PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Concerns and Best surprises

Reborn
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Biggest concern

Turnovers. I just don't know what can be done about this problem. I think if there's a reason for a downfall this year this will be the cause.

Best Surprise

Our man to man defense.

Snagglezag
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Biggest Concern:
Yes, San Diego played us ugly and it was close, real close... but what is going to happen when we play an elite team (come March) with that kind of game plan? That 'slow ya down,' Wazzu type of gameplay scares me against the Zags.

Best Surprise:
Individual players are becoming more and more comfortable with their roles and the team is recognizing each other's strengths and weaknesses. This team is really beginning to gel quite nicely. I hope the Zags maintain such fantastic MOMENTUM and explode (in a good way) in March. Great road win and confidence booster last night fellas.

zag67
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree with both. One stat I would like is how many of those turnovers were offensive fouls. On the road, we seem to get a lot more of them against tough teams.

BobZag
02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Ugly, grinder games like the WSU or USD games only prepare GU for teams like that in March. Grier is a defensive-minded coach. Bennett learned from his father to be defensive.

GU is markedly better vs that type of team than they were two months ago. San Diego was the hottest team in the WCC, soundly defeating St. Mary's by 8 along the way. Thus far, with just 3 games remaining, GU is the only team to beat USD, and really when you think about it, the Zags have never even trailed USD, not even by a point for a single second.

Getting better.

LAZAGFAN11
02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Biggest Surprise: Josh's improvement. It has been said on this board repeatedly that it will take time for Josh to realize his potential this season. Last night, he made another baby step. I feel he's not quite there, but give it a few more games with continued work ethic and drive, and he'll be back to being a starter for the team. You could tell, he was just an inch or two from getting that tip jam last night. Instead, he missed it and was called for the offensive foul. But there was a spark of intensity last night. As Josh becomes more and more of a contributor for this team, Gonzaga = scary come March.

NorthWestZag
02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
All of the stuff stated above is true. But I will say we will go nowhere in March w/o Josh playing well. I, as all other Zag fans should, am expecting the team to go to the final four no matter what seed we are. Ya it is asking a bit much.

dim4sum
02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I think the turnover situation would improve dramatically if the team would put the ball on the floor less. Less dribbling and over-dribbling, more crisp chest-high passes. Learn from WSU.
Just now I was looking at Matt's stats--almost as many TOs as assists. I think it may be his dribble mechanics. His bounces seem extremely high, making it harder to control the dribble and easier for swift guards to move close and swipe the ball.

montanazag88
02-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Passing is a good thing. GU's offense relies on passing for a purpose. If you watch Kansas, they pass the ball better than anyone in the country...but when they overpass, they lose leads. It's happened way too often and it's been noted that they have passed through their plays. Passing is a by-product of offensive strategy. Few's signature is his play book - passing with purpose. Quality passes, yes. I agree with dim4sum in that case. (Observation: Matt will improve...dang, just a sophomore...but he has a poor record dribbling in a crowd. I recall the game when Ravio was green and Few took him aside in a big game (maybe Maui) and basically told him to stop being so timid and dribble right through those guys with confidence - changed DR overnight.) The youth of thhis group brings me back down to earth when I get frustrated with them. I love our chances this year, but next year? I hope they all stay together in '09 - visions of a scary top 10 team.

MickMick
02-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Biggest Surprise: Kuso
I would call him the most improved player over the course of this season.

Biggest Concern: Josh
I hope he is on top of his game by tournament time.

They both play the same position...a critical position in March