Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Majerus

Default Rick Majerus

Horrible horrible announcer at times...however "Bouldin and Pargo, there are no two better guards..." I like him a little bit better now.
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

I have to admit that comment softened my view of him a little. He's been a bit of a Zag hater over the years but has been pretty respectful tonight.

... two stronger guards... it was

:-)

That's not a bad thing either.

Majerus is crap and half the time does not know what he is talking about.

he usually does know what he's talking about, he's just a terrible announcer. the stopping to catch his breath in the middle of a comment and the mispronunciation are really bad.

the mispronunciation are really bad
    He called them "Toreos". I like him though despite the name butchering. He knows hoops. What's worse, him butchering names or fans not hearing clearly what he says ala "strongest guards" in the country?

Birddog

Met him at the PNIT, pretty nice guy. He thought they'd be a quality team (better than what they've been). He basically earned alot of hate for the Morisson comment. That is what I've heard. "What does he know."

He only refered to Pargo as Prego once, not bad.

Of course the ESPN graphic keeps referring to "Jermey Pargo", which doesn't help Majerus get it right.

I loved Tory-rows

I think the T-oreos was a freudian slip

Gyno Paw-mare?

Dude - elocution lessons.
    Last edited by brasszag; 03-04-2007 at 08:13 PM.

i heard gyno parmar

Default Birddog said

He called them "Toreos". I like him though despite the name butchering. He knows hoops. What's worse, him butchering names or fans not hearing clearly what he says ala "strongest guards" in the country?
    --

anyone hear MICK-UH for Micah ?

otherwise, i agree w/you birddog. he's excellent with x's and o's, but, imo, doesn't do enuf prep to pronounciate or enuf homework on the teams he's covering, thus only skims the surface w/standard or outdated info about a team like GU. If we're good enough to make the dance all those years, he needs to get the story and the names right. Sorta like the gon AAW GUH thing. right bridgod ?
    Last edited by gamagin; 03-05-2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: clarifying

A little bit of the hate is creeping back, I think he's overdoing the "resume without Heytvelt" point. Not an incorrect point, but he's made it at last three times.

"otherwise, i agree w/you birddog. he's excellent with x's and o's, but, imo, doesn't do enuf prep to pronounciate or skim the surface w/info about a team like GU. If we're good enough to make the dance all those years, he needs to get the story and the names right. Sorta like the gon AAW GUH thing. right bridgod ?"

Yeah Gamigan, I agree, however, I'm starting to think that Majerus is one of those people that just can't get names right, sort of a real life Norm Crosby, just not as funny. What kind of Scotch were you drinking? Single malt?

Birddog

Majerus + Bouldin = Man Crush

Part of his "charm" is his mispronunciation. Either you love him or you hate him.

I like the fact that he has a term for every move a player takes.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Default I like him

He mistakely refers to Gonzaga as "we" from time to time....I love that.

i like him for the simple fact that he really knows the game... unlike FSN announcers who are, well, just announcers.

He insisted that Kuso got his 5th foul because he followed through on the block and he should have stayed vertical. While he's saying this, the replay shows Kuso with his hands straight up in the air, not coming down with his arm, not at all trying to "swat the ball into the 3rd row" as Majerus was saying he did.

I also though it strange that they kept talking about what a great game Downs was having, offensively, when his shooting % was pretty sub-par and his free throw % wasn't all that great either. Maybe I'm just already getting used to seeing better shooting than that from Micah...

I always feel like I learn something new when he's announcing. If ya call it D-fence, you might as well call it O-fence.

In announcing the scu vs smc game they were talking about Pariseau and he just said, "he's from Spokane, i wonder how he got away from the Zags."

He definitely does no homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    He only refered to Pargo as Prego once, not bad.
    He dropped a Ravio in there too (as opposed to the proper RYE-v-oh)

Let's see, Prego is a brand of pasta sauce, and Ravioli is a pasta. Maybe he had dinner on his mind.

Default O Fat Man

Will Rick, dinner is always on his mind.

T-oreos, LOL!!!

But really, if he would just do a little more homework, I think he would be excellent, mispronunciations and all... because he knows the game and I learn from him when I listen. Much better than others.

Great Game Zags, polish up on the gimmes from the stripe and let's win tomorrow.