PDA

View Full Version : Is Josh a fouling machine or is he getting jobbed?

FuManShoes
02-19-2008, 09:27 AM
I'll admit Josh could have been called for a blocking foul on that charge last night, but honestly I think refs are being unduly hard on him. How many offensive fouls has he been called for in his limited playing time? How many times did he (and Pendo) get absolutely mugged last night without anything being called? I have to wonder if it's that Josh is a step slower or if the refs have some punitive thoughts in their heads and are out for court justice.

23dpg
02-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Josh committed, at the most, 2 fouls last night. One of which was not even called. He is getting jobbed but still has to fight through it.

ZagsGoZags
02-19-2008, 09:33 AM
I saw three or fouls called in our favor, that were mistakes.

I wish the WCC would call fouls similarly to the Big 6 Conferences. It hurts us in the NCAA that they don't.

Actually I wish the big 6 would change to the WCC style

mnzag24
02-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I thought the officiating was all around horse $hit last night. Pomare got away with murder down low but they were terrible for both teams.

MickMick
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I look for consistency for both sides. They were calling the moving screens consistent. The first half was slap happy for both sides as the refs let them play. The second half was called a little tighter. Zags adjusted to it. USD did not.

Plenty of bad calls all the way around though. The quick guards (B Johnson and J Pargo) driving inside caused quite a few fouls. Steven Gray was having a tough time setting his feet against Johnson (as any guard would) and was whistled at least 3 times for it that I noticed. Then again...Johnson didn't have a big night. Gray did a good job and the fouls were part of the tenacity.

whatazag
02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Refs were definitely keyed in on Josh. They were just waiting to call him for any contact. Go back and watch and compare the things he was getting called for to the kind of contact that was going on all over the floor between other players (especially the raping of Pendo and MB). These officials seem to think the game is about them.

MDABE80
02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
As I watched Josh last night, it became painfully obvious that that ankle makes him a bit clumbsy. He tries to do things on a bad wheels he used to do effortlessly. SO he tries to do what he used to do and he gets called. Factor that with lousy refs and you have the 4 fouls he collected last night. He's tryin hard and is a major presence around the hoop but his balance , strength, manuverability, speed, nimbleness, etc are about half of what they used to be. Sad to watch but likely explains at least part of Josh's trouble. I love the kid. What courage!

gamagin
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
but I loved that he was mentally in there. reacting, moving, refusing to quit or to stop being part of the action at either end.

RenoZag
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
He doesn't catch many breaks from the refs, that's for sure.

D Hark 2003
02-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I think its both Kuso and Josh getting jobbed. I try to be unbiased when looking at the officiating and both Kuso and Josh were getting jobbed. That call on Kuso near the end of the game when he tipped in an offensive rebound and was called for a foul was complete BS. Josh gets pushed around a lot for how few trips he makes at the line. Those bigs for USD were throwing bows all over the place that game.

Ziggy
02-19-2008, 12:10 PM
The SD XX radio announcers mentioned after the game that Josh walked over to their student section and flashed 'em the thumb and pinkie thing. Like hook'em horns, ya know what I mean? Called it," a classless thing by a classless guy", and went on to point out how he was a law breaker, yada yada yada. I wonder what prompted Josh to do that? As if I couldn't guess! Any one at the the game see the aforementioned incident?

MickMick
02-19-2008, 12:28 PM
The SD XX radio announcers mentioned after the game that Josh walked over to their student section and flashed 'em the thumb and pinkie thing. Like hook'em horns, ya know what I mean? Called it," a classless thing by a classless guy", and went on to point out how he was a law breaker, yada yada yada. I wonder what prompted Josh to do that? As if I couldn't guess! Any one at the the game see the aforementioned incident?

Didn't you hear the stucent section? They were on Josh all night. He is a young man that is probably getting tired of it. I think it will add a fire to his belly. He will be a man on a mission next season....much like Ammo was.

gamagin
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Kuso's style lends itself to drawing whistles. He's a reacher, a poker, a herky jerky, run you down or run you over, high energy sort of player. Always in motion, swinging something.

That said he is also (imo) the most improved on the team. he's even a f.t. threat where before he seemed like a double non-threat, either with the put up or put back or the f.t.

now he's THE MAN ! teams are now having to coach against him, and that takes pressure off the rest of the gang that much more.

best.

lothar98zag
02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
like this? :confused:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SEA/SF27~Hang-Loose-Posters.jpg

how is that classless?

or were they hinting that he "flipped the bird" like this:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/774/catflipthebirdwi3.jpg

Once and Future Zag
02-19-2008, 12:51 PM

They just want him to be a villain - regardless if he is.

ETA: From Encylopedia Schrodingeria (Wikipedia)

The "shaka" sign is a common greeting gesture. It is often associated with Hawaii and boarding sports such as surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding. It consists of extending the thumb and pinky finger while keeping the three middle fingers curled, and raising the hand as in salutation with the back of the hand facing the person that is being greeted; sometimes the hand is rotated back and forth to emphasize the sign...

