Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Zags Item ?

229 -- I'll see if I can figure out how to do it

Autographed ticket stubs from the past three years (the tickets feature pictures of the players).

Autographed schedule posters from the past four years.

Photographs of myself with players.

And couple of really cool coffee mugs with interactive basketballs atop the handles.

Default Ahh The Season

We have The Season on VHS and my kids are always going around trying to imitate Turiaf's accent, "Earl's always touchin' my DVD's!" Our family has enough photos, autographs, sweatshirts, t-shirts, sweatpants, hats, posters, etc. to be considered obsessive. But, it's not as though I do dumb things like sign up for our local sports package, which includes Fox College in order to watch ONE game on the afternoon of said game. . .

Default A piece of the conference championship net!!

When Rillie went off at Santa Clara & the conference title belonged to the Zags, I had my boys (10 and 8 then) on the court milling around & watching the net cutting ceremony (like you could do THAT today!!). I noticed that a 3'' to 4'' piece of the net remained on the rim and the crowd was drifting away, so I hoisted my son up & "obtained a piece of Zag history!!" My son is 26 now and still has the memorabilia on his dresser. Little did we know at the time... Even had Fr. Tony bless it (LOL).
    Remember then, they had to move everybody to the lower section of the old Toso Pavilion so the TV coverage looked like a good crowd. Good luck getting a ticket today (and good luck ever again getting a piece of the net!!)

An old Gonzaga practice jersey that one of the players gave me.

Default zags items and memories

Thanks for sharing everyone, some truly remarkable stories.

GO ZAGS - let's win the WCC!!

Default Zag favoritesThanks.

Peninsula dog wrote: What a great post, Gamagin! I graduated in the 80s, but have a real fascination with the GU football program. I collect GU football programs from the 20s, 30s and 40s, one of which has a picture of Puggy Hunton on its cover, signed by . . . . Tony Canadeo. Thanks for describing those memories -- it really brings that era alive.
    --

You are welcome. fmi, how did you happen to start collecting those old programs and where did you find them. How many, etc ? Somewhere in somebody's closet are a bunch of old GU yearbooks. We beat them up as kids, too, but I think some exist. My dad was in the SATC and was a classmate of der Bingle. His brother played fb at GU. One of my bros played bb there. All of us attended GU. So there's a pile of memorabilia somewhere. but you seem to have acquired a particularly fragile and rare collection. Do you have any programs with qb Houston Stockton on them? He was to GU what the great Hugh McIlhenney (sp?) was to UW in his day. He was John's grandpa.

best regards

Default Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskazagnut View Post
    I have 2 of Jeremy Eaton's rings. The 1997 conference championship ring and the Elite 8 ring of 1999.
    I had heard a rumor that Jeremy Eaton sold his rings, but did not believe it could be true until now.

Default Jeremy Eaton's rings

<< Frazzle wrote: I had heard a rumor that Jeremy Eaton sold his rings, but did not believe it could be true until now. >>

Were his fingers still in them ?

inquiring minds . . .

My Gonzaga t-shirt.

During the run of 99' or 00' I saw some players wearing 'Cinderella My Ass' t-shirts, so I called up the bookstore and asked if I could buy a couple of them. The lady giggled and said that those weren't official t-shirts and they didn't have them to sell. Too bad. I would have liked to get one of them.

I still got two old beat up GU intramural champs shirts. I refuse to throw them away though my wife only lets me wear them around the house.

I also recently got a GU poker chip encased and to be used as a card protector. It's been working pretty good in the house game, so that may become my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by RebornZag View Post
    I just started wearing this outfit maybe a month ago, and it's been doing well. I forgot to put the grey T-shirt over the blue sweatshirt the day we lost to Santa Clara, so I really DO not forget to put that on now.
    This is what I like to hear--some dedication with the wardrobe. I do this to a fault--playing baseball all my life has probably contributed to it. But I really started running out of clothes to wear this year after the losses in December. There was a point where I thought I had to go buy some more shirts but then my cuz game me a KC shirt at the BIS so that saved the day. Then GU started winning again so I cycled back in some Loss shirts--which is okay if enough wins have occurred and time has passed since the losses. But one shirt suffered mutliple losses this year and likely will be put up on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    The most precious GU stuff I have are letters from Fr. Frank Costello and the late Dr. Fran Polek, the two greatest influences on my GU "career" and subsequent life after leaving campus.
    Reno: Father Costello was very influential in my GU career as well as the rest of my family's (there's about 6 or more grads in my family). Your statement does not suprise me.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Default Not necessarily my favorite...

