Thread: Pendo is the key reason why GU is dancing

Default Pendo is the key reason why GU is dancing

It took a total team effort for Gonzaga to win the regular season and postseason WCC titles, and I really hate to single out one guy for praise....but the guy who deserves the largest amount of credit here is David Pendergraft.

This is what Pendo has done the last five games:

13.4 Points per game
    65% field goal shooting
    53% from three point land
    6.4 Rebounds per game
    1.8 Steals per game

Pendo is the guy who is most responsible for making up for the loss of Heytvelt. Compare his production the past 5 games to what took place the rest of the year...

If he doesn't step it up, GU doesn't dance...end of story. Again, everyone had to step it up, but for me, Pendo has been the key guy in this thing.

Aside from the name-flub.

That's an AWESOME pic.

Default I agree with...

Downs as a close second. He is playing awesome.

Totally agree on Pendo being the x-factor offensively, but I would argue that Downs' rebounding has also been a huge, huge factor. I think he almost had another double-double tonight. He was really pressing offensively tonight, but did enough on the glass to prevent SCU from tearing GU up on the inside. So as much as Pendo has really stepped up, I still maintain it's been a combined effort that has negated Heytvelt's loss.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Could not agree more CDC. In addition to his great play, Pendo is the leader of this team with his work ethic and great attitude.

An arguement could be made for Kuso, too.

It has been an up and down year, but this could go down as one of my favorite teams of all time. Now it is time to make some noise.

Those are eye-popping stats, thanks CDC! Pendo has really stepped up and I'm pretty sure everyone on this board would have agreed even without the mathematical proof. The red-head has been HUGE. He's been a key player since Stanford, I'd say, but he's put it into another gear recently. Gotta love the guy.

It was the change in offense which gave DP and Others the opportunity to step up and David did as well as anyone in that department. Just imagine if events didn't happen as they did. We would still be trying to pound the ball inside or attempting to wait for Raivio to break free from a suffocating defense on every play. Our present situation is a lot less predictable, a lot more enjoyable to watch, and definitely more successful than our old broken record game. A lot of that enjoyment is seeing Pendo be given the opportunity at long last to show us what he can do. I hope the coaches are taking notes for next year.

I agree - the offense has looked a LOT better since mid-January or so. In some ways, I think there was some attempt to pound a square peg in a round hole offensively sometimes this season and not enough practice time at home to correct it. The team has looked a lot better since the change. Agree that it'd be nice to see again next year.

Is this the same guy who couldnt play only a few weeks ago?

I'm loving all those pictures. :-D Of course, I had to put that picture of Pendo as my wallpaper for my desktop
    "Just a team with a bunch of heart and guts, scrapping and battling for everything." Mark Few

Thanks for those stats CDC. I completely agree with you. Big Red is taking over, stepping it up. Its great to see Pendo finally show us what he can do. Don't forget he's been playing out of position his enitre GU career, something that doesn't help with the scoring. Maybe I'm biased b/c I know Pendo, but I'm finally glad to see him doing well. Just my 2 cents.
    " 'Damn! I made a lot of stupid – and you can quote me on this – stupid-ass plays. Man, that's gross. But at least we got the win.' " -Jeremy Pargo

I agree with you, GonzagaGurl08, although we might say that he has always done well, and is now receiving the recognition he deserves. Since you know him, please tell him about how much people appreciate his attitude and approach to the game.

That picture of Pendo is a classic. . .he looks like a mountain man who just killed a big ol bear with his bare hands. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default Pendo's Quote Says It All

Pendergraft said. "I mean, we came through this like brothers, especially after what happened a month ago. This is awesome, an amazing feeling."
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Default Pendo is....

....the quintessential Zag......no doubt, CD, great stats.......Downs' bounding has been a close 2nd with respect to stepping up......One of these days, MD is gonna hit about 12 of 15.........and they will dub him the next Ammo......not quite the fire of Ammo, but nearly as good a shooter and maybe a better rebounder.........

Default Josh's errant ways...

... gave us two guys that stepped up.

IMHO Pendo+Downs is way better than Heytvelt. They made up for his production and then some.

If Josh is back next year... imagine this starting 5:

Bouldin - PG
    Pargo - SG
    Downs - SF
    Pendo - PF
    Heytvelt - C

Toss in Kuso with solid minutes....

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default Careful, LIZF

.............Bouldin at the PG???? They will come after u, all the dunk lovers.....Hey. LI, is Roberts safe? Down here, this morning's paper has Holland on the way out at USD.............on the local radio a few days ago, Bill Frieder was saying he wd have loved the SJU job a few yrs ago and lamented whats happened in Hillcrest......But u knw all that

The Brewster Rooster doing some well deserved crowing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Birddog

The Brewster Rooster doing some well deserved crowing.

Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    .............Bouldin at the PG???? They will come after u, all the dunk lovers.....Hey. LI, is Roberts safe? Down here, this morning's paper has Holland on the way out at USD.............on the local radio a few days ago, Bill Frieder was saying he wd have loved the SJU job a few yrs ago and lamented whats happened in Hillcrest......But u knw all that
    Pargo will get even more dunk opps at SG if you ask me. Matt is such a natural passer that I'd like to see him run the point next year.

IMHO Roberts should be safe. His recruiting is solid and they have improved year after year. They should be solidly in the mix next year. Nobody on Redmen.com is calling for his head so that is one positive sign for him. Jarvis really really drove that program into a deep hole. Roberts is still climbing out, but he is close enough to reach the edge of that hole now.
    Last edited by LongIslandZagFan; 03-06-2007 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Added in comments about Matt at PG
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default MVT-Most Valuable Team-mate.

A poem: When the game is on the line, and we need a board or shot,theres only one Zag I can name who'll be there more than not. He does'nt leap the highest, He's not the fastest on the floor, but if they measured heart & fight,his rating would be out of sight. You never see him half-step,or give less than his best, whatever PENDO's called to do, He'll always pass the test!Congrats on making the WCC All-Tourney-Team, David. We are so proud of you!
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

I've always liked Pendo's game and his step-up of late seems to have been due to the extra opportunities.

Let's give credit also to whoever on the coaching staff thought of running the pick-and-pop to death between D-Rav and Pendo. Genius. If any team decides to play through those screens, D-Rav will have 35 points.

PENDO FOR PRESIDENT!

Where can I get my shirt?
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!