Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday Night Games for Meech Goodson, Andy Poling, Brock Osweiler, and Jeff Taylor

Default Friday Night Games for Meech Goodson, Andy Poling, Brock Osweiler, and Jeff Taylor

Tonight I'm posting these as separate entries, starting with ....

Meech Goodson: Meech's Klein Collins team advances to the second round in the bi-district 5A playoffs with a game against Bryan. The game will be broadcast on tsrn.com online radio, with the pre-game starting at 4:35 PST (6:35 local time).

Story regarding Klein-Collins win over Conroe from The Courier,
    Klein Collins knocks off Conroe
    By: Howard Roden, Assistant Sports Editor
    02/20/2008

SPRING - Try as they might in practice, the Conroe High Tigers couldn't simulate Demitri Goodson's first step to the basket.

he stellar point guard sliced and diced his way through Conroe High's defense for a game-high 21 points and backcourt mate Michael Flores contributed 15 from the perimeter as the state's third-ranked 5A squad cruised to a 71-45 Region II bi-district win Tuesday night at the Spring High gym.

District 16-5A co-champion with Klein Forest, Collins (30-4) advances to an area round playoff game against the winner between 14th-ranked Bryan and Cedar Park.

Although the Tigers (18-16) made great strides this season during Jason Van Robays' first year at the helm - vaulting from the 15-5A cellar to a third-place finish - they were overwhelmed by a playoff-savvy Collins team.

"They ran the ball at us. That's what we wanted to do," Van Robays said. "I was impressed with their intensity and how physical they were."

Headed for the West Coast and Gonzaga University this fall, the 6-foot Goodson was virtually unstoppable. If he wasn't scoring on his slashing drives to the hoop, his penetrating moves opened the passing lanes for his teammates.

"We tried to simulate his quickness in practice, but it's hard to prepare your players for someone like that," Van Robays said.

Getting layup after layup, Collins shot 64 percent on 28 of 44 field goal attempts. The 5-foot-10 Flores was the lone exception in Collins' shot chart. He scored 13 of his points in the first half, including consecutive three-point baskets late in the first quarter that gave Collins an 18-6 lead.

When 6-foot-8 Basel Bawji (13 points) took one step back behind the three-point circle and knocked down a trey with 3:59 to play - pushing Collins margin to 67-40 - it was only the second outside shot by Collins in the game other than Flores'.

"We had him (Flores) listed as a shooter, but we were trying to give some help on guard Goodson," Van Robays said. "When he hit the first (trey) I wasn't worried, but then he started hitting every open shot."
    Axe-grinding alert: Goodson lovers here on the board are granting a one-time-only amnesty to the Goodson doubters from months past here on the board. Got a feeling the Zags coaching staff hasn't lost it's touch at finding great but underrated players who can't believe their good fortune to be playing for the Zags?

ZN will definitely be tuning in for this one!
    Last edited by ZagNative; 02-21-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Andy Poling: Westview plays Aloha at home at 7:30. I thought the game would be broadcast live on 1360 KUIK, but now their schedule looks messed up, as it shows the game on the 19th instead of the 22nd. No idea ...

Westview is in 3rd place in league standings, at 5-3 in league, 11-11 overall. A thread earlier this week linked a Rivals Story that said,
    Seven-foot Andy Poling was unstoppable in the low post. One of the few shots he missed, however, was crucial. To the surprise of everyone in the gym, he missed a four-foot bank shot with his team trailing 58-60 in the last minute and the Wildcats never got another chance.

Poling finished with 19 points and is now playing his best ball since joining the Westview starting lineup four years ago. He's getting better position on offense and forcing opponents to double-team him. When that happens, he makes good passes that frequently result in open shots.
    Andy's stat line to date:

From a friend at Westview:
    Westview (5-3)vs. Aloha (2-6)
    Friday 2/22 - SENIOR NIGHT FOR WESTVIEW. We will be honoring the seniors on the team and also announcing that Andy has been nominated for McDonalds All-American. We have two league games left, we have already clinched a playoff spot and if we win out the lowest seed will be #2 representative from the tough Metro League.

The game vs Aloha will be a test for Andy since they have a very good 6'9 post player that will challenge Andy.
    Go Wildcats!

