• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gu03alum
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Sonics Stuff

I'm going to stop putting all of my Sonics thoughts into the poorly titled "Blunder" fans thread. Maybe Birddog can forgive me even though I have a hard time forgiving the Thunder fans.

Anyway, there have been a few articles I found interesting the last few days regarding the Sonics.

This is probably my favorite one:

Balmer and Nordstrom's join Chris Hanson

In a letter to Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and King County Executive Dow Constantine, Hansen identified Ballmer, who expressed interest in investing in basketball a few years ago, and Peter and Erik Nordstrom as part of his group.

"These three gentlemen, like me, are committed to operating the arena and the NBA franchise in a way that represents and upholds the values of our community. They appreciate the role the Sonics played in this community for more than 40 years and see this project as an opportunity to bring that civic asset back to our community. They also understand the unique ability of professional basketball to positively affect urban youth," wrote Hansen
    Bring back the OCC
  • gu03alum
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Why we should all root for the Miami Heat

I would argue that how we choose to see the Heat and Thunder is a litmus test. It’s a litmus test that reveals how the sports radio obsession with villainizing twenty-first-century athletes blinds us to the swelling number of villains who inhabit the owner’s box. And in Oklahoma City, we have the kinds of sports owners whose villainy should never be forgotten.

Strip away the drama and the Heat are called “evil” because their star players exercised free agency and—agree or disagree with their decision—took control of their own careers. The Thunder are praised for doing it the “right way,” but no franchise is more caked in original sin than the team from Oklahoma City. Their owners, Clay Bennett and Aubrey McClendon, with an assist from NBA Commissioner David Stern, stole their team with the naked audacity of Frank and Jesse James from the people of Seattle.

While Bennett said all the right things about keeping the Sonics in Seattle, a team executive dinner on September 9, 2006, tells you all you need to know about the man and his motives. On that fine evening, the Sonics management, all held over from the previous ownership regime, all Pacific Northwesters, gathered in Oklahoma to meet the new boss. Bennett made sure they were sent to a top restaurant, and picked up the bill. As the Seattle execs sat down, four plates of a deep fried appetizer were put on the table. After filling their mouths with the crispy goodness, one asked the waitress what this curious dish with a nutty flavor actually was. It was lamb testicles. Bennett laughed at their discomfort and the message was clear: the Sonics could eat his balls.
    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The True Villian in this whole story

What's Howard Schultz thinking?

Schultz listens as more praise is ladled on the Thunder. He begins to suffer Bennett-envy. He's had these symptoms before.

"Life is so unfair," Schultz groans. "I should be the toast of Seattle right now, not the espresso roast. I should be there at center court, like I was with the Storm in 2004, basking in the glory of this run. Taking credit for something I had very little to do with. I'm good at that.

"This should be my time. Why did my trigger finger have to get so itchy? Why didn't I listen to some of my other owners, who begged me not to sell the team to some guy with a roving eye and an ache, like I once had, to be a hometown hero?
      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• webspinnre
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
        This image is really remarkable.
        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Howard Schultz dodges a question from Charlie Rose yesterday.

Youtube
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Birddog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

After filling their mouths with the crispy goodness, one asked the waitress what this curious dish with a nutty flavor actually was. It was lamb testicles.
            I'm here to tell ya that they're mighty tasty.

03, In your quest to find solace, you can also put a lot of the blame squarely on the shoulders of George Shinn (former owner of the Hornets). Bennett tried to buy the Hornets or at least controlling interest in them several times and Shinn turned him down even though he was essentially broke. The Hornets eventually came to be owned by the NBA before recently selling to a private investor. Shinn recently said it might have been a mistake to turn Bennett down back then. Of course Bennett would have moved the team from NO, but that could still happen down the road unless this new ownership can get things going in a more positive direction. I don't think the NBA has done particularly well in NO anytime in their tenure as either the Hornets or the Jazz, much like Charlotte as either the Hornets or the Bobcats.
            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
            All mimsy were the borogoves,
            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• gu03alum
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

NBA on TNT giving props to Slick Watts for the headband

Youtube

Also, this quote at about the 5:00 mark:

In fairness one of the great tragedies, not having a team in Seattle, they had, they were the greatest fans
              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                I'm here to tell ya that they're mighty tasty.
                I'll have to take your word on that.
                Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Birddog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Trust me they're really good. Someone your age would probably have to have Ranch Dressing to dip them in though. Me, just a good squeeze of lemon as they are very lightly battered then fried, a little like tempura.
                  Birddog

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Trust me they're really good. Someone your age would probably have to have Ranch Dressing to dip them in though. Me, just a good squeeze of lemon as they are very lightly battered then fried, a little like tempura.
                    I may have to be tricked into trying it like those executives were. I don't doubt that it probably tastes great.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Big Lo and Shawn Kemp

To feel the heartache, you must find the biggest heart. And on the first night of the NBA Finals it literally and figuratively belonged to Lorin "Big Lo" Sandretzky, who sat in the corner of a bar owned by former Seattle SuperSonics forward Shawn Kemp and stared sadly at the television.

Big Lo is something of a legend in Seattle. He calls himself "Seattle's Biggest Sports Fan," and at 417 pounds he probably is. When Seattle sports teams arrive home from long trips, Big Lo is the first person they see, standing alone by the side of the hanger. Once, when the Sonics flew back in a snowstorm, the players climbed off the plane to discover Big Lo had shoveled their cars from out of the drifts.

That was back when Sonics coach Nate McMillan bought Lo's Sonics season ticket in the third row behind the basket. It seemed to McMillan the least he could do. But that was also back when the SuperSonics existed, before they moved to Oklahoma City in 2008 and became the Thunder and before the Thunder made the Finals, which was tearing Big Lo apart.

"I'm like a lost little kid," Big Lo said. "When you're a kid you try to make sense of things. This is one of the things I can't make any sense of. It's like losing your favorite childhood toy or a friend."
                      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Birddog
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I may have to be tricked into trying it like those executives were. I don't doubt that it probably tastes great.
                        Do you like fried Calamari? It's similar, very similar in fact. Testicles, tentacles what's the diff?
                        Birddog

Comment

• gu03alum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Do you like fried Calamari? It's similar, very similar in fact. Testicles, tentacles what's the diff?
                          I've had it a few times. I think it tastes ok. It's not something I go out of way to order.
                          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Gary Payton has a message fr Seattle: It's not our team anymore, Let's move on

Whether [Gary Payton will] be in attendance at the Thursday parade in Seattle the show support for bringing an NBA team back to the city:
                            "I sure will. I get into Seattle on Wednesday and I'm going to have a good time. When I come to Seattle I always have a good time. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Like I said, it's time for us to get our team back. This is a great proposal on the desk right now for the Seattle people and the politicians in Seattle. I think we should go ahead with this, we're never going to have this opportunity again. Let's go ahead and let's lock this up, and let's get NBA and the NHL back and let's start having fun again in the Emerald City. And I think that's what we need."
                            Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

a sign at a barbershop in Seattle:

as seen in this article
                              Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                              X