• ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Why it was an ugly win

I'll take a win
    and losing an ugly game is a double depressing experience

My impression was that it was an ugly win because:

1 - we weren't passing as much as the last four games
    2 - 11 assists. How are we supposed to use our multi-talented roster properly with 11 assists per game?
    3 - back to indivudal heroes again? how often did you find yourself shouting "Pass The Ball" when Pargo, Matt, Daye, Micah, and even Gray telegraphed that they were going in to take the shot by themselves against a couple of defenders

Maybe the SD defense was so good we couldn't pass the ball like we wanted, or like we should.

It just seemed to me that our offense looked like the offense of Nov and Dec all over again, as if we forgot how powerful sharing the ball can be.

When we were hot, and our offense seemed to be coming together we had better assist totals.
  • gmo
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

Agreed on your points, and I think (as has been pointed out in other messages) a good part of why your 1, 2, and 3 happened was USD's familiarity with the Zags offense.

I'll throw out a #4 (my apologies if someone else already spoke on this - I hadn't seen it)... the officiating. At times, I thought there were a lot of unnecessary whistles and even the broadcasters on NUMEROUS occasions said "I don't agree with that call". Of course, as soon as I heard them mention Dave Libbey was one of the officials, I wasn't surprised at all. Not sure if Mr. Libbey ever had any theatre aspirations, but it would not surprise me... or maybe he was an only child. Dude loves to be the center of attention, IMO.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Our assist avg over the season is 17 p/game, in this game it was 11. One of the best ways to beat St Mary's will be with a high assist total, IMO.

Comment

• MickMick
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
        Our assist avg over the season is 17 p/game, in this game it was 11. One of the best ways to beat St Mary's will be with a high assist total, IMO.
        A lot of those "assists" were to the other team. They are called turnovers. But rather than point fingers at the Zags, I would like to heap praise on the San Diego players and coaching staff for playing good defense.
        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
        X