Good stuff as always ZN, I can't wait to see Meech next year...I have a great feeling about him. I was just wondering if anyone has heard any news from Gibbs since his injury, about his rehab and everything?
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Brock Osweiler: The Flathead Braves (13-5, 5-4 in league) play Glacier (3-16, 0-11) at home at 7:00 PST (8:00 Kalispell time). The game will be broadcast as the second game of a double-header on MyHank.com. MaxPreps comparison of tehw two teams shows Brock with 24.9 ppg, 14.5 rpg, 2.3 spg, and 1.8 bpg. He leads in every category in the Maxpreps comparison for his team except assists.

Last game story from the Daily Interlake, Flathead over Helena HIgh 75-59 last Saturday.
    Brock Osweiler had 25 points — including two 3-pointers and a slam dunk — with eight rebounds, three steals and three blocks. Connor Cavigli had 16 points, four rebounds, two steals and two assists.
    Pregame story from the Daily Interlake here.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 02-22-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Good stuff as always ZN, I can't wait to see Meech next year...I have a great feeling about him. I was just wondering if anyone has heard any news from Gibbs since his injury, about his rehab and everything?
    Regarding Grant Gibbs, CZF, no news, except what was posted within the last few days speculating that he might be able to join the team for the playoffs.

For a preview of Jeff Taylor's game, I might wait until tomorrow morning. We'll see how these toothpicks work in proping my eylids up tonight.

Jeff Taylor: Tops on the wish list for many of us, unsigned Jeff Taylor and his Hobbs Eagles have a rematch with top-ranked Clovis on the Eagles fabled home court. Should be a dandy, after Clovis handed the Eagles one of their few defeats a few days ago. (Game story here.) Look for some revenge to be extracted in Hobbs on Friday.

The game will, as always, be broadcast live in online radio on Hobbs HS TV/Radio link. (click on Eagle TV/Radio, then Live Radio. Click on HMS Sports to see some video of the Eagles-Clovis previous matchup.

No hype necessary for Jeff Taylor. He's a special '08 guy. Hope we get him, come spring signing period (beginning April 16?). MaxPreps stat comparison for the Clovis game shows him with 27.9 ppg and 10.5 rpg. Even on the radio, he's an exciting player to follow.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 02-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Thank you for all the updates ZN. Jeff Taylor is high on my wish list as well.
    I miss Mike Hart

Thanks alot ZN!

I wish Jeff Taylor could/would see the 9 pt piece on Rony Turiaff
    Very few schools are going to be such family to players departed

Does that story about Meech not give anyone else a case of the vapors?

(I went searching for a graphic to describe my emotions about the prospect of this young man suiting up as a Zag come autumn, and, as usual, was distracted and amused in the process, this time learning about the phenomenon of fainting goats, who apparently fold up when startled. I can identify, completely. Somebody get that Zag fan some smelling salts!)

Default I love ZN posts, esp. on recruit game nite!

Except that goat is really weirdin' me out.

Anyways, re.Clovis/Hobbs: Don't forget the live video link one of our NM friends dropped on the board a couple weeks back -----> nmaa.tv. Don't know how that worked for y'all last time. For me, the feed was decent most of the game, tho' it did cut out a couple times. And hopefully the camera angle is a little better at Hobbs.

Also, Linn-Mar has a sub-state semi tonite against Cedar Falls, according to the WCF Courier. In prior posts, ZN has linked 1600espn for audio coverage. Whether they carry the game, I don't know, and I haven't seen a time posted either. Just throwing it out there. Might be worth a check. (And if any of our Marion friends have updates on Grant's situation, please pass along!)

With all the high school action goin' on, & no Zags game 'til Monday, I'll admit to being more than a little curious as to the whereabouts of the staff.
    ..here..comes..the..BOOM!!!

BBSkorer, thanks so much for the added info and links! Here's more (bolding added for emphasis):

Jeff Taylor: There's a pregame story for the Clovis-Hobbs game in qcsunonline.com.
    Clovis looks for 26-0 mark in rematch against rivals
    By Kevin Wilson: Freedom New Mexico
    February 22 2008 12:31 AM

With a 25-0 record and a 92-74 win over Hobbs under the Clovis Wildcats’ belt, Eagles coach Russ Gilmore doubts he’s going to see anything different from the Wildcats tonight.

