• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Thanks to each and everyone of you

and you may not know how your kind and loving thoughts and prayers have helped me. Your support is felt each and every day. Even in my weaknesses you were my strength, and those who know understand the vulnerability of going through a traumatic experience in the hospital. My appreciation for doctors, surgeons, nurses and techs has never been higher then it is now. Our Loving God put me in the hands of the best team that I could have had.

I went into the Emergency Room Tuesday night with severe abdomen pain (unbearable really). Eventually the diagnosis was Pancreatitis caused by Gall Stones getting lodged in a duct that is a passageway for fluid coming out of the pancreas to help in the digestive process. So this pain I was feeling was created by my pancreas being infected. The first process for recovery had to be to get this infection taken care of. Unfortunately, this meant that I could not put anything inside me at all. Not food, not water, not even ice..NADA. This was perhaps the toughest part of the recovery....I lay in my hospital bed in unbearable pain and nothing to put in me....

Accept antibiotics and pain medicine. Thank God for pain medicine, right? I was stoned out of my mind, but I was able to sleep some while in that drug induced state. On the 3rd day I finally got to chew ice. What a great feeling hey? I never would have dreamed ice could taste and feel that good. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dry in my mouth for two days, and couldn't even swallow. On the 3rd day I also began to walk around the hospital halls...ever so slowly..I hated this because of the pain, but unfortunately, in this case, "pain is the pathway to recovery." ONe of my doctors told me that my ability to recovery would depend on my ability to keep up the walking daily.

While waiting for the infection to clear up, and have the surgeon go in and get the Gall Stones out of there, the stones actually dislodged themselves. We decided that the best thing to do at this time was to go in and take out the Gall Bladder. So that's what my surgeon did. The surgery was not easy because, as my doctor told me, there was so much #### all over that it was very difficult to maneuver around inside of me stomach. But in the end the surgery was very successful.

I had to spend another 18 hours before surgery without being able to put anything inside of me at all. Again. This is NOT fun at all. On the second day after surgery I was finally allowed to take my first bite of real food. It was a home made muffin with an orange flavor. It was so good. I fell in love with oatmeal, so that's a good thing. Also feel in love with mashed potatoes and gravy...Love juices now, and yes...jello is one of my favorite foods. lol

I'm a long ways from being recovered, but I am home and that is nice. I'm still pretty medicated. The best advice comes from GoZags, to take it slow and easy. And watch some football this weekend. smiling....

Again. Thank you all for everything. God bless each of you and your families. I am reminded once again, that "no man is island." The power I feel in my life is not the Power of me, but will always be the power of WE.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

All's well that ends well..

I had the same experience and as I recall, when the emergency room doctor was making his decision about what was wrong...one of the options was Cancer of the Pancreas ...so having my gall bladder out was a relief.

The good news is that in a short time you will be amazed about how good you feel (you more than likely had been sick for quite some time) and the rest of your life will be that much sweeter and especially the really important things....and of course the coming season...

Welcome home

Comment

• gu03alum
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I'm glad to hear your doing better!
      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• 3zagda
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Nov 2009

Reborn,
        So glad to hear you are doing much better and recovering. Always enjoy your posts, good to have you back! As B said above, most likely once fully recovered you should feel much better with the gall bladder and stones out of there.

Comment

• Birddog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

That's some tough duty, glad you you're on the mend.
          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
          All mimsy were the borogoves,
          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Radbooks
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2007

I'm so glad you are feeling better and that the surgery was successful! I've missed you! Take care of yourself as you recover from all of this.
            “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• Jedster
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Oct 2009

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Enjoy the football games this weekend!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Glad to hear you're doing better, reborn!

Comment

• Knotsolucky
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Nov 2008

Glad your home and feeling better Reborn...

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Keep getting better and stay healthy-- glad you are back.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                      Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                      • Feb 2007

Ugh, sounds terrible.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say...."We are super glad you didn't die".

WELCOME BACK!
                      Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Heeeee's back! Glad all went well, heal up.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• bigblahla
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Welcome back Reborn. Add some cream gravy and a little chicken fried steak and I be lovin me some mashed taters too!

Go!! Zags!!!
                          "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• former1dog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Very happy that you're on the path to recovery Reborn. God Bless.

Comment

• GoZags
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

He's baaaaaack !!!

I need to lose a couple of lbs, but you'll excuse me if I don't choose the surefire "Reborn" plan, right?

So glad you're on the road to recovery, and thanks to your son for letting us know.

Heal quickly ..... the board has missed your contributions.

OTOH, if you going down again leads to a Reid Travis commitment (similar to the Josh Perkins verbal while you were out of commission) I'm hoping you'd be able to step up and take another bruise for the team. (Just kidding with you now that we know you're all right and again, welcome back).
                              ----------------
                              *Alert*

This was Reborn's 6,000th post (6,001 was made 20 minutes later welcoming Josh Perkins to the Gonzaga family).

As this is an historic post in the annals of guboards, it has been deemed destined for the "Hall of Fame".

Please know that any other comments attached to this post will forever be enshrined about 13 forums below (in the Hall of Fame).
                              Last edited by GoZags; 08-30-2013, 12:25 PM.
                              sigpic
                              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                              ——-
                              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Working...
                              X