Thread: Happy Birthday John Stockton!

Default Happy Birthday John Stockton!

The ultimate ambassador for the Zags turns 46 today!!! Happy Birthday, John, and here's hoping for another 46 more!

Check out this nice highlight tape of John... amazing!

Default don't go changing your name or anything, but

JS & I share this BDay. And I got it first.

Oh, what the heck, go ahead and change it.

Only have 2.5months on the kid.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Would stockton ever become a coach at GU? Either an assistant or head coach? I know he scrimmages with the players and offers advice...

Default re coaching

the world is his oyster. which is to say, he could.

He is totally wrapped up w/his kids and that involves pick up and delivery, & coaching boys and girls teams at St. Al's with dad, Jack, and a few other friends, plus following his family's athletic and college careers.

That said, he would more likely be and remain an assistant than seek the spotlight head coaching involves, imo. I don't think he'll ever be far from the sports scene, fwiw, and there is a pipeline there to which he is intimately involved and engaged.

then again, who knows what he might do with an empty nest, which is about 10 years ahead.

I'll think about changing it, Gamagin. Your post total *is* pretty impressive.

Stockton will always have an open door at GU, but I would say that he is just as valuable as a visible alum who is obviously still very connected to the program.

Does he still go to every game?

If Few leaves (and I hope not), I think Coach John Stockton would be the greatest replacement ever.
    Welcome to Zagdom

Default JSIMHero

<< Does he still go to every game? >>

I've seen him at most of them, but if not, "some" of his immediate family, or a few friends, are holding down the fort.

Happy Birthday Stocks!

You are a blessed man with a lovely family!

Thanks for being a Zag!

love,
    mendiant (Liz)
    A Zag is generous.

A Zag knows he is much more than the sum of his stats.

A Zag has a desire to be part of something that is bigger than himself.

Happy birthday dude. When I was 13 years old, my dad handed me an article about him and tried to get me to immitate him, unfortunately I looked more like Forest Gump on the basketket ball court
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

One of my favorite pics of JS, from the Gonzaga Media guide:

And get a load of his teammates, from this Dream Team pic:

Edited to add 4EVERaZAG's caption naming players in the photo:

Top Left(Row 5) left to right: Patrick Ewing, Magic Johnson, David Robinson
    Row 4: Christian Laettner, Karl Malone
    Row 3: Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley
    Row 2: Larry Bird, Chuck Daly, Chris Mullin
    Row 1: Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Clyde Drexler
    Last edited by ZagNative; 03-27-2008 at 12:34 PM.

It makes Zagco chuckle to see Christian Laettner in that picture. It's like a "Where's Waldo" thing. Too bad that Dr. J and Kareem weren't around for that team. They only missed it by a few years, and neither one of them ever represented their country.

According to Wiki, following were the members of the '92 dream team:
    Dream Team roster
    * Charles Barkley of the Phoenix Suns via trade from the Philadelphia 76ers
    * Larry Bird of the Boston Celtics
    * Clyde Drexler of the Portland Trail Blazers
    * Patrick Ewing of the New York Knicks
    * Earvin "Magic" Johnson of the Los Angeles Lakers
    * Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls
    * Christian Laettner of Duke University
    * Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz
    * Chris Mullin of the Golden State Warriors
    * Scottie Pippen of the Chicago Bulls
    * David Robinson of the San Antonio Spurs
    * John Stockton of the Utah Jazz

Coach: Chuck Daly of the Detroit Pistons[8]

