Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality Check: Zags are in trouble

Default Reality Check: Zags are in trouble

Even if Pargo plays he'll be hardly more than 50%. That thigh bruise can get all the rehabbing and therapy in the world today but it is what it is: painful and encumbering. Every step he takes, every time he runs, that thigh will shake. It will be impossible to ignore. The quad is a huge muscle, and his just took a knee.

This means all the more pressure will be heaped on the other guys. If they bring anything less than their A- Games, it'll be trouble. Bouldin, Raivio, Pendo, Micah, Pierre, Mallon, Kuso, they must all step up.

I do hate to always sound like a downer, but I've noticed waaayyyy too many posts that assume Pargo will be his old self out there. Hey, he might not even play! That means no driving to the hoop, no creating shots, his shots being thrown off-balance, including FTs, no more spin moves, his D being negated, etc.

The Zags are in some real serious straits tonight. Again, defense will win or lose this. Perimeter 3-point D, to be precise.

I just hope every Zag fan realizes that the odds of a win just became a little bigger.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

alaskazagnut Guest

Default Doom and Gloom

Nice one Bobzag! Pargo will probably still get 20 minutes and 10 points. I think we will win 72-65.
    Last edited by alaskazagnut; 03-05-2007 at 12:42 PM.

BZ- Here's the old you!

I gotta disagree 100% on this one. I really like how the zags have been playing as of late. We are getting better minutes out of a couple of the guys, especially Downs. The zags know whats at stake, and we're gonna take care of business. Mark my words.

Win by double digits. (Though the game will be fairly close most of the way)
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default Stuff a sock in it, BZ!!

I guarantee the Zags will win this game tonight. they did not come this far to let this Santa Clara team take this chance away from them. Whatever it takes, someone, it may come as a shock as to who, will step up and get the job done. For shame, BZ., Oh ye of little Faith!?
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

BZ, are you hanging out with Jazz?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurknomore View Post
    BZ, are you hanging out with Jazz?
    Can't be...that would be like me hanging out with Treehorn.

We're DOOMED. Life is over for the ZAGS. I think not. This is our house (Well sort of, at lease the fan support will be there) There is too much at stake and too much pride in this team to give up. This team has been asked over and over again this season to show its heart in the face of adversity. This may be yet another time it needs to dig deep and show what it is made of. Pargo will be a game time decision. If he can contribute, you can bet he will with everything he has. If not, someone else will. We have watched a group of guys turn into a good TEAM over the last 6 games. That is the key to winning this game. Play as a team, exploit the other guys weakness, and run run run until SC can't run no more.

Anybody, Any place, Any time! No fear. Bring it!

I agree with BZ. Obviously, while I hope the Zags win, losing Pargo would be huge. Pargo needs to play for this team to get past SCU, unless P-Mac can come out of nowhere and have a spectacular game.

The Zags are thin... but even with Pargo out GU has more talent on the floor than SCU. However, talent doesn't always translate into W's. The Zags need to play great team b-ball and show the all-out effort they have been known for...

GO ZAGS!!!

"Finest Hour"

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour." -- Speech delivered to the House of Commons on June 18, 1940 following the collapse of France. Many thought Britain would follow. But knowing that "Hitler will have to break us in this island or lose the war" Churchill challenged the British people to uncommon efforts to win the Battle of Britain.

I'm sorry BobZag, but you underestimate the heart of a champion. Pargo is just one of those warriors on the team. Win or lose tonight, Pargo is going to play all out.

No excuses, play like a Champion.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm pretty nervous. I agree with BZ. Does this team have it in them to step up to one more huge loss? If Pargo doesn't play... loosing him might be worse than loosing Josh. Yeah, it'd only be for one game, but he's the PG and a huge force on the floor. Especially for pushing tempo, which is a big key in this game. I really really hope Raivio, Bouldin, and PMAC can step it up, but... we're already asking this guys to give so much. Is there anything left in the tank? Enough to beat a solid team like SCU who you know will be playing their hearts out to send Davey to the Big Dance one more time? I don't know.

One thing I do know, however, is that the Zags will leave it all out there and make us proud tonight, one way or the other. If they go down, they'll go down swinging.

