PDA

View Full Version : An Absolutely Huge Win!

former1dog
02-18-2008, 10:07 PM
It was pretty ugly, but this ain't no beauty contest.

I give the team as a whole props for gutting that one out.

[short rant]

-1 to the our coaching staff for the slow down crap at the end. C'mon!!! That hasn't worked in 4 years, run the damn offense.

[/short rant]

Overall, great win and huge for our team! We are now in the driver's seat for yet another regular season conference championship. Beat UP on the road (don't take it for granted) and hold serve on our own home court and they've got it.

Pull that off, and they get the all import #1 seed in the tourney, guaranteeing that we won't see USD on their homecourt unless we both make the WCC championship games.

kitzbuel
02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
That may well be the biggest road win this season. Tough environment; a tough, talented opponent that wouldn't quit. That puts the Zags in the position to just hold home court.

It would indeed be great if SD could somehow wrangle an invite to the tournament. They basically need to win the conf tourney at this point.

MickMick
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
The old turnover issue has reared it's ugly head again. Otherwise some positives.

Great defense until the late game at the perimeter. Zags had USD at the end of the shot clock on several occasions.

Josh seemed to show a little more fire.

Pendo was just magnificent. Replay your DVR again and check him out. He made some truly remarkable plays.

FuManShoes
02-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Gonzaga
Ugly
Torreros
Sullen

OK, that was very lame. Whatever. Zags faced a tough opponent with crap raining down on them and zebras calling goofy fouls all over the place. Congrats!

FuManShoes
02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Gonzaga
Ugly
Tenacious
Smilin'

OK, that was very lame. Whatever. Zags faced a tough opponent with crap raining down on them and zebras calling goofy fouls all over the place. Congrats!

LongIslandZagFan
02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
The old turnover issue has reared it's ugly head again.

Initially thought that myself. But many of those TOs can be attributed to some solid D by USD last night. They created the TOs rather than us being sloppy with the ball.

zag67
02-19-2008, 08:24 AM
I would like to know, how many of our turnovers are offensive fouls? We sure have been getting a lot of them lately (especially on this trip). But like people have said, it might have been ugly, but they did gut it out. Kuso played a great game and in some ways Josh got a couple of ticky/tack fouls that could have gone either way. He is starting to look like he is working harder and that is a plus.

CarolinaZagFan
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Sure it was ugly, but a W is a W and I'll take it against a very good USD team, Coach Grier has done an excellent job...(Hopefully we'll never have to find out, but if Few does leave, I'd like to see Grier come back home.)

I thought the refs were very inconsistent last night. At times, they wouldn't call a foul, then coming down the stretch they called very weak fouls against both teams, just wanted to see if ya'll agree.

Pure
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
SO how many of the SD fans are going to put up those (got to be) Lame BEAT the ZAGS T-Shirts...

former1dog
02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I doubt I'll be successful in this, but I want to attempt to nip the "Zags played ugly" thing in the bud.

USD has been playing and winning ugly for 7 straight games prior to our game last night. Every game they have played has been ugly. It is by design. That's what hard nosed defense looks like.

GoZags
02-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Agree completely F1.

It's nice to see the Zags win by running it up and down the floor and it's nice to see the Zags win in a toe to toe, duke it out style.

The bottom line -- it's nice to see the Zags win.

drnoe
02-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Last night was one of those close games where I never felt the outcome was in doubt. Yes, it was ugly, but the Zags are now 10-1 and are in control of their destiny.

dim4sum
02-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Zags
Implode
Torero
Spirits

TM27
02-19-2008, 09:14 AM
It is hard to look pretty when the other team knows your offensive sets. It was apparent that san diego knew, for the most part, what plays we were running (you could see GU players surprised to see their defenders beat them to a screen, or a spot during the flex.) Effeciency, improv, and backdoor cuts were the difference.

zagco
02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Zagco likes Downs as a long-distance bomber. He did that a couple times last night.

speed21
02-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Playing this kind of game last night is only gunna help the zags come tournament time. It will get the ready for all the different styles.

Reborn
02-19-2008, 09:27 AM
As I've said before, sometimes ugly is beautiful.:)

WOW! WOW! & A HUNDRED WOWS!!! IS HOW I FEEL....

As Former1 says, it was a huge victory. For me, the most important so far, and therefore....the sweetest.:) Ugly has never bothered me. Neither has tough, hard fought, war, battle. These were all relevant facts about the game last night. I knew it would be a WAR. I wasn't looking for a ballet last night. Nope. And are warriors never let us down...and I knew they wouldn't.
Congratulations to Few, his staff and all the players for one hell of a victory last night over a very, very tough opponent.

Pendo, as I expected, led these vallient warriors to victory. And Josh, another veteran Zag, I felt was close behind him. Josh was immense to me, as was Kuso. These 3 guys (along with Austin Daye) completely shut down the inside of our defense. Defense and rebounding, as I suspected, was the key to this victory. That said, these three guys, plus Downs, I felt led us offensively as well. I was really impressed by all four of them the whole game. Fortunately, I must add, Matt did find some offense in the second half and really came alive offensively for the Zags. That last play of the game was, in the end, (I must admit) true ballet.:) with Pargo delivering a perfect pass that would be rated a ten, and Matt making a terrific catch and finishing a truly beautiful play. This kind of finish is what the Zags have needed for a long time. IMO I haven't seen a shot as beautiful since Adam hit that winner off the board against Ok State in the BIS. Matt was also stellar at the line in the second half. As was Josh.