...GU seat cushion purchased junior or senior year. The sales of these were planned as a fundraiser for the ROTC drill teams. When very few were sold at the basketball games, Colonel Duffy basically gave us a direct order to buy one each.

You recall that, RenoZag? If you don't, then it had to be my junior year.

I guess my faves would include an old photo album and yearbooks, and the memories of the road trip to the Pit in 2003, even though we lost to Wyoming. The stories told from the USF game refreshed that memory, as my son & I were in the middle of the Wyoming section. I knew Blake was cold that day, but 1-13?

alaskazagnut Guest

Default Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle View Post
    I had heard a rumor that Jeremy Eaton sold his rings, but did not believe it could be true until now.
    frazzle......... They surfaced at different times, and I bought them. The 1999elite 8 one is my favorite but the 1997 conference championship is nice too. There is one more Eaton ring out there somewhere, the 1998 WCC conference chamionship ring. I still would offer them back to him if he would reimburse me for what I paid. But they are only a symbol, and to him apparently, the memories are what really matter. He is right. But I never played NCAA ball, so i like owning a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudzagmom View Post
    ...But, it's not as though I do dumb things like sign up for our local sports package, which includes Fox College in order to watch ONE game on the afternoon of said game. . .
    Yeah, that'd be cwwwwwaaaaaaazzzzzzyyyyyy. (6:05pm is when I called in...)
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    ...GU seat cushion purchased junior or senior year. The sales of these were planned as a fundraiser for the ROTC drill teams. When very few were sold at the basketball games, Colonel Duffy basically gave us a direct order to buy one each.

You recall that, RenoZag? If you don't, then it had to be my junior year.

I guess my faves would include an old photo album and yearbooks, and the memories of the road trip to the Pit in 2003, even though we lost to Wyoming. The stories told from the USF game refreshed that memory, as my son & I were in the middle of the Wyoming section. I knew Blake was cold that day, but 1-13?
    TexZag: It rings a bell. . .Your pal, Quasimodo. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Default alaskazagnut

So what would rings like Eaton's be worth to a collector ? What are they made of (gold, silver?) and why did he sell them in the first place?

At first blush, it doesn't seem like they would be worth anything except to the owner. But obviously, that isn't true.

thanks

Gamagin:

I'm really interested in that era of football on the west coast -- primarily because my uncle played for USF in the '30s. (He later became a Jesuit.) When I arrived at GU in the '80s, I was well-versed about Automatic Karamatic, the Grey Ghost and others because of my uncle and dad. (By the way, I was happy to see George Karamatic's name in GU's most recent annual list of donors.) I can't begin the estimate the number of hours I spent looking at the old photos on the first floor of the Ad building. Whenever I drive by what remains of Kezar Stadium here in SF, I always think back to the era of my uncle and wonder what it must have been like to watch GU slug it out against St. Mary's, USF, and Santa Clara. Over the past few years I've been bidding on EBay for GU football programs, and I now have about 12-14 of them, all framed and hanging in my office. I have one from 1928 with pictures of Houston Stockton as a coach. Thanks again for sharing the memories!

Being a student, I have endless sweatshirts and T-shirts. My favorite memorabilia is my Pep Band shirt from last year, and all the autographs, and pictures with the players.
    " 'Damn! I made a lot of stupid – and you can quote me on this – stupid-ass plays. Man, that's gross. But at least we got the win.' " -Jeremy Pargo

Default PeninsulaDog

wrote: Gamagin: I'm really interested in that era of football on the west coast -- primarily because my uncle played for USF in the '30s. (He later became a Jesuit.) When I arrived at GU in the '80s, I was well-versed about Automatic Karamatic, the Grey Ghost and others because of my uncle and dad.
    --

Thanks. you have some real treasures there and great memories to go with them. I wonder if you ever met Fr. Art Dussault (sp?). He played at GU and was a fixture on the campus for decades.

