Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gael's by 15 with 15 to play

Quote Originally Posted by SDUQ View Post
    So do you think people are yelling at ESPN because they are missing the 2007 world series of poker?

too bad it wasnt tape delayed...they couldve not shown the first overtime

Why, is that as big as arena football?
    We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

wow, SM started so well
    though we beat SD twice,
    I hate to face them on a roll like they have been on this season, getting better and better,
    and in a do or die for the Big Dance tomorrow if they win

still

go SD !!!

Default amazing clock

management. btw, is anyone counting fouls ? Seems like someone outta foul out.

Amazing!
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Man the USD students sure look cute in all their gucci and prada and sean john as they storm the court!
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Default If voting were tomorrow

Bill(y) Grier would be coach of the year.

Default wow

wow.

this will be a good test of wills, coaching and matchups tomorrow night.

Go Zags !

That should just about do it. Proof of the power of home court advantage
    (women's game too!).
    "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

I guess it makes sense to storm the court in a semifinal game against a team you have already beaten before...at home. Huh..

That court storm was somewhat comical.

SD has played 90 minutes of basketball in the last 27 hours. Brandon Johnson better go sleep until about 1pm tomorrow.

Great game

Hopefully SD will not have much left in the tank after tonight. Huge minutes played by their starting 5....41, 43, 46, 48 and 50 (B. Johnson). Good news for the Zags.

Will all this emotion and excitement wear them out for tomorrow nights game?....

Hope so!

Default Careful what you wish for!

In an earlier thread, I said I would be rooting for USD because of Coach Grier. Uh-oh, now we have to face them on their homecourt. Hope they're a little tired and a little emotionally spent after perhaps themost amazing comeback I've ever seen. Good for Billy and the team.

I'm calling it right now.

Brandon Johnson > Nate Robinson

If Nate can make it in the league, then Johnson surely can.
    I miss Mike Hart

I'd love to see the second half of that game
    it must be one of the greatest games in the WCC this year

St Mary's scored 16 points in the first 4 minutes.

Over the next 44 minutes, they scored 36 points.

Jekyll...meet Hyde.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

USD did nothing particularly different defensively in the second half. Their half court pressure defense was token at best. But for some unknown reason, Mills, Simpson and "Sambo" took a lunch break at half time, and then stayed for some beers. If the Zags were to quit tomorrow's game like St Marys did tonite, they wouldn't deserve a bid to the dance (either).

Oh, and it wasn't a full-house, hometown SD crowd raucously backing their homeboys that intimidated the Gaels. A third of that group, evidently taking their cue from Dodger Stadium "faithful", left a few minutes into the second half.

The quality of play tonight, in both games, was pitiful and embarrassing to the WCC. Unfortunately, the selection commitee was required to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    USD did nothing particularly different defensively in the second half. Their half court pressure defense was token at best. But for some unknown reason, Mills, Simpson and "Sambo" took a lunch break at half time, and then stayed for some beers. If the Zags were to quit tomorrow's game like St Marys did tonite, they wouldn't deserve a bid to the dance (either).

Oh, and it wasn't a full-house, hometown SD crowd raucously backing their homeboys that intimidated the Gaels. A third of that group, evidently taking their cue from Dodger Stadium "faithful", left a few minutes into the second half.

The quality of play tonight, in both games, was pitiful and embarrassing to the WCC. Unfortunately, the selection commitee was required to watch.

I guess teams that haven't played a game in nearly a week, Gonzaga and Saint Mary's, can't have nerves when playing their first game in the WCC tournament.

I disagree with you. It wasn't low quality basketball. It was nervous, oh ++++, i'm playing for my life basketball. Some games aren't pretty. That's just the way it is. As for the selection commitee having to watch and the WCC being embarrased, I really disagree. I had numerous friends and relatives text me about how entertaining the game was. One team fell and the other team rose up beyond expectations behind two Juniors who don't want to be done with this season quite yet. It may have not been fundamental, but it sure as hell wasn't embarrasing or boring. I had a ton of fun watching tonight and so did many friends and relatives who know a hell of a lot about basketball, and they absolutely loved it. I don't know what more you want.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post

It was a full house for part of the end of the Zags game and the beginning of the San Diego game, but it's not the fault of the San Diego fans that most of the Santa Clara & Gonzaga folks didn't want to stay and watch a game that appeared to be a blowout. I was tempted to leave and I had watched every minute of LMU-USF, so it doesn't take much to keep me in the seats. It was still at least half full for the end of the game, and I'd say 40% (or more) of the tickets to start the night were Gonzaga fans, so most of the Torero fans who attended, stayed.

There was a healthy crowd out in the "fresh air" outdoor area at halftime, but they came milling back in with plenty of time to spare before the comeback started. They were pretty darn loud, and not just the student section packed like sardines and not allowed to move into any of the couple thousand empty seats, lest anyone be offended by having students from another school within 4 rows of them (all student sections from each WCC team were forced to stay in their areas, with security continually finding them elsewhere and moving them back, which seemed really absurd in earlier games when 3500 open seats were scattered around the building).

Cool

Bad basketball:

Zags vs Broncos totals: 31 turnovers! 35 for 84 shooting; 18 for 25 ft shooting; 100 total points.

Gaels vs Toreros: 28 turnovers; 42 fouls; 32 for 56 ft shooting. 52 for 129 fg shooting!

SD's comeback, or the Gael's gag, whichever you want to call it, provided the only reason to watch the second game. Guessing most of the country yawned through the first twenty minutes, turned it off at halftime, went to bed, and missed that part.