Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few addresses Heytvelt situation (Good news)

Default Few addresses Heytvelt situation (Good news)

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I was listening to Saturday Morning Gameday on ESPN radio, and heard Andy Katz interview Mark Few. In addition to other questions, he asked Few about Heytvelt. Few basically said that Josh made a mistake, but that he wants to be back, is working hard to be back, and will be back. Good for him.

I really really hope that end up being the case (that he's back, I mean). I have no doubt the rest is true - that Josh wants to be back and is working hard.

Good for both of them (Few, Josh).

Gonzaga "always waiting till next-year" Bulldogs

Well I certainly hope that by "back" he means next year.

Because, since his departure, the team has been playing significantly more like a... well... team.

It'll be good to take the off-season for Heytfelt and Few to figure out a way to integrate him back into the program without it causing a relapse of GU basketball into being a one-and-a-half-dimensional laze-fest.

Default Jumping the gun?

As wonderful as it would be if Heytvelt could clean up his act 100% and be a solid contributor on next year's team, is it really appropriate for Few to comment on that possibility now? As Josh has been charged with a felony, it would seem that the question of his return will be answered more by lawyers than by any of his or Coach Few's efforts. By making such comments now, Few is indicating that he wants Josh back whether convicted or not. That could have a very negative impact on our program's image if Josh turns out to be convicted, and especially so if the trial reveals further unpleasant details of the incident that Few and the public are currently unaware of (I'm not implying that there are any such details).

If Josh Heytvelt ever returns to Gonzaga basketball, I sincerely hope three things: (1) he quits doing drugs; and (2) he puts 100% effort into games 100% of the time; and (3) he learns to get along with his teammates.

I, for one, have been hearing rumors for awhile about Josh. I'm tired of hearing about this crap. If those three things above aren't achievable for him, then I hope he leaves.

Well, I'm almost certain #2 will never happen. I'll maintain hope for #1 and #3.

Quote Originally Posted by zagco View Post
    If Josh Heytvelt ever returns to Gonzaga basketball, I sincerely hope three things: (1) he quits doing drugs; and (2) he puts 100% effort into games 100% of the time; and (3) he learns to get along with his teammates.

I, for one, have been hearing rumors for awhile about Josh. I'm tired of hearing about this crap. If those three things above aren't achievable for him, then I hope he leaves.
    Care to run those rumors by me in private, zagco, or do rumors pass as facts in Boise?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

There is a very real chance Heytvelt will be given the opportunity to enroll in a nearly brand new program for drug offenders. Basically it is the keep out of trouble, agree to random drug tests etc. kind of program. This is a program geared to those who are mostly first time offenders as I understand. If they successfully complete the program their record is purged. If Josh goes into this he will be one of the first in Spokane County as this program is nearly brand new. How the school will deal with the players (I've not forgotten about Davis and his misdemeanor charge) and foremost how Coach Few will remains to be seen. If what DawgZag posted is true it sounds as if Heytvelt will be give the opportunity to rejoin the team, although most likely not until next season. Regarding the upcoming March 12th Heytvelt arraingment this most likely will be a short court appearance where the accused will plead not guilty. This is almost a given as the court system is not set up to have a defendant appear at an arraignment and plead guilty.

Default "and will be back"

I don't know that Few can guarantee this or that he should want to.
    "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

The first 2 things are legit gripes. The 3rd... I doubt that more than a handfull of people on this board have any way of knowing that.

As for playing as a team - I think the Zags were doing quite a good job of that with Josh right before everything happened. I don't think Josh _necessarily_ takes any of the blame for the teams sometimes lackluster games this year (over and above whether or not his own personal performace was up to par). I haven't seen any other signs that he hurt the team in any way except not giving full effort out there occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    I don't know that Few can guarantee this or that he should want to.
    He "basically" said that. It doesn't sound verbatim to me.

Default Re:

The only thing that I will contribute to this thread is that if Josh is welcomed back, trust me, he will be on a very, very short leash. It will be highly conditional. For one thing, if he gets involved with some sort of diversion program, law enforcement will make sure that he is not misbehaving. The only way to get thru one of those programs is to be clean as a whistle, and to be highly responsible. That'll help out, but the issues with how he let his team down and such are another thing. That is, the residual effect of the arrest and its impact on the program and returning players. That's the largest concern. This is just my opinion, but I don't see the university doing much to further punish the players beyond a reprimand or something. The program imposed suspension (which I take to mean the rest of this season), combined with the possible diversion programs, will be it....provided that Josh and Theo behave like model citizens from here on out....

They won't be back this season. Forget that.

PETA would protest the short leash Few will put on both of them.

So he's put on this "diversion program."

He comes back to play next year.

He fails to maintain status as "clean as a whistle," and he's yanked from the team by the county... again.

If the restrictions and requirements of such a program are to be so strict and prudent as have been put forward, then wouldn't that make adding him back to the roster just too much of a liability? He wouldn't have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing in order to get hauled in. He'd just have to miss a drug test, or a meeting, or a probation hearing, etc.

What's supposed to happen if any of those requirements conflict with travel and times for road games?

I'm genuinely curious as I don't know.

towards the end of this year b4 the bust. Josh was working just as hard if not harder than anyone effort wise, in my opinion. I don't think he is a lazy player at all. And I think that he plays really really good help D.

