• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Quiet?

Why has it become so quiet on the PN Western front?
  • OntZags
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Jan 2017

Jarron Cumberland & Shamorie Ponds are also guys that have been rumoured to be grad transfer possibilities. (& both had coaches leave this offseason)

Still tons of time and lots of different possibilities and I'm sure the staff are exploring all options. (including holding steady and seeing what Ravet/Ayayi/Foster can do)
    Last edited by OntZags; 05-11-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Shamorie under Few?????? If you thought Norvell needed a long leash.....no way.

Comment

• OntZags
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme
        20ppg, 5apg, 4rpg on 45% from the field and 35% from 3; 37 vs Georgia Tech, 37, 6assists, 3rebs vs Georgetown, 27/5/3 vs Seton Hall, 26/8/8 vs Creighton. He'd immediately be the most dynamic guard to ever play for us. The kid has East Coast swagger in spades and if our backcourt was him and Gilder next season...WOW! One can only dream.

Complete career NBA stats for the Toronto Raptors Point Guard Shamorie Ponds on ESPN. Includes points, rebounds, and assists.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...shamorie-ponds
        I mean Ponds had a better fg% last season than either Bowman or Cumberland on comparable FGA in addition to the best A/TO ratio of the 3. I swear Jazz just loves to be negative for the sake negative sometimes lol.

Any of the 3 would be awesome and as good as we could realistically hope for at this point. I think I'd personally prefer Cumberland as he is the strongest defender and a duo of him and Gilder would lock it down. We'd be a little lacking on the playmaking front but you intersperse Ravet with those two and I think it could work out. (plus some of the bigs coming can facilitate as well)

Who knows if any actually become available but you can't turn down any of the 3. It would vault GU into instant contender status.

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Shamorie under Few?????? If you thought Norvell needed a long leash.....no way.
          Heaven forbid we bring in a dynamic player that went back to back Big East 1st team as well as All-American honorable mention. Shamorie isn't a great 3 point shooter but he took 80 fewer 3 pointers than Snacks last year and got most of his points inside the arc. Shamorie's stats last season are what we would have optimistically hoped for from Snacks next season. Shamorie next year would have 1st team AA potential and would be one of the greatest ever grad transfers.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I saw every St. John’s game. Enough said

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

Reactions on this board are sometimes way out of proportion to what was initially offered. Nowhere can I find anyone saying Ponds isn't a very good player. What was said, in so many words, is that Ponds plays with even more reckless abandon than Zach. That's not a bad thing, in and of itself, but we're talking about Mark Few here. Mr. Few would be looking for a governor on Ponds motor in order to keep the Zags offense running the way he wants. I'd be surprised if he turned out to be a good fit.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Thx Mark. Spot on.

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                Reactions on this board are sometimes way out of proportion to what was initially offered. Nowhere can I find anyone saying Ponds isn't a very good player. What was said, in so many words, is that Ponds plays with even more reckless abandon than Zach. That's not a bad thing, in and of itself, but we're talking about Mark Few here. Mr. Few would be looking for a governor on Ponds motor in order to keep the Zags offense running the way he wants. I'd be surprised if he turned out to be a good fit.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Ponds is a very good player, not a great 3point shooter. However he is lightning quick and can take it to the hole. He plays wild and crazy at times, but sometimes wild and crazy are good, it makes you unpredictable. I have to say as organized as Coach Few is, I don't know how much wild and crazy he would take. I guess when Shomarie got to out of control, we could bring in Ravet. I think Ponds would be an excellent addition, because you can never have enough quickness, just like you can never have enough shooters.

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I remember (correctly?) when Coach Few brought in Alex Hernandez from a JC. "He's the type of kid that can score outside of our system."

My observation is that that still continues, to a degree.
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2009

From the little I saw of St John's last yr I tend to agree w/ Jazz on this one. Great talent but would have to change his game a bunch in a short time to play for the Zags. Probably a questionable fit imo; Zags' success is largely based on effective use of the posts, and the perimeter guys are expected to space the floor for the inside game.

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                        Ponds is a very good player, not a great 3point shooter. However he is lightning quick and can take it to the hole. He plays wild and crazy at times, but sometimes wild and crazy are good, it makes you unpredictable. I have to say as organized as Coach Few is, I don't know how much wild and crazy he would take. I guess when Shomarie got to out of control, we could bring in Ravet. I think Ponds would be an excellent addition, because you can never have enough quickness, just like you can never have enough shooters.
                        The fact that Gonzaga had no one on last year's team who could rip by a defender with 7 ticks on the shot clock and the game tied 70-70 was one of the reasons the team got sent home. The backcourt needs more athleticism. Not saying EVERY guard needs blinding speed.

It's okay to have a guy who is a 33% 3 pt. shooter so long as he is surrounded by some guys who can really shoot it. A super quick guard get into the lane, meets a wall, been then sees Kispert at the wing with a wide open, stand up 3 pointer....it's money in the bank.

Comment

Working...
                        X