• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

The spinmeister

‘When you lose a game, you’re not surprised. You’re disappointed," Team USA Coach Gregg Popovich said. "I don’t understand the word ‘surprised.’ That sort of disses the French team, as if we’re supposed to beat them by 30. That’s a hell of a team.”
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

And this is why I have tired of the nba. It’s not good basketball. It’s a bunch of ball hogs which the refs protect, allowing 30-50 pt games for certain personalities.

It’s exemplified on the Olympic stage.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Popovich has been so rude to the media for such a long time that I don't much take much stock, if any, in what he has to say. He mostly just feeds the negative feelings I have for him already (This isn't intended to be preachy). I think that to be as rude as he is, he must be very arrogant and self-absorbed.

Comment

• Zagceo
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

Popovich should have retired years ago.

Agree with you JP

Comment

• 23dpg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          ‘When you lose a game, you’re not surprised. You’re disappointed," Team USA Coach Gregg Popovich said. "I don’t understand the word ‘surprised.’ That sort of disses the French team, as if we’re supposed to beat them by 30. That’s a hell of a team.”
          I don’t see the issue with this quote. Obviously someone asked if he was surprised by the result.
          I wasn’t surprised by the Baylor game, I was also disappointed.
          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
            I don’t see the issue with this quote. Obviously someone asked if he was surprised by the result.
            I wasn’t surprised by the Baylor game, I was also disappointed.
            Would you have been surprised if it was WSU instead of Baylor? I think that’s the point. The NBA is constantly advertised as the world’s best with nothing coming within miles in terms of competitiveness.

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
              Kennel Club
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
              The NBA is constantly advertised as the world’s best with nothing coming within miles in terms of competitiveness.
              France has good NBA players too. This doesn't prove that the French league is better than the NBA. Or that the Euroleague is. Or that either of them are even close. They aren't.

eta: I actually do like European basketball though.

Comment

• daskim
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2020

Not necessarily disagreeing with this thrust of this thread, but I believe there are three NBA players on the French team. And the French team plays together a good portion of each year.

The USA team was certainly not composed of the league's best players.

Still, I was surprised with the result. Two missed free throws, then four straight missed threes from closer than NBA range by the US team.

There are a lot of very, very talented unheralded international players out there.

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

I knew when St Mary's beat them in a exhibition that there was trouble brewing .....actually I think this is good for basketball.....much like the expansion of the European Ryder Cup Team is good for golf.....

Comment

• seacatfan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2014

To say the NBA is the best league in the world, so we should roll over everybody in the Olympics, ignores the fact that there are a ton of really good international players in the NBA. This includes the most recent MVP, the player who dominated the Finals, and some kid named Doncic who might be the future of the league. And as mentioned the US Olympic team is not comprised of all the best US players (look at the roster, a few of them you won't even believe made the team). The days of the Dream Team are long gone, for whatever reason winning a Gold Medal is a lot less of a draw for men's basketball players than athletes in pretty much every other sport, so we don't send anything close to our A team.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                      To say the NBA is the best league in the world, so we should roll over everybody in the Olympics, ignores the fact that there are a ton of really good international players in the NBA. This includes the most recent MVP, the player who dominated the Finals, and some kid named Doncic who might be the future of the league. And as mentioned the US Olympic team is not comprised of all the best US players (look at the roster, a few of them you won't even believe made the team). The days of the Dream Team are long gone, for whatever reason winning a Gold Medal is a lot less of a draw for men's basketball players than athletes in pretty much every other sport, so we don't send anything close to our A team.
                      Cat, agree but you would think a team led by KD, Tatum, Dame and Booker would beat a team led by Goebert and the other guy.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                        I knew when St Mary's beat them in a exhibition that there was trouble brewing .....actually I think this is good for basketball.....much like the expansion of the European Ryder Cup Team is good for golf.....
                        Funny, my thought exactly. Landale starting, too.

Comment

• seacatfan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          Cat, agree but you would think a team led by KD, Tatum, Dame and Booker would beat a team led by Goebert and the other guy.
                          True enough, still plenty of talent on the US team.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

Dame and Durant, especially, but multiple players are typically uber competitive, refuse-to-lose types. I hope this is just a fluke and not signs of something fundamentally flawed with this team.

Comment

• HenneZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                              And this is why I have tired of the nba. It’s not good basketball. It’s a bunch of ball hogs which the refs protect, allowing 30-50 pt games for certain personalities.

It’s exemplified on the Olympic stage.
                              I won't even watch the NBA anymore. Every now and again to watch Zags but the NBA game imo is all about show boating. College game 100x better.
                              America's Team!

Comment

Working...
                              X