Thread: Few had a horrible second half.

Default Few had a horrible second half.

Curry is a heck of a player, and you have to give him tons of credit. But Few made some very curious decisions that really hurt.

1. Curry killed us the entire half with Gray face-guarding him, and we didn't change it up until it was too late. I'm not sure why we didn't go back to the zone earlier (at least to change the pace), and when we did, at least initially, we had a small lineup on the floor.

2. I have no idea why Downs didn't play in the second half. Perhaps he was sick. Maybe he was injured. Whatever the reason, his length would have made him a better candidate to guard Curry than Gray, in my opinion.

3. I could understand playing LG substantial minutes, but only to cover Curry. Instead, Few had LG on the point guard who, I'll admit, hurt us with penetration in the first half, but clearly wasn't as big of a threat as Curry.

Finally, I'm sad to see Pendo and Kuso go out like this, but particularly Pendo. As Few has said, Pendo is the ultimate Zag, and he deserved better. I hope that the rest of the team comes back hungry next year.

I agree!

With the exception of some really bad turnovers, the guys played hard. We couldn't stop 1 player that we had a week to game plan for. That falls on the coaching staff in my opinion. I'm not taking anything away from Curry, that kid's release is so quick, the only way to defend him is to prevent him from getting the ball in the first place.

I agree, few should have had that zone with downs at the top of the key in the second half. We took a ton of bad shots at the end of the game like when Daye took the three with Gray wide open next to him, and when Pargo took a three with two minutes left. Pargo should have been driving more aggressively. Gray was hot daye should have made one more pass. Daye had a tough shooting night and Bouldin played ok at the end but bad the rest of the game. The turnovers in the first half killed us. we should have had a bigger lead at halftime.
    We definitely should have denied the ball from Curry more
    GO ZAGS

I don't disagree with any of the comments so far but they aren't why this team lost. They lost because of their inability to execute at the offensive end down the stretch. WAAAAAY to much dribbling at the top of the key by Jeremy with no offensive flow.

I was really proud of the way Josh and Steven played as well as Micah on the defensive end. I don't have anything nice to say about anyone else.

Few mismanaged this team all year. He is NOT a bad coach, but he did not have an answer for the depth this year. No way this team, with the amount of talent, should lose to a team with one player. NO WAY AROUND IT! I still maintain that GU lost a lot when Grier decided to go south. Few and staff have their work cut out for them b/c next year they will have everyone returning (b4 this game i was worried Pargo may go).
    TM

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    I don't disagree with any of the comments so far but they aren't why this team lost. They lost because of their inability to execute at the offensive end down the stretch. WAAAAAY to much dribbling at the top of the key by Jeremy with no offensive flow.

I was really proud of the way Josh and Steven played as well as Micah on the defensive end. I don't have anything nice to say about anyone else.
    Micah could have been the X-factor. No reason to not keep Downs in when was SO DAMN effective on the d-side of the ball playing the top of the zone.
    TM

How can you execute in the stretch when your only game plan is a motion offense? Never having any set plays will kill any team (especially against tough competion!!) It's pretty clear this comes down to coaching... or should I say LACK OF !

Out coached again????
    "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by TM27 View Post
    Few mismanaged this team all year. He is NOT a bad coach, but he did not have an answer for the depth this year. No way this team, with the amount of talent, should lose to a team with one player. NO WAY AROUND IT! I still maintain that GU lost a lot when Grier decided to go south. Few and staff have their work cut out for them b/c next year they will have everyone returning (b4 this game i was worried Pargo may go).
    You've all heard and seen of a "coaching victory." Well, you've just seen a "coaching loss." Another one this season. Few is a good coach, but not an excellent one, and that's what it takes to get further than the first round of the NCAA--again. He had almost two weeks to get the team ready offensively, and nearly a week to get the team ready for Curry. So, a poor defensive plan that got worse as the game went on. A poor offensive plan--Grey's 21 made the score respectable, but did not hide the inadequacies of the offense.
    The Zag fans are going to have to get used to scaled down expectations. Not because the talent isn't there, but because system & the game plan are inadequate. And that is a coaching responsibility. They may or not win the WCC and/or the WCC Tournament. They may get into the NCAA, but the odds are just as good they won't. And if they do, it will be one and done again. The responsibility is on the lap of the coaching staff to retool their approach to something more successful. If they don't, then I'm afraid the "glory days" are over. Too bad. It didn't/doesn't have to happen.

