Thread: Zags play SDSU

I'm glad I know the date of the first game now
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Early game in the schedule. I hope the kids have it together for this game. Looks like SDSU has some talent.

Happy this game is at home-- you know that Pope is going to be up for the game as he felt a little upset when the Zags backed off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Happy this game is at home-- you know that Pope is going to be up for the game as he felt a little upset when the Zags backed off him.
    I don't remember who it was we signed in lieu of Pope but if memory serves, he was recuperating from serious leg surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I don't remember who it was we signed in lieu of Pope but if memory serves, he was recuperating from serious leg surgery.
    As I remember it was Alberts instead of Pope and it was his second leg injury....IMO Pope in the Gonzaga system could have been a monster....Alberts contribution is now speculative at best...so it goes in the ups and downs of recruiting....hope it works out for both young men...

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    As I remember it was Alberts instead of Pope and it was his second leg injury....IMO Pope in the Gonzaga system could have been a monster....Alberts contribution is now speculative at best...so it goes in the ups and downs of recruiting....hope it works out for both young men...

Go!! Zags!!!
    Alberts? Wow, that was a major boo boo, Blah, if true. I don't see the correlation, however, between a five star prospect like Pope and a much less heralded player like Alberts. You recall the latter had a dotted injury history, too. Pope has been a disappointment down here to most folks, but he's had some great games as well. Alberts will probably never play meaningful minutes at GU and his best chance is transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Alberts? Wow, that was a major boo boo, Blah, if true. I don't see the correlation, however, between a five star prospect like Pope and a much less heralded player like Alberts. You recall the latter had a dotted injury history, too. Pope has been a disappointment down here to most folks, but he's had some great games as well. Alberts will probably never play meaningful minutes at GU and his best chance is transferring.
    I have a wee bit more faith in how well Alberts will do this coming season. I feel all he lacks is a bit of aggression/confidence. He could yet be a heckofa 3-point threat and thus make his passing more effective and draw defense out as well. Some guys just need a couple of years as a Zag to come around. I feel Alberts is in this category.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I wonder whether in this particular year that SDSU will be a better ranked team/game than Cal.

All I know is I'd really like to beat them this time. I suspect that Steven Gray would like to see it, too.

Jazz has a home game next year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I wonder whether in this particular year that SDSU will be a better ranked team/game than Cal.

All I know is I'd really like to beat them this time. I suspect that Steven Gray would like to see it, too.

Jazz has another home game next year.
    Don't forget about mighty USD.

I thought it was more Alberts instead of Dorian Pickens but I could be wrong about that

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    I thought it was more Alberts instead of Dorian Pickens but I could be wrong about that
    My recollection, as well.
    Welcome to Zagdom

Looking back....as I remember it being shared with me at the time GU backed off due to second leg injury...Pope although not committed was coming to Gonzaga....he had stated when asked about the WCC that he didn't care what conference the Zags were in....they win....the last schollie that year went to Domas but as I remember Alberts got the schollie that Pope would have gotten had GU not backed off...

Read below....

10-30-2013, 11:56 AM #91 Zippyzaggy's Avatar Zippyzaggy Zippyzaggy is offline
    Professional Zag Fan

Not sure where to add this but since it appears GU has opted for Alberts over Malik Pope and others, Pickens, Trey Kell? et all, It seemed appropriate to once and for all clear the air that Pope did NOT choose SDSU over GU. GU backed off. Some still do not believe this. Here, Pope answers a question that should end any and all speculation as to who backed off: http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Bry...cruitInterests

The Question- Malik, why didn't you make that scheduled visit to Gonzaga? Did they come in second or third to SDSU and/or Kansas? Or, did they back off? Please let us know...it's killing us, Zag fans wanted you SOOOO BAD!! In any event, wish you massive success! Just bummed out big time tho.

The Answer from Pope- "They backed off!"

AND...

The Question- You say "something happened" with you & Gonzaga....can you tell us what? Or give us a clue? Did they back off? Why? :-)

The Answer from Malik Pope- "Yes they did . Idk why ."

Thread hijack over.....back to Alberts.
    Last edited by bigblahla; 07-31-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Don't forget about mighty USD.
    I did forget. Thx.

In my defense, it seems that SMC has a history of forgetting to show up in SD, too. from time to time.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.