Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Keating

Default Coach Keating

Anyone know what was up with Coach Keating jetting after the head coach handshake before going through the rest of the handshake line?
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Was that his first attempt at coaching in the Kennel? I believe he was more disappointed with his own team than anything else. I doubt he was thinking much about the Zags, the fans, or Spokane at the time. He was probably wondering how he could regroup in time for the WCC tourney.
    Last edited by MickMick; 03-05-2008 at 12:57 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

El Voce Guest

He was like an 8 yearold throwing a pout. No excuses for the guy -- in all my many, many years of watching college basketball, I have never seen a coach act like that. Any other coach -- Davey, Bennett, Reveno, etal -- would have particularly sought out Pendo and congratulate him on a great career.

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Bobby Knight would do the same thing; shake the head coaches hand & then turn left/right. Maybe Sparky figured that's how he got to 900 wins!

Sore Loser?

If I remember correctly, Coach Calhoun showed no class after the game with UCONN. Barely shook Mark Few's hand, with a scowl on his face. Not sure if he left without shaking hands with players.
    "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

I wonder if he wasn't trying to get back to the locker room fast to see to his player with the concusion - I might have doe the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by roxdoc View Post
    I wonder if he wasn't trying to get back to the locker room fast to see to his player with the concusion - I might have doe the same thing.
    he was sitting on the bench the whole 2nd half.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lurknomore View Post
    Sore Loser?
    You are half right.

If I was reading lips correctly, Few asked KK "How's Brody?" ... KK peeled off, and Few then repeated the question to the next coach in line, who actually responded to him.
    So many brackets, so little time.

I have an excellent view of the vistor's bench from my seats.

There couldn't have been a bigger contrast than that between the occupants of the visitor's bench on Saturday night and last night.

Randy Bennett, his assistants and his players were gracious competitors and the handshakes and hugs after the game were heartfelt.

Keating, on the other hand, acted like he was trying out for a role in Goodfellas: he had the suit, he looks a bit like like Ray Liotta, and I think he got his dialogue straight from Joe Pesce.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default angelo...

did you happen to hear sam scholl say anything, or did you see him do anything, similar to what keating was doing? i would be sad to hear that sam was acting in a such a way....he was my idol growing up as he lived down the street from me and led our high school to the 2A state championship in 1996.

GU Class of '07

Default Keating

That episode after the game exemplified my thoughts of Coach Keating throughout the game. After each media timeout or any timeout on the floor, Keating took every moment to walk to mid court and belittle the refs instead of focus on his players. It was as if the referees had everything to do with the outcome of the game. Then when I saw him shake Few's hand then storm out of there my mind was made up on him. Oh well, each is own.

Quote Originally Posted by El Voce View Post
    He was like an 8 yearold throwing a pout. No excuses for the guy -- in all my many, many years of watching college basketball, I have never seen a coach act like that. Any other coach -- Davey, Bennett, Reveno, etal -- would have particularly sought out Pendo and congratulate him on a great career.
    I was at the game last night, and was truly disappointed by Keating's behavior at the end of the game. How can a coach expect sportsmanship from his players when he himself has no clue what it is. Definitely not the type of individual I would be comfortable with having influence my son on his basketball team. Totally disrespectful... Normally it's the players getting suspended by coaches for this type of behavior.

His behavior during timeouts was way over the top as well. I've never seen a coach approach mid-court numerous times during timeouts and callout officials like he did. I can't believe none of the officials had any kind of backbone to call a technical foul for his disrespectful behavior... it guess it's pretty typical of WCC officiating though

I have a hard time accepting the fact that SCU is alright with this behavior from their head coach. When did SCU approach the level of USF in terms of hiring head coaches with values... Keating and Jesse Evans would have been great friends.

burgesszag Guest

Default Coach Keating/UCLA

Coach Keating is a former Bruin coach and close friend of Ben Howland at UCLA....Apparently coach Few has told recruits to stay away from Howland and UCLA if all they want to do is play defense...This was reported in the Seattle Times...Howland has vowed to never schedule the Zags again and i believe that coach keating is not a big Zag fan either...

Quote Originally Posted by burgesszag View Post
    Coach Keating is a former Bruin coach and close friend of Ben Howland at UCLA....Apparently coach Few has told recruits to stay away from Howland and UCLA if all they want to do is play defense...This was reported in the Seattle Times...Howland has vowed to never schedule the Zags again and i believe that coach keating is not a big Zag fan either...
    1. Thanks for registering today and joining this community.