Hawaiian locals use the shaka for various meanings, like "all right", "cool", "smooth", etc. Residents of states other than Hawaii who use the shaka may describe it as meaning "hang loose". It is also used to convey what locals in Hawai'i call the "Aloha Spirit," a gesture of friendship and understanding between the various ethnic cultures that reside within Hawai'i. It can also be used to signal a "hello", "goodbye", " 'till next time", "take care", "Alright!"

lawzag
02-19-2008, 04:16 PM
O&FZag, perhaps the shaka definition should be forwarded to the classless radio announcers who were slandering Josh for no reason........:mad:

gamagin
02-19-2008, 04:39 PM
"Mush rooms Mush Rooms" while JH was shooting f.t's one time.

can only imagine what else, but if anything has blown over it is that aspect of his comeback ordeal, imo.

Zag365
02-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Even though we all have complaints about the USD fans, broadcasters, and the way the WCC refs called the game, I thank them for giving us a great preview of what it will be like if we have to face USD in the WCC Tournament. What a great beta test.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Classless??? Wow, that announcer obviously misread the situation. You'd think that a guy, who presumably lives in San Diego, would know the 'hang loose' sign and what it meant. I think that comment is indicative of how badly USD wanted to beat the Zags.

MDABE80
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
You guys didn't the "Muuuuuushrooms....Muuuuuuuuuushrooooooooms". Hey I'd bone em if it was me. He's clean but impaired.........nothing he should be maligned for. He's an example of good things. Wait till he gets his legs back. He'll be unguardable. Those punks need Josh to put 30 on em.

GoBulldogs
02-19-2008, 06:30 PM
After observing many games it is clear to me that Josh has been taking shots on guys away from the ball, espcially when trying to post up, that the refs have not called. Perhaps the refs are paying more attention to him because of this.

BroncoZAG615
02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I can totally understand why they would razz Josh for the whole thing. I'm actually surprised I didn't hear it more this year. Maybe it's because he hasn't played all that much or big an overall huge factor.

My only complaint is the fact that USD is also a proud jesuit institution but they were constanlty chanting bull#### and mushrooms etc....If you changed the situation and one of their players was caught with drugs there would be no chance the KC would be able to chant anything without being reprimanded. Maybe it's a good thing that we have class but if there is any classless bunch it is the USD fans who I believe are called the "Shocker Pit".

oczagfan
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I was at the game last night and YES they were chanting various versions of "mushrooms" ... In addition to that, they were chanting "fire crotch" at Pendo ... Students never cease to amaze me with their crude behavior, but this student section went waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy beyond what should have been allowed. To be honest, I was repulsed and very surprised that someone with authority never attempted to make them stop. Totally classless !!!

RenoZag
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
My only complaint is the fact that USD is also a proud jesuit institution but they were constanlty chanting bull#### and mushrooms etc....If you changed the situation and one of their players was caught with drugs there would be no chance the KC would be able to chant anything without being reprimanded. Maybe it's a good thing that we have class but if there is any classless bunch it is the USD fans who I believe are called the "Shocker Pit".

Maybe the administration will put 'em on double secret probation for the rest of the semester. . .get Niedermeyer and his pals to take action. . .

Birddog
02-19-2008, 07:05 PM
My only complaint is the fact that USD is also a proud jesuit institution

Where'd this come from?

http://www.sandiego.edu/about/catholicidentity/

Birddog

applezag
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
I can remember pretty well a couple incidents that occurred when I was at GU where the KC heckled some guys with checkered pasts. One was a player who had been busted for ### and the crowd chanted "marijuana" any time he got the ball. The other one was some stuff (can't remember specifics) relating to Tommy Prince (Tayshaun's brother) of Pepperdine's sexual misconduct when he was previously at ASU.

I don't really have a big issue with USD fans saying what they do to Heytvelt (though I would never take part in something like that myself). It just comes with the territory Josh is in. The best thing he can do, ignore it and play hard.

UberZagFan
02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Uber actually was embarrassed for the USD's student section considering chanting mushrooms was the best they could come up with. USD's creative thinking department must be really impressed.

Oh and Josh was jobbed on some calls, most notably, the putback where he was called for over the back and there were some other no calls when he was in the post, but for the most part it was no different for him as it was for every player on the court, USD's players included. It wasn't just that the refs made a ton of incorrect calls, but they were all over the place--the only consistent call all night was the moving screen and that seems like is some sort of emphasis call.

applezag
02-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I agree. The officiating was just bad. It always feels worse against the team I'm rooting for, but I did see it both ways. Libby was doing this game, but he made few of the bad calls/no calls. I would also agree that it seems that Josh has gotten more than his share of bad calls this season.

LongIslandZagFan
02-20-2008, 06:56 AM
I agree. The officiating was just bad. It always feels worse against the team I'm rooting for, but I did see it both ways. Libby was doing this game, but he made few of the bad calls/no calls. I would also agree that it seems that Josh has gotten more than his share of bad calls this season.

Huh???? You say this like Libby is a good ref. Remember Libby likes to call attention to himself, so he will call a foul even when there isn't one just to get some face time on TV.