RebornZag Guest

Default Few addresses Heytvelt situation

Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake. I have always thought that regarding Josh, that the best, really is yet to come. I think that when all is said and done that what happened in Cheney will help make Josh a better person, and to me that's what its all about. Life is about becoming all we can be (whatever that may be). Josh made a huge misake, and hopfully one that will give him a chance to straighten his life out. I really Josh, and have suffered through this with him in many ways. I'm really proud of the way that Gonzaga, and that includes the athletic program, has handled this situation. I think we can all be proud of the school we love!! I know I am. And I really appreciate what Few said. Few is a very, very classy guy, you don't become a great coach by accident. I've learned a lot about Mark this year and he's showed his emotions a lot. He showed how much this hurt him...and I could feel his pain. I could see it. He seemed to mirrror what the whole of ZagNation felt. And to me he seems to have conquered the demons that always seem to accompany this kind of a tragic event in our lives. I also believe that he mirrors ZagNation in this too. I feel a real sense of the beginning of the kind of healing that will be necessary for us all to move on together in this. Again, by this kind of a statement, Mark Few seems to lead the way. Reconciliation is certainly a process, and there is still a long way to go. I am glad to hear that Mark Few feels good about the way Josh is responding.

He's not a lazy player.

However the entire offensive scheme when he was playing was...

1) Get the ball to Raivio.
    2) Get the ball to Heytfelt.
    3) There is no step 3.

Spending the season watching the guys on the team standing around doing basically nothing while the above prescription was being filled, and only marginally successfully at that, was infuriating.

Heytfelt could certainly play, but for whatever reason it often looked like nobody else would.

It'd be a pretty hard sell to convince anyone who could see the first half of WCC conference play, to compare with the latter half, that the team was more cohesive and effective as a whole earlier on.

The difference, to me at least, was just night and day.

Default I forgive him, but............

I think any godfearing person would find it in his hear to forgive the accused, but I don't think being paid to go to school and play basketball and if convicted for a felony crime would not be appropriate. Walkon with no scholarship, don't know. Need more information.
    "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

RebornZag Guest

BeatProgram: The diversion program (is it Drug Court?) will work only if Josh wants it to. It's a great program and has worked for many people. Worked means that the offender has made a committment to change and give up drugs and or alcohol. The program is designed to help people succeed in their attempt to change. It's tough in the sense that people must be very accountable. It is not tough in the sense of being on a "short leash." The short leash is quite simply that Josh can not use drugs or alcohol. If he does he will go to prison. It's really that simple. He's expected to change, and that includes hanging out with people who "use." He would be best to find a new lifestyle other then going to parties where there's drugs and alcohol...and especially drugs.

In the end the question will be, "Does Josh want to change, and is he willing to do whatever is needed to change?" I am anxious to find out what the "whatever is necessary to change" part is. I am sure he will be put on some kind of a contract and if he breaks it he's done. I don't like the negative remarks about Few or Josh but know they will always be around. That negativity will accompany Josh (like the one about Few will bring Josh back because Few wants to win a national title...how shallow) and the Zags for a long long time. It's just the way "some" people are. Any time they can kick a person when he's down they'll just jump at the opporunity.

Quote Originally Posted by wazZag View Post
    Good for both of them (Few, Josh).
    Ditto. The less said about this sub-plot, the better.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by beatProgram View Post
    He's not a lazy player.

However the entire offensive scheme when he was playing was...

1) Get the ball to Raivio.
    2) Get the ball to Heytfelt.
    3) There is no step 3.

Spending the season watching the guys on the team standing around doing basically nothing while the above prescription was being filled, and only marginally successfully at that, was infuriating.

Heytfelt could certainly play, but for whatever reason it often looked like nobody else would.

It'd be a pretty hard sell to convince anyone who could see the first half of WCC conference play, to compare with the latter half, that the team was more cohesive and effective as a whole earlier on.

The difference, to me at least, was just night and day.
    Gotta disagree. In our bad losses, the case was mostly 1) get the ball to Raivio or 2) have Pargo try and make some insane spin move. 3 and 4 were get the ball to Josh and stand around, respectively. In a couple of losses, Few was saying that the guards didn't get it to Josh _enough_. The team might be playing better now than it had been earlier in the season, but that's because they're playing for their NCAA lives and they know it. They'd be playing like this Josh or no, IMO. The difference is, if we had Josh, we'd have a better chance.

Default The team concept is crucial in basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Nevtelen View Post
    The team might be playing better now than it had been earlier in the season, but that's because they're playing for their NCAA lives and they know it. They'd be playing like this Josh or no, IMO. The difference is, if we had Josh, we'd have a better chance.
    I'd rather have a team playing for their NCAA lives, than a team thinking they have someone to bail them out. Basketball is a team sport. Parachuting is usuallly an on your own type of sport.

beatProgram I couldn't agree more. The old offensive scheme left a lot to be desired. Yes it won some, but it lost us some too. Now we have a TEAM and its not just because they are simply reacting to adversity. Many have commented that this team reminds us of the "old days", lots of ball and player movement and anyone can burn the opposition at any time. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches have learned a lesson the hard way here. Much, much better to have 5 or 7 options then just 2.

Default Josh can use the time off

I think Josh should use the time off to figure out his priorities, both off the court and on. Stop with the off court drug activity and rededicate yourself to helping the TEAM. That means doing whatever it takes to make the TEAM better. Your mistakes and lapses will be forgiven if this is done.