2. That wasn't what the Times said in their anti Gonzaga, pro Washington piece. And even if it was said -- if it's in the Times it must be true.

3. Howland has never scheduled Gonzaga -- don't see the never "again" if he's never scheduled them once.

please... I'd be interested in reading this article.

do you mean "unless all you want to do is play defense?"

Either way, Ben Howland should stop being a baby. I'm sure he's a real friggin' angel too. I doubt he says ANYTHING negative about other schools when recruiting talent. ...Where's the emoticon that has me rolling my eyes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Every coach says negative things about other schools, it's how you recruit. You point out the advantages of your team/style/campus etc etc and the disadvantages of others. Get over it, Howland.

Apparently coach Few has told recruits to stay away from Howland and UCLA if all they want to do is play defense...This was reported in the Seattle Times...Howland has vowed to never schedule the Zags again...
    I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that Howland would have nothing to gain by scheduling a game with Gonzaga He would never give Gonzaga chance to beat the Bruins and gain any kind of recruiting ground in the West.

Default Coach Keating

His behavior was atrocious throughout the entire game. I sit right at the end of the visitors' bench, and you should have heard the way he treated his team trainer. I was disgusted. The trainer was focused on Brody and didn't see the ref call out Bryant for the blood on his jersey. Keating went nuts on the trainer. Regardless of what title you have, it says a lot about you how you treat each person at whatever level working with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Keating, on the other hand, acted like he was trying out for a role in Goodfellas: he had the suit, he looks a bit like like Ray Liotta, and I think he got his dialogue straight from Joe Pesce.
    Did someone say Keating was funny?

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ####ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ####in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

1. Welcome to the Board Burgess. I swooned over the real Burgess when I was little. Old gym and all that. ANyway, welcome!
    2. As for Coach Keating, honestly I get the impression that he's a "UCLA guy" with all that 11 Banner stuff. This is his first head coaching job. I suspect he thinks lthis league is beneath him and his talent. These guys ( not all but most I know) sorta think they put in their time in the bush leagues and then it's their right to ascend to the BIG leagues when they can be with their peers ( GU isn't thought of as a peer group...nor will the WCC ever be) and they can carve up the best recruits....and then the peer guys can all meet up at the FF and share stories (and few lies too). I mean this is just how it's "supposed" to be...isn't it?

Anyway, I think Keating pictures himself as a coach in waiting. This is their purgatory until they're kicked upstairs.....you know....to where they "belong"?
    Rarified people hangin out with other rarifieds. Big deal about Ben Howland. He'll not be meeting up with GU unless he's forced to....like in the NCAA's.

Raley's article in the PI was a serious attack on GU's program. He meant harm. He meant bad things for the program. He'll try it again too. NO matter, GU just needs to keep winning and competing. If I was Howland, I wouldn't wanna play GU either. GU cleaned their clock a few years ago. Won every category measured. Just folded in the last 3 minutes. It happens. If anyone had seen the entire game though, they'd like tell Benn to stay away. Lots to lose and not much to gain.

Keating needs to settle down though. He's young. He'll figure it out.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-05-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spell

Default A glimpse into the mind of Mr. Gracious

I'll allow that Brody's injury so early in the game must have been a tough pill for Keating & Co. to swallow, but the guy just comes off like an ass.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs...stID=7312#more

Said Broncos coach Kerry Keating: "He tipped the ball out of Kuso's hand and was going for it and Kuso fouled him trying to get a loose ball. Game's over.

"He has some level of it (memory loss). He doesn't remember where he's at or who we played or what happened."

Angley averages 36.2 minutes and the Broncos struggled at both ends of the court with him on the sidelines.

"There wasn't much to say other than that you've got to fight without your leader out there," Keating said. "We're already shorthanded as it is without our starting 2 guard, Zac Tiedeman, and our backup 4 (Andrew) zimmerman. And now without our point guard it's hard to play shorthanded.

"It's hard enough to play let alone when you're at full strength. It's hard to play shorthanded especially when you don't have your only ballhandler on the floor.

"We obviously played a hell of a lot more zone than we've ever played before because we have a hard enough time guarding the ball with him out, knowing that he doesn't come back at all. So we tried to buy some time and give ourselves a chance with the shorthanded roster we have."
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few