Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Zags Item ?

My favorite piece of zag memorabilia is a tattered intramural championship T-shirt from the year I went to GU. Our team was all guys out of catherine monica and we got our names put on the back. AND OF COURSE, ITS LUCKY!!! hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post

If I can wear my '67 T-shirt around the house, you should surely be able to wear your '99 T-shirt in downtown Kirkland, in the summertime, Moss Bay, the Cactus, Hectors.....Go for it!
    That's hilarious! I live close to town and walk down there all the time with Zag stuff on, drink at Hectors & the Cactus, all of that stuff. Just not my old faded t-shirt that's falling apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoZarth View Post
    Like Rennis I'm in the Frahm SI photo against Stanford. I have like 4 copies.
    nice! The funny thing is we were stuck in a crowd of Florida fans. They didn't like us too much. One of them, however, at the end of the game shook my hand and said "your team is scary, I wish we were playing Stanford next week"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Mine is an old-school children's sweatshirt with the sailor-hat wearing Bulldog.
    (from the Stockton years, when my grandparents used to take 6-year-old me to the games)

I had it hanging on the wall for seveeral years, but I've got kid #1 on the way, and look forward to putting it to use in the inevitable indoctrination.

The GU thong panties are a close second though . . .

Two years ago, for father's day, my wife took 25 of my GU t-shirts and sweatshirts and made a quilt of them for me. Each panel on the quilt is made from a shirt.
    The center panel is made from a 1999 Elite 8 sweatshirt. The other sweet 16 shirts are there, too, as well as my 2005 official Kennel Club shirt, Stockton's number retirement shirt, Missouri BIS shirt, etc.

Oh--I should mention--the borders and backing are red satin.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    You had me up until this line, Pontiff. Methinks the wife forced that last line to be typed.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I have a couple bottles of broken backboard glass from when Casey Calvary hammered the backboard down at the arena. I also got a banner from the Black Coaches tourney that was in Maryland a few years back. I had Blake Stepp and Ronny Turiaf and Corey Violette sign it. Thats pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Two years ago, for father's day, my wife took 25 of my GU t-shirts and sweatshirts and made a quilt of them for me. Each panel on the quilt is made from a shirt.
    The center panel is made from a 1999 Elite 8 sweatshirt. The other sweet 16 shirts are there, too, as well as my 2005 official Kennel Club shirt, Stockton's number retirement shirt, Missouri BIS shirt, etc.

That's a creative way for the wife to reduce the amount of Zag clothing in the house...
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

My Pauley Pavilion ticket stub dated December 11, 1999. That was the day GU beat 11th-ranked UCLA 59-43. My wife and I were invited by an avid Bruin fan who knew nothing about Gonzaga and assumed the Zags were merely cannon fodder for the mighty Bruins who had several future NBA players on that team. Probably the most enjoyable Zag game I've personally attended.

We'll move this one back to the Blue & White Cafe in a little while. . .some great stories and wonderful treasures.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 05-01-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Default What a great thread -- tns

I have some things I cherish, but unfortunately they are gathering dust in my heart, not in my closet.

Having spent the first 21 years of my life living on what now is part of the campus (The rosauers Higher Ed building bears our home's address), and the rest of it nearby, I feel like it has always been there for me, like a childhood friend or a lifelong mentor.

If I could wave a wand, and would have had the foresight to save anything, it would be the pictures that pop up in my head about things I saw, people I met and priests whom we used to serve mass for or just walk along with as a matter of course while growing up.

Fr. Corkery, Fr. Linden (who always had a yellow lab named Mike), Fr. robbie, Brother Buskins, Fr. St Marie (who always gave us candy). even Frs. Kohler and Dussault, who took more basketballs away than I'd care to count (because we would play in the gym --russell theatre-- after hours and, technically, illegally). Harold Wagner (the first treasurer and my dad's boss at one time), too. would be in there. Along with Dan Brajcich, Sr. And Father John Hurley, who was treasurer at Gonzaga High School when it was located where Welch Hall now stands, Fr. Harry Jahn (the kindly fellow who gave us all the sports paraphanalia GU/GP no longer wanted to the neighborhood kids), Fr. Toner (Gordon the Warden). Fr. Gerald Weller, whom I was named after. Right on through Fr. tony, who legitimately could claim to have touched every single person he ever met. And remembered their names, too.

As a bat boy for the baseball team and ball boy for several basketball teams, I also had great access to the inside action for several years.

So without elaborating further, I would say only that I wish those pictures in my heart had been captured on film so I could look at them.

Or just show my kids and grandkids the wonderful childhood my parents provided me and that Gonzaga tolerated, too.

there just was no place better, and no better influence one could hope for or be exposed to, than living in that environment and taking part in all that it offered.

It is and remains a city within a city where hopes and expectations and kindness and love are but a few of what is expected of all who enter.

And it makes me well up to think just how wonderful it was to be a part of it. To be embraced by it. To recall it. To appreciate it and the people who embraced me. Remember me. Appreciated me.

It would make a wonder blanket, like Angelo's. Or a beautiful collage. I would love to show it to you all, but this is the best I can do because my collection doesn't exist in the physical sense.

Or maybe now it does.

Thanks for thinking this thread up. It's just great.

Default Thanks!

Mostly I lurk around the basketball forum, but I thought I would wander over here. What a fun place, and thanks to the people posting and offering memories.