Default SCU nicked up a little too

Pariseau took a knee-to-knee shot on the baseline last night and turned the ankle on the same leg a little later. From that point on he was having trouble pushing off, and couldn't seem to make a cut to his right on either end of the floor.

That said, Pargo > Pariseau. We need Jeremy much more than they need Danny.

Default BZ and Net

are correct to be worried. SCU has the win one for the coach chip on their shoulder too. I am not sure who is going to win, but I will make this prediction. It will be a nail biter, and the Zags will scrap. Whoever shoots the best wins. If either team has an off night shooting, that is the likely looser. Hot shooting wins games this time of the year. If I were the Zags I would be trying to set up Pendo and Micah every time they double down on DR. And I would not give Sean Dennison a single open look. And then you gotta hope Father Spitzer has more influence on the almighty than Father Locatelli. I am not confident of that, incidentally.

Sili

after the "force out" of Davey, could it be argued that Fr. Locatelli is in the dog house with the Big Guy?

GU Class of '07

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    are correct to be worried. SCU has the win one for the coach chip on their shoulder too. I am not sure who is going to win, but I will make this prediction. It will be a nail biter, and the Zags will scrap. Whoever shoots the best wins. If either team has an off night shooting, that is the likely looser. Hot shooting wins games this time of the year. If I were the Zags I would be trying to set up Pendo and Micah every time they double down on DR. And I would not give Sean Dennison a single open look. And then you gotta hope Father Spitzer has more influence on the almighty than Father Locatelli. I am not confident of that, incidentally.

Sili
    I agree. If we score more points than SCU, we will definetly win.
    So little to say and so much time.
    FWIWLOLOMGLMAOIMHO
    Live the Foo

Quote Originally Posted by ZagPants View Post
    I agree. If we score more points than SCU, we will definetly win.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe BZ has been a little negative about previous big games we've had, and has been wrong. So, lets hope that string can continue. Negative reinforcement can work. Lets hope it does.

Zags pull out the win, by eight, 80-72.

SWZag

Default Pants--

is that a Majerus-ism???

GU Class of '07

More points > Less Points

I am my own idiot. I don't need to invoke Majerus.
    So little to say and so much time.
    FWIWLOLOMGLMAOIMHO
    Live the Foo

Quote Originally Posted by ZagPants View Post
    I am my own idiot. I don't need to invoke Majerus.
    LOL, nice.

Default Pants wins the thread

A lot of games have made me nervous this year, but my gut's feeling like it's tied up in knots. I'll probably calm down a little if Pargo is able to play his minutes.
    Last night I remarked that I was torn between being forced to watch Danny or Samhan play one more game tonight... But seriously the "win one for the coach chip on their shoulder" comment above makes me much more nervous to face SC as a team.
    Of course, no matter who we're missing, I have the utmost faith in the rest of the team to step up no matter what.
    I ramble. Sorry.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Default This will be a tough game.

We've been on a roll, winning by comfortable margins the past 4 games. Vegas says this one is close (4 pts.)

I predict Zags by 3 in a tough, physical game. 72-69.

That being said, this team is gelling at the right time, and kind of reminds me of the team that beat Florida but lost to UConn for the right to go to the Final Four.

LETS GET 1 MORE VICTORY, AND THEN REST UP ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
    A But seriously the "win one for the coach chip on their shoulder" comment above makes me much more nervous to face SC as a team.
    All due respect to Coach Davey, but that motivation should have been pungent a week ago. They still lost to the bottom team in the conference.

Sure, emotion will play a part, but SCU does not have a corner on that market.

Edited to add - I appreciate what Bob is trying to point out. That this could be a tough game, especially with a hobbled Pargo.

I for one am not feeling trepidation. This team has already shown its colors. We know what they are made of now. I think they deserve our confidence. So, lets give it to them.

Bulldogs by 10!

Default Pargo OUT?

True, no more dipsy doodle dunks, lookatme slams, and chainsaw-buckets from 20.....But, also no more egregious turnovers, scowling, slipping and sliding....and what if there's 10 to go in the game, tie score, what will we ever do? This could be Prince Matt's coronation.....Stay tuned.....