My guess is somewhere in his or the jebbies' archives are a lot more of those programs. Maybe, since you have an in (uncle), you could borrow some and copy them on a quality color machine at Kinko's and extend your collection.

best

"Bulldogs of Gonzaga" sheet music.

Handmade quilt made of 25 panels taken from Zag t-shirts (Kennel Club, Battle in Seattle, Elite-8, Fr. Tony, etc.)

6 signed team basketballs

Piece of the Calvary broken backboard

Bryce McPhee's game road jersey (#34) which I wore while running in the NYC Marathon

Collection of old media guides, including '60-'61 guide with Frank Burgess on the cover

Signed Ronny Turiaf game jersey

Baseball signed by John Stockton, Ryne Sandberg & Mark Rypien

Ray Flaherty football card
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default Fav

My Official GU Rugby keg wars Champion T-Shirt.

I had two, but now only have one...

Go Zags...the god old days.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    I wonder if you ever met Fr. Art Dussault (sp?). He played at GU and was a fixture on the campus for decades.
    Fr. Dussault story -

My father went to GU his freshman year of college, circa 1947 or so, then transferred to UM for Pharmacy. When I went to GU my freshman year in 1988, my father ran into Fr. Dussault at a reception and Fr. Dussault recognized my Dad and called him by name. 41 years later!!!

I thought it might have been an extremely lucky guess, but in 1992, walking down the halls of the Ad building I ran into Fr. Dussault and said hello. He responded, "Well hello, Mr. Former1dog. How are you today?"..... I had not had reason to interact with Fr. Dussault since that day in 1988 and yet he had remembered my name. Whoa!

[I substituted my handle for my real name above so you guys can't find me and kick my arse.... ]

F1D and anyone else who thought highly of Fr. Dussault should swing into the Student Life office (when on campus). Many of his pieces of furniture from his old office are still being used, and we have his hard hat with his name on it as well. There is a lot of his history in that office.

GU Class of '07

Default Fr. Dussault story

former1dog - Fr. Dussault story - My father went to GU his freshman year of college, circa 1947 or so, then transferred to UM for Pharmacy. When I went to GU my freshman year in 1988, my father ran into Fr. Dussault at a reception and Fr. Dussault recognized my Dad and called him by name. 41 years later!!!
    --
    We had a love-hate relationship with the man we used to call art the fart (behind his back, of course). You see HE had this notion that HE was the only one who could okay our playing in the old Gym on Boone. WE had different ideas and sneaked into that barn day and night for years, turned on all the lights, and shot hoops into the wee hours.

UNTIL Fr. Dussault came busting in. I don't remember if he swore, but it sounded like swearing to me.

He never did catch on to the fact that whenever we'd scatter like those taco bell rats, one of us would stay back and hide. The scout would wait til everything settled down and the good Father was headed back to Crimont (I think it was). Soon, one of those locked doors would swing open again and back we'd go.

in later grade school, one of our friends got a key to the gym made and that really set him off. That might have been after fr. kophler took over from fr. dussault, who as I remember hit the stump for alumni money and was quite successful.

I wonder now, if any of his memorbilia includes any of our basketballs? He had enough of them to start a team.

In the end, as we all grew up, he became, as former1dog describes so well, a really nice fellow who always remembered your name and would always, in my case, ask after my mom or dad or a relative or two. He also followed our athletic careers. good man.

finally, i'm sure you all probably know this but the old mill pond which used to hold logs for the e.c. olsen lumber yard and mcgoldrick's before that, is named "Lake Arthur," after him.

RIP, Fr. Dussault. I'll keep the memories and you keep the balls.

great story...

GU Class of '07