I have a wooden sword signed on one side by all my fellow "Intercollegate Knights" from 72-73, and on the other side it has a painted slogan "Once A Knight is Enough".

I have half a roll of tickets from a campus carnival event that was held on the lawn east of Welch Hall in the spring of 1973. Fr. Tony would not allow us (Roncalli Dorm) to sell beer at the carnival, but after negotiations he agreed we could give out beer as a prize as long as we were discrete. So we took a full sheet of plywood and cut a hole that was approximately 42 inches wide and 90 inches tall. We placed the sheet of plywood 18 inches from the front table. You got 1 bean bag per $1.00 entry, and if you tossed the bean bag through the hole you won a can of Hamms. We awarded over a thousand cans of Hamms as prizes that day. Fr. Tony was a wonderful guy and a great inspiration to me and my friends, but he would not have made much of a contract lawyer.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I think my license plate is my favorite Zags item. In CA we can have some symbols and my vanity plate says <3MYZAGS. I get honks and thumbs up on highway 101 all the time!

Other than that, it is my diploma, all my kennel club tee shirts and the flag that got "left behind" after a school sponsored party at my parents house. And the picture I have of Ronny and I in my dorm room freshman year.

Ahh the memories!

It's not my favorite and it hasn't been worn in many years. It's extremely rare, may even be one of a kind now,and it is authentic. I have a GU Speedo.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It's not my favorite and it hasn't been worn in many years. It's extremely rare, may even be one of a kind now,and it is authentic. I have a GU Speedo.
    Picture, please.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default Found in a Spokane antique shop

Fund raiser from the 70's ??

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

I possess a wedding ring that is worth around $20 bucks, but it has a Gonzaga Bulldog on it.

I also own, my 2005-2006 Kennel Club T-Shirt, a very worn down Gonzaga hoodie (bought it in 2007 beaten and torn, I won't part with it), 7 different GU Hats representing each season that I started really following the team. I have a Gonzaga ring of fame which includes all my favorite all time Zaggers like Reed Schiefferman, John Stockton, Jerry Vermillion, Frank Burgess, AMMO, Stepp, Santangelo, you get it....

I also have an autographed AMMO pictured plaque when he played against Okie State that I absolutely adore, as well as the AMMO Sports Illustrated and Sporting News.

Now all I need is a ticket stub! HA!
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Memories and photos are my most prized GU possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Memories and photos are my most prized GU possessions.
    Off season "bump" and move from Mae's ..... so good to see some names from the past (and wish they'd come back)

Agree F1d ... although I kinda like my "good luck" jersey, which used to fit loosely over pads and now is a "bit" snug. We got to keep our jerseys after winning a Championship my freshman year. Also ... a tip of the cap to my fellow "Knight" '75 ... (although I was a couple of years later)

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I have several GU sweatshirts, plaques, a GU clock, etc. Treasure them all. But none can come within a billion miles in comparison to my most beloved “Zag item,” that being my precious wife of some 56 years. We were both students at GU, and we met at a GU basketball game in the Coliseum. That was 58 years ago (the Burgess years). At that game, a friend of mine informed me that he had just learned of a girl student that needed a ride from the game to her house on the South Hill, in the area I lived in. I said sure. Turned out, my passenger and I lived within six blocks from each other, but I had never met her until that night. Long story short, I began giving her a ride to school every day. We were married a little over a year later. Today, some four sons and daughter-in-laws and many grandkids and great grandkids later, we still, out here where we live in Montana, watch every GU game together on TV. GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagtana View Post
    I have several GU sweatshirts, plaques, a GU clock, etc. Treasure them all. But none can come within a billion miles in comparison to my most beloved “Zag item,” that being my precious wife of some 56 years. We were both students at GU, and we met at a GU basketball game in the Coliseum. That was 58 years ago (the Burgess years). At that game, a friend of mine informed me that he had just learned of a girl student that needed a ride from the game to her house on the South Hill, in the area I lived in. I said sure. Turned out, my passenger and I lived within six blocks from each other, but I had never met her until that night. Long story short, I began giving her a ride to school every day. We were married a little over a year later. Today, some four sons and daughter-in-laws and many grandkids and great grandkids later, we still, out here where we live in Montana, watch every GU game together on TV. GO ZAGS!!!
    Great story, and a major reason why I love and support GU. I met Mary (aka the Lovely Mrs. '75) on the day of my 18th birthday when she was walking down the hallway of Catherine-Monica, GU's recently created co-ed dorm. We have been together for 45 years, which is less than you guys, but still a pretty decent accomplishment these days. Best to you and your wife and extended family, and .....

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

wife got me a basketball signed by the 2008 team, which is when I graduated. Also got a signed Morrison jersey last year from some coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    wife got me a basketball signed by the 2008 team, which is when I graduated. Also got a signed Morrison jersey last year from some coworkers.
    I've only been following the Zags for a couple of years, but my "prized" possession is a signed team ball from the 2015 Elite 8 team.

If there was a house fire what would we grab? Hmmmm...The Mrs would grab the autographed John Stockton BBall cuz we spent $600 to buy it at a youth sports fund raising auction. that doesn't include the cost of the beer that lec me to spend that amount. I would grab the Robert Sacre autographed .99 cent double 0 beer coozie

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierZag View Post
    I've only been following the Zags for a couple of years, but my "prized" possession is a signed team ball from the 2015 Elite 8 team.
    With you in that one

I would die for a fly fishing trip with coach few
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few