Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Zags Item ?

Gotta honestly say, that gets me a little misty Gamagin. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Fr. Dussault story -

My father went to GU his freshman year of college, circa 1947 or so, then transferred to UM for Pharmacy. When I went to GU my freshman year in 1988, my father ran into Fr. Dussault at a reception and Fr. Dussault recognized my Dad and called him by name. 41 years later!!! ]
    Fr Tony had the same uncanny ability to remember people and names. My brother in law graduated from GU in the '70's.

His fourth child (Melaney) was born in June of 2002. Guess who made a personal phone call to my sisiter and brother in law to congratulate them on their new arrival...saintly Fr Tony.

No, my bro-in-law did not play gu basketball...just another student touched by the man.

It was only months after that event that Fr. Tony went on to his reward. That phone call is a treasured moment to this day.

PeninsulaDog:

Your comments regarding football in the 30's and 40's cause me to think of my favorite GU item; the memory of sitting at my uncle's kitchen table with a gallon of Paisano and reveling in his stories of Gonzaga. He came out of the rough and tumble mining/logging town of Priest River, Idaho in the mid 30's and attended GU on a boxing and football scholarship. He roomed three houses from my mother's family home and eventually married my mom's sister. To this day, I've never met a finer man. He was a teammate of George "Automatic" Karamatic and Tony "The Gray Ghost" Canadeo, two of Gonzaga's all time greats and the subects of two of my favorite stories.

Coach Mike Pecarovich recruited Canadeo's best friend out of Chicago, a high school super star and the coach wanted this guy badly. On a visit to Spokane the guy tells Pecarovich that he wanted his pal, Tony Canadeo, to receive a scholarship too. The coach's response was "no way", so the guy started to leave town and Pecarovich reluctantly gave in. I can't remember the super star's name but Tony Canadeo is in the NFL Hall of Fame.

George Karamatic was a highly recruited player who was on his way to the University of Washington with his mother and father to sign a scholarship offer. Somehow Pecarovich got wind of this and met the train when it stopped in Spokane to get serviced. Coach goes up to George and his parents and introduces himself and tells them what a great school Gonzaga was and George would fit right into the football program. George tells him not a chance and that he's going to play for the Washington Huskies. Well, Mr. and Mrs. Karamatic were Yugoslavian immigrants and Pecarovich grew up speaking Slavic, so he starts talking with Mr. and Mrs. Karamatic in Slavic. Within a few minutes Mr. and Mrs. Karamatic both turn to George and tell him that they're going no further and that he will be playing football for Gonzaga. He went on to become a triple threat star who consistently punted the less-streamlined 1930's ball 60 yards. I particularly like this tale because as far as I know, it was the first major victory by the Bulldogs over the Huskies.

I heard those and many more stories over and over again and never got tired of listening to them. Sipping on that wonderful Paisano red had a little to do with with that, but very little.
    Last edited by jhoop; 03-01-2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: punctuation

Default jhoop

GREAT stories ! ! Classic. thanks.

Quick, silly Fr. Tony story. I knew Fr. Tony from my days at GU, although not that well.

But as was typical with Fr. Tony he knew who I was and was always very gracious and nice to me in the years after graduation.

I used to live in the bay area in CA and would go to as many games as I could when the Bulldogs were playing in town. At a Santa Clara game I was chatting w/ Fr. Tony after the game and he mentioned that he had to catch a plane (probably to preside at one your weddings ) and could I possibly give him a ride to the airport.

How could I refuse Fr. Tony?

I accepted even though I knew I would be embarrased. You see, at the time, I owned a really old and beat up Nissan pick up on which the passenger door was inoperable. Plus, I wasn't used to having passengers so I had stuff on the passenger seat. Fr. Tony didn't miss a beat and was happy to crawl through the drivers side after I got my stuff out of the way. I was still embarassed but somehow Fr. Tony made me feel less embarassed than I might have otherwise.

Another silly Father Tony story:

For some reason, I'll always remember the first time I met Father Tony. I may have told this story before, but here goes again.

