PDA

View Full Version : Boring Board Exchanges

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Following college hoops, especially GU, is a favorite hobby of mind which helps me relax and forget about life's trials and tribulations for a wee bit. Sometimes it can be laugh out loud funny, which is a bonus. Alas, imho, too many threads around here of late have disintegrated off topic and into comments about the rightness or wrongness of others' comments. Yeah, it's a fine line between entertaining, thought provoking debate and sophomoric putting down of others' opinions or even their right to have opinions! I have no desire to try to define exactly what that line is and less desire to argue about it. I know it when I read it though, and it's a total buzz kill. The most wonderful time of the year is right around the corner people and I really, really wanna enjoy this site for the duration of March Madness. In the famous words of someone: "Can't we all just get along?"

Ziggy
02-19-2008, 10:08 PM
In the famous words of someone: "Can't we all just get along?"

What is Rodney King for $20,000? Good point though GZasaurus. Everyone just lay your opinion on the line and walk away, so to speak.

ZagNative
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Whoa! Guboards is too uncivil for you? I need to design a very special tour of some other boards for you, maybe starting with phognet.com (Kansas), where only the strong survive. I mean, how many times a day does the average Zag fan here mouth (but not say aloud), "Jane, you ignorant ####."

http://windingroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/aykroyd_1.gifhttp://www.lisamoscatiello.com/blogtest/uploaded_images/JanecurtainWeekendUpdate-709991.gif

The important part is they don't say it ... usually ... Even though, any given day, there are at least ten really, really dumb things said here. I say, "Give the numbskulls hell!"

No more Mr. Nice guy!

ebayzagfan
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Well I venture into this one. I'm relatively new to GU boards with only 40 some posts. So far nobody has chewed my butt up too much. But it does bother me when someone gets labeled as a "newby" and immediately gets slaughtered by one or more of the vets. Just because someone is new to the board doesn't mean they don't have the ability to make insightful contributions. Let's not judge a person's comments based on how many posts they have. Leave the "pecking order" to the birds!

ZagNative
02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
ebayzagfan, in my mind, you've established some credibility here with intelligent, well-thought-out posts. I haven't been here as long as some others, but I confess to getting really irritable when newcomers don't bother to learn any of the protocol but wade in with six-guns blazing, most often with negative posts, or with posts that ask questions that have already been beaten to death, sometimes earlier that same day.

When I join a board for the first time, I keep a fairly low profile for a while until I figure out the lay of the land. I learn to use the search feature, if they have one, as this board does, so I don't test the patience of regulars with questions that have already been asked and answered, sometimes ad nausaeum.

I understand that until folks get to know me and can trust I'm not a flamer, I probably ought to choose my words carefully. Credibility, based on at least some experience, means a lot on a message board, where all we have to go by is our posting history. the first thing I look at when I read a post is the handle of the poster and the posting history, especially if the post is challenging. I'm just not going to spend much time or attach much credibility to the post, if it's a person with whom I have no experience, especially when he/she is saying things with which I disagree.

Even on a message board, there is a certain culture and tradition. People who don't take the time to learn that culture before they start spouting off may expect to receive a less than warm welcome.

Edited to add: I have not read a number of the threads today, so this post is not in reaction to anything that was said on any other threads today. I have developed a fairly well-defined sense of threads that are likely to aggravate me, which I avoid even opening.

ebayzagfan
02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
When I join a board for the first time, I keep a fairly low profile for a while until I figure out the lay of the land...
Even on a message board, there is a certain culture and tradition. People who don't take the time to learn that culture before they start spouting off may expect to receive a less than warm welcome.

You are so right ... I agree 100% with what you are saying. That's one of the things I like about GU Boards ... for the most part, it doesn't get personal. Respect the culture ... (boy, could we take off on a political tangent with that phrase!) Thanks!

MedZag
02-19-2008, 10:43 PM
By the simple fact that this place doesn't have an avalanche of chauvinist and homophobic comments it already puts it ahead of 99.9% of the message boards that exist on the internet.

GPGUgrad
02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
As a current somewhat "NEW" member to this board, I can verify for you that, if you are civil and courteous, you will be more than welcomed with open hands.

Go Zags!!!

GP

sittingon50
02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
When are you gonna' pull your head out of your ####?

:lmao:

TexasZagFan
02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
As a current somewhat "NEW" member to this board, I can verify for you that, if you are civil and courteous, you will be more than welcomed with open hands.

Go Zags!!!

GP

And you will also receive plenty of positive rep. ;)

I don't get mad anymore, I just send negative rep. And I always identify myself, usually as TZF.

A word of advice for newbies: don't even think about sending negative rep to anyone who's in the "Rep Hall of Fame". It would be the equivalent of shooting spitwads at a battleship.

TexasZagFan
02-20-2008, 08:21 AM
By the simple fact that this place doesn't have an avalanche of chauvinist and homophobic comments it already puts it ahead of 99.9% of the message boards that exist on the internet.

When was the last time you visited the OCC? :lmao:

Rubbadub
02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
When was the last time you visited the OCC? :lmao:

I do not see too much chauvinism there but there are plenty of homophobic remarks in the OCC annals...

bartruff1
02-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I find that the great majority of the posts in here are informative and well intentioned but there are two opinions that I find annoying. The first is that Gonzaga is going to win every game and the second is that the coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing. Those opinions are so removed from any reality that they cry out for a reply but I for one will make a real effort to let them slide...