One more example of ugly is beautiful...When Matt missed a driving lay up and Josh muscled inside to get the rebound, and then, while falling backwards and with a defender holding his arm down, he somehow gets the shot to fall...and then nails the free throw...UGLY IS BEAUTIFUL.

kitzbuel
02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Initially thought that myself. But many of those TOs can be attributed to some solid D by USD last night. They created the TOs rather than us being sloppy with the ball.
It seemed like Few really wanted to go after their pressure at the top of the key. When the guard at the top (Pargo, Downs, Pendo, whoever) was getting trapped, especially after picking up the dribble, it seemed to me that they tried looking for cutters or someone in the middle to get the easy score rather than just looking for the safe bailout pass. That may have caused more errant passes made under pressure causing TOs, but IMO it paid off with the back cuts and inside layins.

23dpg
02-19-2008, 09:35 AM
That was the ugliest win since probably the St. Louis game a couple of years ago. No flow, poor offense, poor reffing (both sides)...really no flow at all.

On the bright side, that was the BEST defense I've ever seen Gonzaga play in the first half. Even when SD did score, many were prayers at the end of the shot clock. If GU makes a deep run in the tourney, it will be because of their improved defense.

GoZags
02-19-2008, 09:36 AM
It is hard to look pretty when the other team knows your offensive sets. It was apparent that san diego knew, for the most part, what plays we were running (you could see GU players surprised to see their defenders beat them to a screen, or a spot during the flex.) Effeciency, improv, and backdoor cuts were the difference.

I don't see Jeramy getting stripped of the ball on his patented spin move too often. They were waiting for it (more than once).

USD is a well coached team.

El Voce
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I doubt I'll be successful in this, but I want to attempt to nip the "Zags played ugly" thing in the bud.

USD has been playing and winning ugly for 7 straight games prior to our game last night. Every game they have played has been ugly. It is by design. That's what hard nosed defense looks like.

f1d, my friend -- Absolutely correct! It was a great, gutty win, exactly the type of game teams have to win to advance in the Big Dance. This team has a mental toughness that might have been missing last year, but has been evident all the time this year.

This was a statement win by the Zags, letting the rest of the conference know that the road to be #1 still goes through Spokane. We did what no other team could do this year -- beat USD on their home court.

This is a group of good athletes who play hard, play well together, share the ball, and play with confidence. As a diehard Zag fan, I am very happy to have this team representing my school.

former1dog
02-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Just another thought about the game.

Pargo had his first bad game, IMO, in quite some time.

He just wasn't 100% himself.

It was nice to see us win a big game with Pargo having a relatively bad game for him.

Not sure why Pargo had so many of his shots blocked on dribble drive penetration. USD definitely deserves some credit, but it seemed that Pargo might have been just a smidgen slower and it seemed to me he wasn't quite elevating as high. Perhaps he was little under the weather?

CDC84
02-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Bouldin and Pargo couldn't get in the lane if their life depended on it last night. USD was so well prepared to handle them....especially with Jeremy's drives toward the hoop. Some of the turnovers were also from Gonzaga trying to speed up the game....USD did a great job with their transition defense. Again...Grier knows more than any coach in the nation about how crucial transition D is when you play the Zags.

I felt that last night showed more than in any other game this season why Gonzaga just has really, really good players. Because Grier was taking out so much of what Gonzaga wanted to run, the guards and other players just had to make plays on the fly. They had to improvise. As the ESPN announcers said toward the end of the game, much of what Gonzaga had to do with the back door cuts and such...folks, it wasn't designed offense - it was just talented players making plays based on their "feel" for the game.

ZaggyStardust
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Just another thought about the game.

Pargo had his first bad game, IMO, in quite some time.

He just wasn't 100% himself.

It was nice to see us win a big game with Pargo having a relatively bad game for him.

Not sure why Pargo had so many of his shots blocked on dribble drive penetration. USD definitely deserves some credit, but it seemed that Pargo might have been just a smidgen slower and it seemed to me he wasn't quite elevating as high. Perhaps he was little under the weather?

I noticed that too - and was wondering if any lingering effects of the little discussed minor injury the other night at USF? He sure limped bad after that fall!

Reborn
02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Good point Stardust...I had forgotten about that.

gueastcoast
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I loved the zip passes, movement without the ball, backdoor cuts etc. etc. Some of the passes Austin makes are downright scary. Not many big men have that, and as a freshman?!? Wow!

CDC84
02-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Basketball too is a game of inches. On that revere layup that Matt made near the end of the game....his foot was about 1/2 inch from the baseline. It was mighty close.

zag67
02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I also agree that Matt and Jeremy did not have great games. But like many have said, most of that had to do with Grier taking away what they do best. They were ready for the spins and drives. They colapsed on them and did not give them a shot or an out. But the GU players improvised and made the win happen. This will help them as they get to the dance.

ZagNative
02-19-2008, 10:24 AM

Great post! Thanks, F1D!

Zerogame
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
The last two games Daye has put on the sweetest cross-over move at the top of the key against quality players and smoked them. The annoucer called it "SICK" instantly. That kid has unlimited skills.

jim77
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
The offense did just enough to win and the defense kept us in it. Its nice to know we don't have to score 80 to win some ball games. Last nights victory was huge...a loss would have complicated things.

Remember MR. Robinson's neighborhood? Its now Mr. Kuso's neighborhood....one had better think twice about challenging him. The guy had 6 swatts last night....he also makes would-be driving folks think twice. He is fast becoming a pretty darn good "Rim protector". When Josh gets back up to full speeed (he's getting there) it'll be tough to throw one up in the middle.

I though Pendo had a great game...he made some rediculous plays! We are rounding up nicely for the NCAA's.