It was Spring '88. I went to GU during spring break of my senior year in high school to visit my uncle. He lived in Cushing at the time--third floor. When I rolled into town, I went right up to my uncle's room so he could show me around. He had a little fridge in the corner...filled with Black Label, of course. While we were sitting there chatting, in walks a Jesuit priest who proceeds to grab a beer out of the fridge and sits down and chats with us. He introduced himself as Father Tony and I later learned that he was the hall's resident priest, living in the next room over. My uncle informed me that he had free and unlimited access to my uncle's fridge.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Default GU Stuff

My favorite item, is my grandfathers Whistle, which was used to coach Gonzaga Prep to over 70 victories, 72, the Gonzaga only counts 65. It's the same one he used at GU, to bad they went 13-12-1 with 7 of those losses in 1941, when it was decided to drop football. Most likely why Puggy is not in the Gonzaga Hall of Fame. I have a couple of pretty cool scrap books and a photograph of the 1925 starting Backfield with Maurice Clipper Smith. My grandpa was in that backfield for 4 years. Best teams Gonzaga ever had, or ever will, in football. 1922-25.

favorite item is my ammo jersey...i wear my can't stop the stache t-shirt more often though.

(now every forum has been updated today )
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

I'm a big autograph collector, and stuck around after a bunch of Zags games to get stuff signed. I have one 8x10 photo each signed by most players between 2002-06 (still need all the new guys from this season), and 8x10s of a few of the 1999-02 group (Dickau, Hall, Calvary, Santangelo), some older ones (Frank Burgess, Jeff Brown, Paul Rogers, John Rillie, Bakari Hendrix). When Long Beach State comes to Seattle this season to play UW, I will probably try and get Dan Monson's autograph.

I would love to get John Stockton for this collection, but as many of you know he is next to impossible to get an autograph from - he simply doesn't like doing it for a myriad of reasons. The photo I have of him is an old one of him as a Zag dribbling the ball at the old Kennedy Pavilion, but it's memorabilia and unfortunately that kind of stuff sells on eBay so some bigger-name players are much more reluctant to sign such items. I did get a good handshake from John once after a game, which is good enough for me.

If I get around to scanning these photos in, I will definitely post a link on this board!

I also cherish my four Kennel Club shirts intensely from my years at GU, and will make sure NEVER to lose them. Those shirts will bring back memories years from now.

Sammamizag: Wow! That's sounds like a very cool collection. Please post when you get pics. I'm trying to collect all the Zags on a basketball. It's getting pretty crowded. The post season banquet is a great chance for autos as all the current players are very accomodating. Might be worth a road trip for you.

John Stockton has never been much of a public signer for whatever reason. I think he is just a real private person and people around here certainly respect his wishes and I rarely see anyone approach him anymore. His autos are actually easier than ever to get......for a price. John is under contract with Topps (just like Adam) and his autographed cards are randomly inserted in Topps Trading card products. It's not as fun a way to get an autograph but at least it is absolutely guaranteed authentic.

As far as Ebay goes, it is unfortunate that some athletes refuse to sign citing Ebay sales as a reason not to. With the advent of autograph authentication services in the last few years, the value of unauthenticated autographs has dropped to practically zero. An unauthenticated auto of Stockton would probably bring $3-$5 on Ebay with authentic autographs going for $75-$200.

Anyhoo, good luck with that collection. I hope you get a lot of the new guys this year!

Default Favorite Zags Item ?

The bad thing about these Monday games is the 5 day break between games. So here's one random topic to pass the time. What is your favorite piece of GU memorabilia?

I'll start off with my Adam Morrison signed basketball. My Dad got it for me for Christmas two years ago. It says "Go Zags signed Adam Morrison 3".
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

This week it's even worse - no saturday game, so we have to wait until next Monday @ Portland.

I like those red, long-sleeved warm-up shirts that the guys wear.

Easy question for me. My #1 Ronny jersey beer holder. Got it in 02 or 03. They came our with a #3 a few years later, but they sold out quick from the bookstore. I don't know if the bookstore still sells them since I don't live in Spokane anymore. At any rate, they are not on the online bookstore site. I have not seen one made like that since. I would love a #2 though as mine, which are only used during games, are getting old. The lame thing is that I wrote my last name on the back.

BTW Carolinazag, I grew up near you in the huge city of Rocky Mount, NC.

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangezag View Post
    Easy question for me. My #1 Ronny jersey beer holder. Got it in 02 or 03. They came our with a #3 a few years later, but they sold out quick from the bookstore. I don't know if the bookstore still sells them since I don't live in Spokane anymore. At any rate, they are not on the online bookstore site. I have not seen one made like that since. I would love a #2 though as mine, which are only used during games, are getting old. The lame thing is that I wrote my last name on the back.

BTW Carolinazag, I grew up near you in the huge city of Rocky Mount, NC.
    Really, thats pretty cool...a couple of my friends play baseball over there at NC Weslyan.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Baseball at NC Wesleyn? My cousin is marrying a senoir on that team this august.

