Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Grier to Oregon State

The worry I have about Oregon State is that while it's a program that certainly has some tradition, the Pac 10 is just a different conference now than it was when Ralph Miller was putting up the wins. The Pac 10 is tougher than it has ever been from top to bottom, and upward mobility is a much, much more difficult thing than it used to be. Not saying it can't be done, but it is going to be very hard, and it would be to Oregon State's benefit to see a few other teams in league fall on hard times.

imo, the thing that makes the osu job appealing to grier outside of family ties and money is this: the school has a tremendous athletic dept and recent national exposure thanks to big time success in other sports.

with back to back national titles in baseball, and a very solid football program that in recent years has achieved very high national rankings and played in very presitigious bowl games, the money and success is there. with grier's ability to recruit solid players who buy into a system of core values, and with the chance to make some noise in arguably the strongest conference in the country, the job seems to fit. grier will be able to straighten that program out by bringing in players of upstanding character and strong work ethic. and when he starts upsetting schools in the pac-10, it will get plenty of media coverage. when you lose every game in conference, there is no pressure on a new coach.

imho, i hope grier takes the job, and i hope he revives the program at osu.

GU Class of '07

CDC: What do you think is the difference between OSU now and WSU before the Bennetts turned it around? It sure took more than 1 year for Dick Bennett / Tony Bennett to turn it around. It's not like OSU fans had such high expectations that they would demand the new coach to win a Pac 10 championship in his first year. When you are as low as OSU now, there is no way to go but up, and more likely, people will give him more time to turn it around than if he were a coach in UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The worry I have about Oregon State is that while it's a program that certainly has some tradition, the Pac 10 is just a different conference now than it was when Ralph Miller was putting up the wins. The Pac 10 is tougher than it has ever been from top to bottom, and upward mobility is a much, much more difficult thing than it used to be. Not saying it can't be done, but it is going to be very hard, and it would be to Oregon State's benefit to see a few other teams in league fall on hard times.

I would agree that there is nowhere to go but up. It can't get any worse. The question is how much it can go up, and can Oregon State consistently stay at that level.

The thing about Washington State is that a legendary, genius coach took over that program, and then he handed it down to another really, really good coach. I suppose it's possible that a really, really good coach could make OSU into another Wazzu. But whoever they hire isn't going to have the credentials of a Dick Bennett. All I am saying is that there is some uncertainly in regards to anyone being able to bring that program back to the Ralph Miller glory years. Not saying it can't happen.

Default From OSU's point of view

Grier is a perfect candidate. Native. veteran coach who helped build a great program at GU and who also proved, albeit briefly, that he can perform as a head coach, too.

Both BG & OSU will need time to grow the program, but really, WSU lay dormant for a long time before the right guy(s) came along and turned it around in 3-4 years.

It happens. It can be done anywhere with the right coach. I think this could be a really unique opportunity for both if BG takes the plunge. I wouldn't bet against him, either, once he goes to work. whereever that might be.

Default Oregon State Olden Days (Very Olden)

They had a guy named Mel Counts who was 7 feet, and good. And a point guard who was also an AA QB, named Terry Baker. OSU was a very good team in those days. They were a perennial power and they used to have major wars with Seattle U. Both were independents. They typically met three times a year, once in Seattle and once in Corvallis and then in the subregionals, and most of the time OSU won. One year Seattle U won against Slats Gill who was going for his 500th career win. He lost in Oregon (I think it was a McArthur Court in Eugene). Seattle U went on to the regionals and eventually lost to UCLA (gave them their closest game of the entire tournament).

What goes up, must come down. The Beaver will rise again. I am pretty sure about that. And so will Seattle U. And all the plutocrats that say on this board that programs can't start from humble beginnings and still have a great year. Remember 1999. Remember 1958 (Elgin Baylor). Remember 2008
    Drake and Davidson. It has happened, it does happen, and it will happen again.

If Mr. Grier does go to Corvallis, all I can say, is God Bless him. He is going to need some love and sanctifying grace, because as much as I love Oregon, Corvallis isn't in the top ten.

Sili

Default 8 Minutes Left - Down 13

7:45 left in regulation - St. Mary's 50, USD 37.

It's amazing what a single, hard-nosed effort by a few kids on one obscure evening can set in motion. If USD doesn't make an incredible comeback, if Diamon Simpson makes at least one of two missed FTs, if Todd Golden of all players makes the front end of a 1-and-1... then USD doesn't even get to OT let alone win the game...

And Bill Grier gets plenty of slaps on the back for a fine, solid first year at the helm of the Toreros...

And Bill Grier DOESN'T become a multi-million-dollar target and the subject of huge speculation.

Wow.
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    solo deo gloria

Default sili

good post. thanks.

Baker won the Heisman at OSU in 1962. I watched him play. Amazing athlete.

Default Done Deal

Not public yet, but Billy's off to OSU

Default done deal

What's your source?

Good for him and his family. Best of luck with the Beavs and hopefully we get a home and home...

Default 11:30am 4-2-08 update

Grier top choice obviously. Some good info here including some info on Grier's mother as was mentioned elsewhere in this long thread. As the article states, the front door of Gill Colisuem is open if he wants to go in:

http://www.dhonline.com/articles/200...ol01_grier.txt

Default Commentary and more on Grier

Interesting commentary on Grier if you're interested from the North County Times and some info regarding Grier at last nights USD banquet:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008...1f00186f02.txt

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008...1f0012b8f6.txt

Nothing real substantial, as in, he has or has not accepted but there is a lot of interesting stuff here!

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    Exactly why some on this board should not be so quick to throw stones.
    Who should throw them quickly?
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7...m-Oregon-State

Within the next 24 hours we should know according to Jeff Goodman

Default Randy Bennett

...interviewed at Cal today...

#### or get off the ### so this thread can be moved to WCC Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    #### or get off the ### so this thread can be moved to WCC Basketball.

Bob, you should be more welcoming of all of our new San Diego, Oregon State and SMC fans. Gonzaga has such a broad appeal!
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 04-03-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Maybe we can get some Cal fans on here, too!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Bob, you should be more welcoming of all of our new San Diego, Oregon State and SMC fans. Gonzaga has such a broad appeal!
    Directed at Billy Beaver, not any fans.

Default Canzano Breaking News

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanza...eyond_tor.html

Please note that the "breaking news" is that nothing has changed.....

I hope that Billy Grier can take the Oregon State basketball program and do great things there, the man has integrity and is a great coach. Im sorry to all the San Diego Fans out there, but i think SD will find someone else to continue the great job that Billy did for the toreros. I forsee great things for Coach Grier and the Beavers! and as always, LETS GO ZAGS! LETS GO!

If it is true give the USD job to bankhead for sure!
    GO ZAGS