“When you play as well as they did, I don’t know what kind of adjustments you can really make,” Gilmore said. “They’re going to continue to do what’s won them 25 games in a row, and who can blame them? They are without a doubt the No. 1 team in the state.”

Maybe so, but right now the Wildcats would settle for just being No. 1 in next week’s District 4-5A tournament. Clovis, 3-0 in district, can wrap up the top seed with either a win tonight at Hobbs (22-3, 2-1), or a loss by 17 or less.

Guess which one Clovis coach J.D. Isler wants.

“We’re going in there to win the game,” the seventh-year coach said. “We’d like to win the district championship outright and that’s the mentality of the kids.”

While Gilmore thinks road teams are sometimes better because there’s less pressure to perform, but he figures the Ralph Tasker Arena crowd will create a hostile environment for Clovis and will add one more chapter to the long-standing rivalry between the southern New Mexico schools.

“Our reserve seats are sold out 10 years down the line, so we’ve always got big crowds,” Gilmore said. “But the intensity level (when Clovis comes here), you can feel it in the air. It’s always greater because of the respect we have for them.”

The respect is mutual, so much that both Isler and Gilmore reason the opponent is too good to deviate from what they’ve done all year.

“I don’t see them doing a lot different. They may try to press us a little more at their place,” Isler said. “I think their game plan is pretty simple. They’re going to get (6-foot-7 senior post Jeff) Taylor the ball as much as possible.”
    Wow. A high school with reserved seats for boys basketball sold out ten years in advance! And that's a 3,500 seat arena.

It's going to be interesting, to say the least, to see what Jeff can do at home against a team that beat the Eagles so badly their last matchup.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 02-22-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Being a resident of Hobbs this game is big for the entire city. Many of the people I work with waited until wednesday to try to get tickets and were unable to do so. The radio stations have started announcing that all tickets were sold out. And Re: the reserved tickets, my family moved here in '91 and had three reserved seat since then and that moved to 5 when my son was born 3 years ago. My parents even kept buying my seat while i was away at college for 4 years because they feared they may lose it. Big game for Jeff tonight. Hope he has a great one to begin the journey towards state championship #16.

Jeff is squarely atop my wish list. He's a true-blue bonafide go-to type of scorer. All the assists from Meech and Gibbs to Taylor, it could turn into a Stockton-to-Malone combo.

Then comes the long-range bomber in '09: Marshall Henderson.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

It's really nice to have you aboard, crescd215. (crescd215, if you'll remember, was the bearer of gifts in his first post, when he provided us with the video link to watch the game.) It's just neat to hear from someone else who's up close and personal with the Hobbs program.

It's been fun for me to learn about Hobbs BB this year. Whether or not Jeff ultimately chooses to be a Zag, I'll sure be checking in to see what's up with the Eagles in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    It's really nice to have you aboard, crescd215. (crescd215, if you'll remember, was the bearer of gifts in his first post, when he provided us with the video link to watch the game.) It's just neat to hear from someone else who's up close and personal with the Hobbs program.

It's been fun for me to learn about Hobbs BB this year. Whether or not Jeff ultimately chooses to be a Zag, I'll sure be checking in to see what's up with the Eagles in the future.
    Dittos, 215. Thanks much!

Also, re. Grant Gibbs......it's not exactly an official press release, but if true, is certainly good news: Iowa Preps 4A Forum

Quote Originally Posted by BBskorer View Post
    Also, re. Grant Gibbs......it's not exactly an official press release, but if true, is certainly good news: Iowa Preps 4A Forum
    WOW WOW WOW! Nice find, BBSkorer! I had checked the Gazette online just this morning and there was no news about grant, but now this:
    Gibbs makes return just in time for 4A postseason
    By Jeff Dahn
    The Gazette

Linn-Mar played its final 10 games — half of its regular season — over a stretch of a little more than three weeks from Jan. 22 through Feb. 16 without all-stater Grant Gibbs , a Gonzaga-bound standout who has been sidelined with a broken wrist.

The Class 4A postseason begins tonight for Linn-Mar and the other 15 teams statewide that received top-two seeds and byes into the substate tournament semifinals. The Lions (16-4) open at home against Cedar Falls (13-9) and it appears likely they’ll be vying for their fifth straight trip to the state tournament with Gibbs back in the fold.

“The cast is off and he’s been cleared by his doctors,” Linn-Mar Coach Chris Robertson said Thursday. “He’s got a little brace on it and (tonight) might be a little bit of a stretch, but as soon as he feels he’s ready to go, he’ll be out there.” Linn-Mar and Cedar Falls play in one substate semifinal with Cedar Rapids Jefferson (15-7) at Waterloo East (14-7) on the other side of the bracket. Second-ranked Cedar Rapids Kennedy (19-2) hosts Dubuque Hempstead (6-16) in a semifinal opposite Clinton (8-13) and Dubuque Senior (9-11). Top-ranked Iowa City High (20-1) hosts Ottumwa (1011) and Iowa City West (14-7) hosts Oskaloosa (17-5) in another substate.

Seventh-ranked and defending state champion Linn-Mar went 7-3 without Gibbs , losing to top-ranked Iowa City High, No. 7 Bettendorf and Omaha Central, second-ranked in Nebraska when the teams met.

The return of Gibbs would boost a Linn-Mar team that has played well without him, even in its three defeats. Senior Alex Weldon and juniors Nate Hutcheson, Zach Bohannon and Drew Crawford have toughened their games and the Lions are ready for another long postseason run.

Linn-Mar beat Cedar Falls, 61-45, in the regular season meeting.

“I think they’re excited and we’re all excited to get going,” Robertson said. “One of the strengths of our guys is they’re experienced and they know what it takes. This team also knows there is no margin for error.” Jefferson will face an East team it beat 59-55 in its regular season finale last Friday. The J-Hawks have won five of six behind the inside play of Chad Underwood and Al Klees.

“East is very quick and they get on the boards,” Jefferson Coach Stu Ordman said. “They have two very talented players in Trice Scott and Jaron Nash, but you just have to go and play. I think as long as we stay focused and play our game, we’ll have a good shot.”

¦ Contact the writer: (319) 368-8841 or jeff.dahn@gazettecommunications.com

The return of Gibbs would boost a LinnMar team that has played well without him.
    I tried to provide a link to the story, but the online Gazette's website is kind of weird and won't let me link directly to the story.

I had checked the Gazette online just this morning and there was no news about grant, but now this:
    Okay, now that's more like it. Great find, ZN!

And best of luck to Grant & the Lions this post-season!

Default that goat didn't faint,

that goat is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    that goat is dead.
    Gamagin, didn't I talk to you about that negative streak of yours?

Reminder and Summary:

Code:
    Meech	4:35 PM	Radio
    Grant	5:00 PM	Radio
    Jeff	5:30 PM	Radio
    Brock	7:00 PM	Radio	
    Andy	7:30 PM	Radio
    Online TV for the Hobbs game may be found here: Link

Meech's game just ready for tip-off, and once again Announcers Michael Silvers and Brent Moody acknowledge the fans listening in the PNW.

I hadn't done any research on tonight's opponent, Bryan, but they sure don't sound like cupcakes.

Go Tigers!

Reminder and Summary:

Code:
    Meech	4:35 PM	Radio
    Grant	5:00 PM	Radio
    Jeff	5:30 PM	Radio
    Brock	7:00 PM	Radio	
    Andy	7:30 PM	Radio
    Online TV for the Hobbs game may be found here: Link

Amazing stuff ZN

Thank goodness Al Gore invented the internet for us, huh?

At the half, Klein Collins carries a slim lead into the locker room, I believe, 24-23, and I'm showing Meech with just 4 points so far. Could be wrong, though; but I want to tune in Jeff's game for a while, so got to go.

One of the announcers pronounced the game one of the sloppiest he'd seen in a while, probably because of the fast pace. We'll see what Meech does in the second half.

That goat does look a bit stiff, ZN.

Great news about Gibbs.

Go get 'em, Meech.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."