BTW, I went to Elon over in Burlington for my BA and Gonzaga for graduate school.

My T-Shirt from the 2000 sweet sixteen that has holes and stains but still gets some time out in public.
    GO ZAGS

i have a few

1) is a shirt signed by the elite eight team on one side, and the team that at one point was ranked # 2 in the nation on the other side.

2) A ball signed by the greatest zags that i have witnessed (morrison, stepp, dickau, turiaf, violette, pargo, batista)

3) a picture of adam and me, that is signed by adam and framed.

4) a nike zags warmup signed by adam

1) My t-shirt I bought the day after we beat SC in the '99 conference tournament, with a screen printed shot of Santangelo (who scored 36) and some newsprint from the Spokesman on the back and a ghetto looking bulldog on the front. I love that shirt, but never get to wear it.

2) The '99 Sports Illustrated issue with Frahm shooting the jumper over Stanford. I love to show people myself and my friends who you can clearly see in the bleachers in the background of the picture

3) All the newspaper clippings and taped TV coverage in which I'm a part of. I was in like 3 newpaper photos and countless TV interviews in the 99 and 2000 runs.

4) The Morrison/Reddick SI

5) All the stuff I have in my office at work. Too much to list, but when GU students come through for recruiting it's safe to say they are pretty blown away. No Huskies or Cougs in my building can match my office. (Especially whe you add in the Pearl Jam stuff...my office is a freaking shrine to all things that effing rock.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

the entire 2005-2006 team signed a "Go Zags" poster and the coaching staff sent a personalized card along with it for my mom who was battling brain cancer, but always found the energy to scream for the Zags!

mom passed away on March 14th, 2006, but the poster is still framed and hanging in my dad's living room, and the card is displayed next to it.

those two items are easily my favorite.

on a less serious note, the small nerf gonzaga basketball that i throw around the house during games is a favorite as well.

GU Class of '07

A photo of half a dozen of us with Butch (the WSU mascot) whom we swiped in December of 1965 as a prank. It was for the grand opening of Kennedy Pavilion, and we had to return the cougar after the game.

Uber's Favorite

. . .really they shouldn't let Uber out of the Foo.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Default Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    Uber's Favorite

Wow, I'm really considering buying those for my girlfriend. Look at the "Item Location"....Here, There, Underwear, USA

Classic!

Toss up for me. It could be either the place setting card from Ronny's senior banquet held on the K2 floor (signed by many players) or the signed Ammo signed Sports Illustrated. Not to mention the Ronny #1 jersey that gets worn to every Zag game I attend.

I'd have to say all three.
    Last edited by LongIslandZagFan; 02-21-2008 at 06:50 AM.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default A couple

Like Rennis I'm in the Frahm SI photo against Stanford. I have like 4 copies.

Also, I have picture of Adam from his freshman year dunking on the Huskies. He signed with my name and "Go Zags." Pretty cool. Framed and on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    Uber's Favorite

Yep. You've got that one right. (Although......, I must admit, I do enjoy your posts. You're a funny guy. Maybe a little PG-13 to R at times, but still, a funny guy.)

My oldest item is the very first GU T-shirt I purchased in the summer of 1967. I still have it. A little worn, but still appropriate for around the house.

My most treasured posession is my GU basketball, signed by the 2003-04 team. It's kept in a glass container display. I check its air pressure and adjust it on a quarterly basis. There are two blank spots on it for autographs. One is reserved for The Honorable Judge Frank Burgess and the other for John Stockton. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get them. I've had a couple opportunities to approach Mr. Stockton for his signature on the ball, but just could not bring myself to impose upon him. Under the circumstances of the moment, I felt his privacy was more important. The man is a pure Class One Act.

And, oh, I can't forget my photo with Sean Mallon taken at Jack and Dan's in May of 2006 during the week of Law School Graduation (Not my graduation. My daughter's.) It sits on my office window shelf along with other photos of my wife and children. They're a little taken back by it but, too bad.

rennis 1) My t-shirt I bought the day after we beat SC in the '99 conference tournament, with a screen printed shot of Santangelo (who scored 36) and some newsprint from the Spokesman on the back and a ghetto looking bulldog on the front. I love that shirt, but never get to wear it.
    If I can wear my '67 T-shirt around the house, you should surely be able to wear your '99 T-shirt in downtown Kirkland, in the summertime, Moss Bay, the Cactus, Hectors.....Go for it!
    Last edited by Zagineer; 02-21-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling error