Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Larry G!!!

Default Start Larry G!!!

I would love it if LG started and guarded curry. Few would tell him "listen dont help, dont switch, dont leave, get so close that when you breath it fogs up his eyes. You get to play and keep playing until he scores 10 points or hits a three"

Anyone second the motion?

bartruff1 Guest

Default Fiba

Matt played with and practiced against him in the Under 19 team....what a great team that was...

No, stop it right now. Let Curry get his 22 plus and play lock down "D" on everyone else. If LG did start it would be 4 on 5 because Davidson would ignore him when we have the ball.

Default I Second Your Motion

I was just sitting here thinking the same thing.

Few could always throw in the old Hoosiers line "Stick with him! Think of it as chewing gum...by the end of the game I wanna know what flavor he is!"

I don't agree. Put Gray and Downs on him.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I don't agree. Put Gray and Downs on him.
    Would you want to wear down one of your best 3pt shooters in Gray by chasing a guy all over the floor? I think we need Steven's offense more then his defense.

Also Micah might be a better help side defender, but LG is a better lockdown defender in my opinion.

I'm with CG. I think Larry's a great defender, but the offensive weaknesses are troubling.

LG is a good rebounder and a very good offensive rebounder which I don't think he gets enought credit for...Maybe not start but I feel he should get plenty of pt
    “I enjoy coming in and being hated."
    -Matt Bouldin

Heytvelt on how badly GU needed a win: “Like a kid needs his two front teeth for Christmas.”

Default LG not well?

LG was not at the basketball banquet Friday night because he apparently wasn't feeling well. Get well soon, LG!! We need everyone at 100% for the Dance.

So why not try the old "box and one"? With a twist...rotate Pargo, Bouldin, Larry G, Steven, even Micah. Really mix it up on them...we've got a lot of talent, time to put it to use.

Why do you think that Few is going to play LG all of the sudden? He may play him a little especially if Curry goes off but that lineup is set (whether or not we agree with it) and you can't go changing things this late in the season. I personally like LG and think he should've been playing a few minutes a game all season but it didn't happen.

The only real chance any team has of "shutting down" Stephen Curry is to get him in foul trouble, make him sit for a good part of the first half, and never let him get in a rhythm. And the only team all year to have done that is Winthrop.

Default Perfect

with the way WCC games have been officiated all year, we have a few guys that have really learned to flop!! Curry is in trouble!

Dance with the team that brought you. If you get too cute with matchups we'll not only lose, but we'll never establish a rhythm that makes our team so unstoppable when playing well.

GU will likely rotate several guys on Curry. He's going to get his points, they just don't want him to completely go off. And yes, if they can get him in foul trouble, all the better.

It will sure be interesting to see what Few chooses to do with Curry. Guys like LG and Ira! could be a great asset on making Curry work hard for his points, but Few also likes to keep his rotation tight in the tourney. If they're going to see minutes our offense is going to have to be clicking so Few can afford to take one of our scorers off the floor.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

I fully expect to see grey starting on curry with pargo on Richards, with Austin taking a turn on Curry due to arm length and height when he rotates in

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Dance with the team that brought you. If you get too cute with matchups we'll not only lose, but we'll never establish a rhythm that makes our team so unstoppable when playing well.
    What "rhythm" are you speaking of? I don't think I've seen it since UConn.

We did look pretty good in those last two home games, though.

I'm with CG. I think Larry's a great defender, but the offensive weaknesses are troubling.
    i hope your joking considering LG scores as many pts per minute played as anyone else on the team. he plays a third of the time as bouldin and scores a third much. so really taking PT into consideration its a wash. MY point though: if lg can shut down a player much better than matt, and rebound way better than matt (almost the same rebounds per game but again, in a 1/3rd of the time), and score almost the same but in a different manner who is more helpful that game? we are going to need rebounding and d in the tourney and those are two things matt and gray dont bring nearly as well as LG. ill take a tad less scoring for way better d and rebounding.

Curry is a huge part of their offense and deserves very careful attention. I would not hesitate to put LG on Curry.....but, we'll probably see Gray cover him. I don't think Pargo or Bouldin would be all that effective against Curry. Downs might do ok but, LG has the superior lateral quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag79 View Post
    i hope your joking considering LG scores as many pts per minute played as anyone else on the team. he plays a third of the time as bouldin and scores a third much. so really taking PT into consideration its a wash. MY point though: if lg can shut down a player much better than matt, and rebound way better than matt (almost the same rebounds per game but again, in a 1/3rd of the time), and score almost the same but in a different manner who is more helpful that game? we are going to need rebounding and d in the tourney and those are two things matt and gray dont bring nearly as well as LG. ill take a tad less scoring for way better d and rebounding.

I was going to post the same thing but just got too tired of fighting the mainstream opinions on this board. LG showed some great (and entertaining) offense potential his freshman year. His so called 'lack' of offense on this board is in my opinion undeserving. You can't judge a players ability based on 2 minutes of play every third game.

I only want Gray or LG/Ira on Curry, Boulin can't guard him at all and I want Pargo to focus on Running the offense.
    Pitt 6-0 in MSG
    New York Knicks 12 - 22 in MSG

Curry is Dell Curry's boy and he shoots like his pops. Nearly perfect jumper. Matt can't guard him by himself. About the only one who could is LG. It's a very good thought. He'll get his 10 pts......might be best to think about limiting him.
    Here's the deal: We figure out how to close down their guards, we';l win this one. 22 straight vics don't scare me too much. It's the 18 pt lead over UCLA that evaporated! Sound familiar? Davidson is favored. This teamhas botherd me from the beginning of the season. Even though we're a better seed, most experts think Davidson wins by 5. I listened to Frank Burlinson today. He says GU-Davidson is easily the best game in round 1. He also thinks they can win because out bigs don't play like bigs should (slackers). About the only Zag he trusts is Pargo. Jeremy won't be enough to win this. TEAM will win if they play like they should. Who shows up to play Davidson? Dunno yet.

I love watching LG, but I merely want to respond.

i hope your joking considering LG scores as many pts per minute played as anyone else on the team.
    That's not even close to true. Here are a few (I'm not going to tediously crunch them all):

Bouldin: 1 pt for every 2.53 minutes
    Heytvelt: 1 pt for every 2.00 minutes
    Daye: 1 pt for every 1.73 minutes
    Downs: 1 pt for every 2.96 minutes
    Pendo: 1 pt for every 2.80 minutes
    Pargo: 1 pt for every 2.84 minutes

LG: 1 pt for every 3.35 minutes

Moreover, I've never seen those "since he plays x minutes and gets x points, if he played y minutes, he would score y points" theories pan out. I think the pts per min. would go down if he had more minutes. That's just me though, and potentially, Mark Few.

As much as it may make sense, LG is not going to start. He did not start against Derrick Rose, Patty Mills or Brandon Johnson, he's not going to start now. I do think he will get some extra minutes though.