Brilliant strategy keeping Micah Downs on the bench in the second half! I'm sure he'll be well rested next year. Does Matt Bouldin have a clause in his scholarship that prohibits removing him from the game for even a moment? What a total collapse! We couldn't even inbound the ball under our own basket. We should have pulled away to win by twenty. From what was avery solid game plan we make no adjustments and once again Mark Few is completely out-coached during the game and one player beats us. That was pathetic.

Default Few is becoming a problem..

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    82-76. They DID lose because of the previous comments made on this thread. 76 points should win a game, so offense was not the key problem. Having Downs in would have slowed down Curry and would have provided us with even more offense. Everything that killed us all year, killed us this game. Unless Few decides to change some of his coaching philosophies, we will not advance past round 1 or 2. Why do we continue to get outplayed in the second half, because other coaches make adjustments and we do not.

whats the difference between tony bennett's cougars and mark few's zags?

gonzaga has 4 projected players getting drafted next year, unbelievable athleticism and talent. WSU has talent but its not pure talent... its coached talent. Few is a great recruiting coach dont get me wrong but a terrible in game coach. the only reason he manages to get by is because of the athleticism of the individuals on the team. He's is incapable of making any in game adjustments (except for maybe putting foster in every once in a while to take care of business on D).

WSU winthrop, tied at 29 at the half
    second half, wsu dominates. coaching...

gonzaga davidson,
    GU blows a 10 point lead in the second half and lets the ONE player to watch out for score 40 points 30 of which came in the second half. coaching...

The worst part about few, imo, is that he will probably continue to recruit awesome talent and he will probably continue to dominate the wcc. But with his coaching ability it doesnt really matter how much talent is on the team because you cant make a solid run in the tournament unless you have both the coaching and the talent.

I know coaches like tony bennett and such arent a dime a dozen and that mark few is probably a pretty good coach if you compare him to all college hoops coaches top to bottom, but its still sucks to lose in the first round. weak. But i guess at least i can take comfort in the fact that while few is not exceptional, at least he's not lorenzo romar.

Default From the Davidson board

"What was Few's defensive plan? The 1-2-2 was working great, then he goes back to man-to-man. I really think Few is to blame for this loss. Curry was unconscious, but Gonzaga's gameplan was plain awful. Wow, I am sooo happy for the 'Cardiac Cats'. Huge game for Max and Andrew!"

It was a hard played game by two pretty evenly matched teams. I agree with many of the general comments. I love Bouldin, but I am unsure why he got so many minutes and Downs so few in the second half. I am unsure why we continually chased behind Curry on every screen. I wish we hadn't turned the ball over so much. I wish we'd hit at least 3-4 more free throws.

On the other hand, let's all remember the intensity of the blame is almost always more intense right after a game than it deserves to be. Anytime you lose there is always a reason why. No team plays perfect in any game. I'm not dismissing the reasons we lost, but we shoudl also recognzie we didn't just roll over and die.

Default Frustrating

What a frustrating game, summed up the year actually. No excuse to lose this game. Few had his worst game coaching of the year....Why Micha didn't play, and guard Curry, is beyond me....

We couldn't even in bound the ball today.

Why didn't Josh play more in the 2nd half?

Hope next year is better, won't have the expectations i had this year.

Default Horrible 2nd half

COACHING SCHEME. I agree with most eveything that has been said on this thread, with the following additions:

1. We are going nowhere with the 3 guard offense, period. Throughout the first half the announcers kept saying "This big, long lineup is being very effective for the ZAGS, Davidson has no answer for this lineup". The lineup they were discussing - Heytvelt, Daye, Downs, Pargo, and Bouldin/Gray. Strangely enough, we didn't use that lineup one time in the 2nd half, not for one minute. Additionally, we didn't use that combination very much all year.

2. Heytvelt dominated when he was in there, too bad he didn't play very much, again............

3. We had 10 days to prepare for a one-dimensional, guard led offense, and the best we can do is hold Curry to 40????????? He is a special player, but how many players have gone off for 40 in a D1 game this year, and for 30 in the 2nd half. How about doing what held him to 10 in the first half??? How about a box and 1 or a triangle and 2 when he starts to go off??? How about doing something other than continuing to beat your f%##@* head against the wall when beating your head against the wall isn't working????

