Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New info on Taylor King

Default New info on Taylor King

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3338664

Looks like we are in the Final 3 for him as well

For one, it looks obvious that he and Coach K didn’t click when you look closely at his comments.

... or when you look at him nailed to the bench the last month+ of the season when duke wasnt exactly lighting the world on fire, despite a strong w/l record.

He's obviously very talented, and I sure hope we land him. And I don't give much credence to the argument that him leaving Duke after just one year reflects poorly upon his character. With the potential money that is involved in a professional basketball career, it's important for these kids to find schools that are going to help them succeed. If he knew that Duke wasn't his best interests, then I applaud him for having the guts to transfer from what is a very well-respected and successful program. I'm sure that was a hard decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    He's obviously very talented, and I sure hope we land him. And I don't give much credence to the argument that him leaving Duke after just one year reflects poorly upon his character. With the potential money that is involved in a professional basketball career, it's important for these kids to find schools that are going to help them succeed. If he knew that Duke wasn't his best interests, then I applaud him for having the guts to transfer from what is a very well-respected and successful program. I'm sure that was a hard decision.
    Completely agree.

Often times these kids are chastised by the masses because they transfer schools. People forget that these ball players are just kids who are looking to fit in not only on the court but also with their classmates. King made a huge leap in leaving California to go all the way across country to North Carolina. Just because he transfered people must not attribute it to him having a bad character or anything of the sort. Maybe he just didn't fit in with the rest of the kids there, I'm sure Huntington Beach, CA and Durham, NC aren't the most similar of places. Many kids "take shots" at schools far away just to see what its like and wind up homesick or just plain not fitting in.

I hope King finds his new home here as Gonzaga has been extremely successful not only at getting transfers from Juco or major schools but also keeping kids here for the duration of their college tenure. He would be a valuable asset for this team and I hope he realizes it when he comes to visit Spokane.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoZAG615 View Post
    Completely agree.

Often times these kids are chastised by the masses because they transfer schools. People forget that these ball players are just kids who are looking to fit in not only on the court but also with their classmates. King made a huge leap in leaving California to go all the way across country to North Carolina. Just because he transfered people must not attribute it to him having a bad character or anything of the sort. Maybe he just didn't fit in with the rest of the kids there, I'm sure Huntington Beach, CA and Durham, NC aren't the most similar of places. Many kids "take shots" at schools far away just to see what its like and wind up homesick or just plain not fitting in.

I hope King finds his new home here as Gonzaga has been extremely successful not only at getting transfers from Juco or major schools but also keeping kids here for the duration of their college tenure. He would be a valuable asset for this team and I hope he realizes it when he comes to visit Spokane.
    When I arrived at Gonzaga...well, it was so long ago that Edison was in middle school...I was 900 miles away from home, and there was no turning back. I had a good thing back home: fantastic parents, a good job (as far as part-time jobs for HS kids go), a wonderful and extremely pretty girl friend (whose father always had free tickets for the Oakland A's), and four bowling buddies (all of us had dreams of making it to the PBA...it was routine for us to practice upwards of 100 games every week).

As my mother dropped me off, and I saw the station wagon drive out of sight, all I could think of is "what in the tarnation am I doing here?" Fortunately, I acclimated pretty quickly. As most of us know, Gonzaga is a pretty unique place. I can't imagine how things would have turned out at a different school, especially if I had matriculated at a school 3000 miles from home.

I wish the best for Taylor, as I do for all young men and women that take the leap from HS to college.

I spent two more summers in the Bay Area, worked as a forest firefighter for the state of CA, kept bowling, girlfriend dumped me...standard stuff.

i dont think homesickness has anything to do with this, btw. i think this is strictly a business decision.

from what i've heard of this kid and his dad, i would guess that he ends up at nova or usc, though i dont see a great fit at either. i wouldnt be entirely surprised if he made a decision shortly after this weekend's visit... but if he doesnt, i would expect nova will be out of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    (whose father always had free tickets for the Oakland A's), and four bowling buddies (all of us had dreams of making it to the PBA...it was routine for us to practice upwards of 100 games every week).
    Man, you must be old. Was Chris Schenkel announcing the PBA Tour on Wide World of Sports? I suppose Catfish Hunter autographed your PF Flyers?

--------------------------

As for King... I can only guess, and that's all it is, a guess, but I think if Jeff Taylor commits to GU, GU won't take Taylor King. Otoh, if Jeff Taylor chooses Texas, we'll see King in a Zag uni.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    I don't think so at all. As the season progressed he lost time to both Singler and Scheyer. TK is a product of hype, very one dimensional and apparently his nickname among his teammates at Puke was icey-hot, due to his consistent inconsistency. Honestly, not interested.

Honestly, not interested.

It's a wonder you aren't being consulted first by Few and Company with regards to this decision.

king= overrated basketball player

doesnt know how to play the game, not savy, just a shooter.

Micah downs is not savy either but atleast he knows how to play defense and he hustles and plays hard.

King only knows how to shoot and often forces bad shots.

