to let this transition team work with five healthy players versus four.

I would say the same thing if it were pargo or pendo, limping along trying their level best, but demonstrably hampered by an injury.

In the jungle that is the NCAA's, it will be the weak ones that are picked on. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice this gamer is not at full strength.
    Last edited by gamagin; 03-06-2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    Give me a break - 23 minutes, 2 rebounds. Why was he in the game? His numbers last night were not good by any stretch of the imagination.
    Always the Mallon hater right JayRay.

Nothing wrong with being negative, but I have no idea what game you watched, but regardless of numbers Sean was out on that floor working, disrupting shots by the behemoth and holding his ground against 300lbs. Sorry it doesn't show up in the precious stat sheet for you.

I'll never understand why you or others would find the need to rip a guy who has given his heart and soul to this team.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

To the original intent of this thread.

Thank you Sean Mallon. The quintessential Bulldog and definition of Student Athlete.

I, for one, appreciate all that you have contributed to this team in your 5 years. Your legacy cannot be muddied by the doubters. An undeniable winner!

Default zaglawdad

Sean held his own against some pretty big guys. When Sean is in he's barking out defensive assignments like a floor general. He took two pretty good charges last night. When the other team starts a run, Sean comes in and the run is over. Sean always contributes. Too bad the negative poster (no names mentioned) never seems to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikancagin View Post
    I remember the first time I saw him play when he was a Freshman at Ferris and he was on a team that beat Walla Walla at regionals and then lost to them in the State Championship. He has been a workhorse without seeking the fanfare ever since. Kudos to Mallon.
    P.S. Guess who was the leading shooter for the Walla Walla team?
    That would be another former senior leader named Kyle Bankhead.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishZag View Post
    That would be another former senior leader named Kyle Bankhead.
    That is correct. I have enjoyed both Sean and Kyle over the years not for particular numbers but for their heart. It can never be replaced. I also feel they embody the attitude of "we'll play anybody, anywhere, anytime". I think the last several games following "Joshgate" shows that same attitude is back.
    Go Sean and all. You represent us well.

Sean was indeed fantastic on D last night, especially drawing some momentum swinging charges. Thank you Sean.

In regards to jayray, that's what the ignore button is for on this forum

GU Class of '07

Mallon = Leadership and Veteran Experience.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I thought one defensive play towards the end of the game was pivotal. Bryant got the ball down low and was trying to bull his way closer to the basket, but Sean kept his feet moving and held his ground, forcing Bryant into an errant shot. I was impressed that Bryant wasn't able to use his massive body to get any closer to the hoop. Maybe it takes a slow fat guy to gaurd a slow fat guy!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Always the Mallon hater right JayRay.

Nothing wrong with being negative, but I have no idea what game you watched, but regardless of numbers Sean was out on that floor working, disrupting shots by the behemoth and holding his ground against 300lbs. Sorry it doesn't show up in the precious stat sheet for you.

I'll never understand why you or others would find the need to rip a guy who has given his heart and soul to this team.
    Hey, I just gave numbers - that is all. No personal attacks, just said his numbers last night were not good. And they weren't. I agree he provides leadership. He has had good games too - last night was just not one of them. In my view Kuso plays just as hard or harder as Mallon. He puts up better numbers and is one of the most improved players on the team. So, BrassZag, cutting Kuso down to make Mallon look better is in my opinion way more of a negative comment than my original post.

brasszag wasn't cutting down Kuso, he was highlighting the holes in your logic. You should be throwing Kuso under the bus as well if you go by "just the numbers." The point that is being made is that the stat sheet doesn't say it all. If all you had done was say that his stats were lousy, that's one thing. But to say he shouldn't be in the game because of those stats is what people are finding absurd.

GU Class of '07

Default A "Truck" but a Mack Bulldog, for sure.

Sean has been a contributor to Gonzaga success his whole career. While not gifted with tremendous speed,he as done all in his power to utilize his many abilities and his leadership to help this Club. He more than holds his own against some pretty big guys. So I say that if He is a truck he is a "Mack Bulldog!".
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by tobizag View Post
    brasszag wasn't cutting down Kuso, he was highlighting the holes in your logic. You should be throwing Kuso under the bus as well if you go by "just the numbers." The point that is being made is that the stat sheet doesn't say it all. If all you had done was say that his stats were lousy, that's one thing. But to say he shouldn't be in the game because of those stats is what people are finding absurd.
    Kuso had 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. Was a greater presence down low and while he also didn't have a good game his numbers were clearly better. And its not just the stats I am looking at. I am also taking into consideration how slow Mallon is up the court. It was not my intent to compare Mallon to Kuso - someone else brought that up. I was looking at when GU went on runs last night and it was always when Mallon was not in the game. How can you argue he had a good game? He was not rebounding, not getting up the court, and besides one defensive charge he took - he was not in any shape or form instrumental to the GU runs last night. I am in no way saying he is not a good guy or a leader. I am just saying in both in numbers and the things the numbers don't show Mallon did not have a good game. I am not saying he shouldn't be playing at all just that I would rather see Foster/Burgess get some time. I am all ears for things I may have missed last night - please point them out and provide me with something more than just 'stat sheet doesn't say it all'.

Jayray,

Thanks for shaking salt and pepper on our chocolate cake.

Just can't enjoy the moment, huh?

-Puzzled in SLC

Are there any places on the net where you can find plus/minus numbers for college games? The stat that shows how much team scores or gives up for every minute a player is in the game?

I'm not sure last night was a good example, but over the season Mallon has to have one of the best plus/minus numbers on the team.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Jayray,

Thanks for shaking salt and pepper on our chocolate cake.

Just can't enjoy the moment, huh?

-Puzzled in SLC
    I am just as happy as every one else on here. And I am just adding to the debate on here - that is all. Nothing more, nothing less. I would not have started a thread on this - just had to add my opinion. I want GU to win just like you. I want GU to put the best guys out there - guys that are going to get it done. If someone is not playing good they should get limited minutes. Whether it be PMAC or Mallon.

jayray,

for things other than "stat sheet doesn't say it all" see the above posts.

GU Class of '07