4. How many times is Few going to pull a player when they are on fire??? Gray makes 3 straight bombs, only to be benched. I was surprised Josh didn't get pulled after he made a 3, it wouldn't have been the first time.

5. Few is a good coach, just not an imaginative one. He has yet to display an ability to adapt at game speed, to respond to the changes that every game, especially when we don't have a huge talent advantage, like in the tourney. Until he develops that ability we will not make another deep run in the tourney. The tourney is a chess game, where every move requires a counter-move, not the SAT's, where you prepare exactly the same way every time.

6. Next year will be the best "talent" GU has ever had, bar none. It will come down to how the strings are pulled against the good teams, not how many games we win or how badly we beat up on Portland, LMU, USF, and the other weak teams in the WCC. How did we do this year against top-flite competition (teams that made the tourney)??? Maybe 50/50. That's not good enough with the talent we had this year, and certainly not good enough next year.

7. This was an inexcusable loss.................

Go ZAGS

This year they are the most talented, just dry under the ears.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    COACHING SCHEME. I agree with most eveything that has been said on this thread, with the following additions:

1. We are going nowhere with the 3 guard offense, period. Throughout the first half the announcers kept saying "This big, long lineup is being very effective for the ZAGS, Davidson has no answer for this lineup". The lineup they were discussing - Heytvelt, Daye, Downs, Pargo, and Bouldin/Gray. Strangely enough, we didn't use that lineup one time in the 2nd half, not for one minute. Additionally, we didn't use that combination very much all year.

2. Heytvelt dominated when he was in there, too bad he didn't play very much, again............

3. We had 10 days to prepare for a one-dimensional, guard led offense, and the best we can do is hold Curry to 40????????? He is a special player, but how many players have gone off for 40 in a D1 game this year, and for 30 in the 2nd half. How about doing what held him to 10 in the first half??? How about a box and 1 or a triangle and 2 when he starts to go off??? How about doing something other than continuing to beat your f%##@* head against the wall when beating your head against the wall isn't working????

4. How many times is Few going to pull a player when they are on fire??? Gray makes 3 straight bombs, only to be benched. I was surprised Josh didn't get pulled after he made a 3, it wouldn't have been the first time.

5. Few is a good coach, just not an imaginative one. He has yet to display an ability to adapt at game speed, to respond to the changes that every game, especially when we don't have a huge talent advantage, like in the tourney. Until he develops that ability we will not make another deep run in the tourney. The tourney is a chess game, where every move requires a counter-move, not the SAT's, where you prepare exactly the same way every time.

6. Next year will be the best "talent" GU has ever had, bar none. It will come down to how the strings are pulled against the good teams, not how many games we win or how badly we beat up on Portland, LMU, USF, and the other weak teams in the WCC. How did we do this year against top-flite competition (teams that made the tourney)??? Maybe 50/50. That's not good enough with the talent we had this year, and certainly not good enough next year.

7. This was an inexcusable loss.................

Go ZAGS
    I am at work so cant write much, but this post by TacomaZag is right on the money. What a frustrating year!!!

Gonzaga "always waiting till next-year" Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by omahazag View Post
    What a frustrating game, summed up the year actually. No excuse to lose this game. Few had his worst game coaching of the year.
    You clearly missed the loss to Texas Tech earlier this year.

That was an incredible case of one coach getting completely dominated by the other. Texas Tech didn't have anything approaching the talent to even be on the same court, but Red Sweater had is way with those X's and O's, and the GU staff had nothing to answer.

This is something of a trend though; I think we can all agree. Few, in all 9 tournaments he's been to as the headcoach, and in every big time game during the season, does an empirically poor job of making in-game adjustments. He has a plan when the game starts, and that plan had better work, or it's going to be trouble for the Zags. I never expect anything else. Most of the time the plan works, so it's not a big deal, but it certainly leaves a lot to chance when the going gets rough.

"Guys, guys, lets not forget we won the regular season conference and what an accomplishment that was . . ." just had to get that out of the way before someone else posted it.

Everyone really knows no one really respects a WCC regular season conference title. Big whoop, GU has dominated the conference for years. No one will remember in two months who won the WCC. They will remember that GU blew a first round game AGAIN in the NCAA's and that San Diego from the WCC beat Uconn. We could pull this thread up last year and it would have almost been spot on - that is the worst part. Hey, lets pin it to the top so next year we don't have to go over this again.