See how micah never gets to the free throw line, King is the same way, he doesnt know how to move without the ball, get to the line or penetrate.

The difference, micah plays great on D, is a good rebounder, hustles, doesnt force shots and plays hard even when things arent going well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    It's a wonder you aren't being consulted first by Few and Company with regards to this decision.
    Yea, my bad. What was I thinking posting my opinion on a message board?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoZAG615 View Post
    Completely agree.

Completely agree Philip Rivers owns your soul?

I think few is a great coach but spy is correct. I love the sets few runs, he is a very good in game coach and although the is criticized for not being personable enough he gets a lot out of his players.

Still the point remains, king is overrated. Could he be a nice piece for Gonzaga? yes. But if he thinks he can be adam morrison, he better adjust his game, learn to get to the line attack the rim and do much more. Few needs to get back to developing talent, rather than just accumulating it. We are full of great talents who all have gapping weaknesses. Just develope the players we have.

King could be a nice asset but he wont accept a role, he thinks he is a stud but he is NOT.

The players at Gonzaga set their sights high. In the preseaon they commented that the goal was to win a national championship. People can debate if that is possible or not, but the visiting kids want to hear that kind of talk from the players.
    I miss Mike Hart

Default TZF wrote

<<especially if I had matriculated at a school 3000 miles from home >>

maybe you should have explained to your (ex) girlfriend that most kids matriculate at that age, whether far away at school or not.

Taylor was a McDonald's All-American and recruited by one of the country's best college basketball programs -- he clearly is a talented basketball player. Also, where's all this "overrated" talk coming from?? I don't remember anyone expecting him to be the next Carmelo Anthony. Also, he's only played one season -- who knows, he may still become a great player. I just think all this negative talk about Taylor is pretty unfounded.

Take it from people like Cair and me who have grown up in California during the time that King was in High School and have watched him play on numerous occasions. Having ego and confidence from a player such as Daye is great, however, a guy like King takes it to another level because he will literally hauck up the ball every chance he can get. This can be evidenced by the fact that he is a one-way player (offense only) and is notorious for not working hard enough on the other end.

Right now, King's mentality is "which school will service me best", not "which school can I service best".

We have benefited from talented players who transfer to us. It's not like he got lost on the bench behinds scrubs...it was behind very talented players. I would gladly welcome him to our team. He is a freshman, it is expected that he would be somewhat streaky.

If Zags were hoping for Rotnei Clarke than Taylor King could fill that type of role from a different position. Catch 'n' shoot (Golden/Appleby style). I envision Taylor King as a role player.

Instant offense off the bench. If he is cold then pull him.

Now the kid from Texas is a different story......
    I miss Mike Hart

One thing to keep in mind, as with all transfers.....this is the end of the line for King. Once he picks his school, he has to tough it out because he can't transfer to another D-1 school. It'll be D-2. That gives the coach that's taking him a lot of might to lay down the ground rules about what he expects in terms of on and off the court related stuff. King is most likely going to be told that "you will play defense," "you will play hard," etc., by Floyd, Few and Wright. He's not going to have much of a choice but to go along with what the coach wants. This is why so many transfers - even controversial ones - end up working out in the end.

I don't think that their is any sort of logical argument which can be made for us not wanting Taylor King unless people can tell me that he will lower the overall skill and talent of this team. And honestly like calizaggin said, the kid is good enough for Duke to sign him originally, for him to be a burger boy and now Villanova, USC, and Gonzaga are trying to acquire his services.

I understand that people have seen him play and think he is a bit of a chucker and the sort but why not give him a chance? I think King is an instant improvement compared to some of the players we currently have on scholarship. That is to take no offense to any of our players but the facts and stats are right in front of our faces. Why not add a pure talent like King to the bench. The only problem I can forsee is if we treat him like Micah where he is an excellent shooter but has to come off the bench for brief spurts and can never catch fire. This would be the worst case scenario but I think it is a chance worth taking based on skill and talent. I'll let Few and the coaches evaluate his ability and his personality when he visits. I'm sure they will make the best judgment and will be able to tell if he fits into what we are trying to do.

Micah Downs was a purported team cancer and underachiever per the Kansas fanbase before he got here as well.

The thing about the King scenario I like is that he would be a nice piece to the team, but not an essential one, much like Micah was when he arrived. Having a redshirt year with the senior Pargo and good upperclassman leadership would do a lot.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

I don't know if this is news, but a story in the DailyBreeze.com about O. J. May declaring for the draft tonight has a footnote that says:
    Meanwhile, USC is recruiting Duke forward Taylor King, who announced earlier this month he was transferring. King is also considering Gonzaga and Villanova.

Sources said USC wants King for his perimeter shooting. King, who is 6-foot-7, considered USC while attending Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana but dropped them before making his final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    <<especially if I had matriculated at a school 3000 miles from home >>

maybe you should have explained to your (ex) girlfriend that most kids matriculate at that age, whether far away at school or not.
    It was a delayed reaction, owing to the fact that I'm still half asleep.