PDA

View Full Version : Poling news from Rivals

BBskorer
02-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Strides being made, per Allan Classen from OregonPreps.com. Westview/Sunset game report (http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=775791).
Seven-foot Andy Poling was unstoppable in the low post. One of the few shots he missed, however, was crucial. To the surprise of everyone in the gym, he missed a four-foot bank shot with his team trailing 58-60 in the last minute and the Wildcats never got another chance.

Poling finished with 19 points and is now playing his best ball since joining the Westview starting lineup four years ago. He's getting better position on offense and forcing opponents to double-team him. When that happens, he makes good passes that frequently result in open shots.I'll cut him some slack on the four-footer. Missed many of those myself.......on the links.......against no defense.

Anyways, keep up the good work Andy!

Larrylegend
02-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Great news on Poling. Looking forward to his arrival where GU will have a Big that can score in the low post.

sdzag
02-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Wow, love to hear some positive on this kid. I hope he celebrates his new found game with a steak and some bacon and some fries and some pizza and a diet coke!

Goshzagit
02-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Wow, love to hear some positive on this kid. I hope he celebrates his new found game with a steak and some bacon and some fries and some pizza and a diet coke!

:lmao:

Agreed on both points, yet a diet coke is too darn healthy and doesn't contain enough carbs and calories that Poling desperately needs! ;)

Once he adds some much needed weight and muscle, he is gonna suprise some people. As CDC mentioned, Andy was considered a consensus top-25 recruit garnering interest from several high-majors. However, his strength/weight never caught up with his 6'11" frame and subsequently, Poling suffered as a result. He appears to have turn things around this season by adding weight and using his advanced post moves and retro hook shot to dominate at the HS level. When its all said and done, I have a feeling Poling is going to have a terrific career and impact at GU. He will be a highly efficient scoring post player down the road. Almost like a taller and more skilled Sean Mallon(with better hands, of course).

ZagNative
02-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Another great find by BBSkorer!

It looks like Westview has just two games left in regular league play, this Friday playing Aloha at Westview and then at Jesuit on the 28th. I'll be including the radio link in the Friday post for our recruits' games and see if I can scrounge up Andy's full current stat line to include in the preview.

zaguarxj
02-20-2008, 09:24 AM

I hope he skips the pizza, since his "mystery illness" turned out to be gluten intolerance. ;)

PortlandbasedZag
02-20-2008, 09:57 AM
...but will Poling red-shirt next year? Esp with Josh probably coming back and Sacre being a soph, do we wait to put some weight on him, or do we play him and have a really deep front-court? I understand both arguments, but just wondering if anyone has heard anything definitive?

sittingon50
02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I think the ideal would be for him to RS (opinion only), Portland, but a whoooooooooooole lot has to shake out before that decision is made.

And ultimately, the Coaches make their recommendation to the kid but it is his choice, in the end.

dim4sum
02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
My thinking is that Poling redshirts. I'm not ready to write off Foster yet. The little I've seen of Foster may have been one shining moment in time, during a practice session, but I think the potential is there, if he wants it badly enough.
The three platoon system at the 5 seems to be working this year and maybe next year it will be Sacre, Josh and Foster who, given minutes, can put the ball in the hole with more reliability than Kuso.