The only players not named on the NBA's 50 Greatest list were Laettner and Mullin.
    The team assembled by USA Basketball for the tournament in Barcelona in 1992, was one of the most illustrious collections of talent assembled in the history of international sport. Of the 12 players on the team, 10 would be named in 1996 among the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History, the NBA's official list of the 50 greatest players of the league's first 50 years. Because of this star line-up, the team's games usually featured opposing teams asking for pregame photos with their U.S. opponents — and idols[
    Challenge: Left to right, row by row, match the player to the name.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    According to Wiki, following were the members of the '92 dream team:
    Dream Team roster
    Challenge: Left to right, row by row, match the player to the name.
    Top Left(Row 5) left to right: Patrick Ewing, Magic Johnson, David Robinson
    Row 4: Christian Laettner, Karl Malone
    Row 3: Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley
    Row 2: Larry Bird, Chuck Daly, Chris Mullin
    Row 1: Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Clyde Drexler
    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."-Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by zagco View Post
    ...chuckle to see Christian Laettner in that picture. It's like a "Where's Waldo" thing.
    Laettner is one of only four players to play in four consecutive Final Fours, and the only one to ever start in all four Final Fours. He owns the record for most tournament games played, which may never be beaten (to do so, someone would have to play in four straight Finals).

Laettner is perhaps best known for his game-winning last-second jump shot in Duke's dramatic 104-103 victory over Kentucky in the East regional final of the 1992 NCAA Tournament, considered by many to be the greatest college basketball game ever played.

Christian Laettner was a player who symbolized what's right with college basketball.

4everzag, I'm going to copy and paste your list into my original post. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrylegend View Post
    Laettner is one of only four players to play in four consecutive Final Fours, and the only one to ever start in all four Final Fours. He owns the record for most tournament games played, which may never be beaten (to do so, someone would have to play in four straight Finals).

Laettner is perhaps best known for his game-winning last-second jump shot in Duke's dramatic 104-103 victory over Kentucky in the East regional final of the 1992 NCAA Tournament, considered by many to be the greatest college basketball game ever played.

Christian Laettner was a player who symbolized what's right with college basketball.

All that and a fairly pedestrian pro career. Agreed, Laettner belongs in the conversation of best college players of all time. As for his inclusion on the Dream Team of pro superstars, from a league full of superstars, well all I have to say is:

Where's Waldo?

I wonder how many of the opposing team members asked for Laettner's autograph. Sincerely.

Two things.

1. For some reason, Laettner symbolizes everything I loathe about Duke. Dunno why, but he does.

2. Who cares about John Stockton's birthday - today's ZigZagger's 41st birthday! While he never represented us at the Barcelona or Atlanta Olympics, I believe he's been to both cities, and if there was an Olympic event for boat racing (the beer drinking kind, not actual boat races. That would require effort) I have no doubt he'd have been on The Dream Team.

Unfortunately, not only does he not post much to begin with, but I think he's still in his media blackout period from our last game so he will probably never see this.

Stockton & ZigZagger: two great Zags that go great together.

Next year, being five years after John Stockton's retirement, he will be eligible to be considered for the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. I was curious about how many members of that '92 Dream Team were already in the HOF. The following chart shows, in the second column from the right, the year each member was inducted. The column to the right of that shows the HOF rating of the Hall of Fame Monitor site at databasketball.com. A rating above 135 means likely to be inducted. Asterisked ratings mean the player's already in the HOF:
    Code:
    Player		Last Season	Nom.	HOF	Rating
    Patrick Ewing	2001-2002	2008		156
    Magic Johnson	1994-1994		2002	549*
    David Robinson	2002-2003			289
    C. Laettner	2004-2005			85
    Karl Malone	2003-2004			501
    Michael Jordan	2002-2003			731
    Charles Barkley	1999-2000		2006	315*
    Larry Bird	1991-1992		1998	529*
    Chuck Daly				2004	
    Chris Mullin	2000-2001	2008		120
    Scottie Pippen	2003-2004			189
    John Stockton	2002-2003			194
    Clyde Drexler	1997-1998		2004	164*
    Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing are among 15 Finalists this year, per hoophall.com, with the 2008 class to be announced April 7 prior to the NCAA championship game.

Next year's class should be amazing, as 2003 saw some great names retire, including Stockton, Jordan, and Robinson. I wish Malone and Stockton were up for nomination the same year, but Malone didn't retire until 2004, so he has to wait until next year.