PDA

View Full Version : ----GUnit of The Game--- (USD)

gozagswoohoo
02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey cool, I am actually around to start my own GUnit thread again, haha.
Quick note, I saw a couple flashes of the old intensity we loved so much in Heytvelt...this would be a GREAT time to start seeing him in his old form.

MY GUnit--- No contest! PENDO. He is on fire, and not only that, but he pulled down some HUGE boards and had 1 huge play on D where he got a block and saved it to Kuso, that was big. he is doing it on both ends. Great, great game for Pendo.

I am going to create a new energy drink, and call it "Pendo Juice".

st. al
02-18-2008, 10:05 PM
i'll take kuso for the blocks and the free throws at the end.

whatazag
02-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Have to agree, Pendo.
Kuso didn't really put up big numbers, but he has to get an honorable mention too.

kitzbuel
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Pendo it is. 50% from the field, 2-3 from 3pt land, 5 rebounds, a killer block.

Bouldin was huge, too. He and Pargo are working that backdoor cut with some killer results. He got hammered on that last one and still put the reverse in.

CarolinaZagFan
02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Man that was ugly but I'll take it. This is a tough G-Unit, but I think I'll go with Bouldin. That 3 down the stretch won it for us IMO. Also, hit the FT to clinch it. Also thought Kuso played well down the stretch and had some big rebounds and great blocks.

rawkmandale
02-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll go with Pendo, but thought many other GU players did well.....San Diego's defense was great, and they hit big shots in crunch time.

Good TEAM win.

primal23
02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Pendo Pendo with a side of Pendo!!!!

former1dog
02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Bouldin for his key plays down the stretch. The 3 pointer and the baseline cut and reverse lay up were bigtime plays.

Pendo would have gotten it from me if not for those key plays by Mattie.

Honorable mention to Heytvelt. He is really starting to come around to playing the (less athletic) hand he has been dealt this year and is gaining a lot of court savvy. I especially liked the dribble drive assist to Pendo for 3 in the 2nd half.

Birddog
02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Gotta go with the rooster, PENDO. Those two passes he made falling down were almost enough. Good to see josh play as tough as he did tonight. Raspberries to the refs, they were horrible. BTW our refs aren't just WCC refs they do MAC, WAC, Big West, PAC10 etc. Libby is universally despised. Next time you get on a chat with Gottlieb, ask him about Libby.

Birddog

ZagNative
02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Kuso was the guy who lit my fire tonight.

Bocco
02-18-2008, 10:15 PM
PENDO

you have to give recognition to the entire team, they played a tough gritty game against a determined USD team

Zag4Hire
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm gonna go cheap and take Co Players of the Game in Pendo and Kuso. Kuso with so much hustle, kid absolutely showed up tonight and played his heart out. He did a great court presence play on that 7 pass drill to get Downs the ball for three. He would usually force it but he passed it to Matty. Pendo with so many "rub a little dirt on it" plays, I got a bloody nose just for him. He was getting roughed up like crazy but just kept playing his guts out. BTW how many Gonzaga off-balance passes were conducted tonight? Heytvelt played like a monster. Keep coming back and hustling Josh. We are here for you.

Play of the Season: That back-door cut from Pargo to Bouldin for the under-over layup was high on the difficulty rating but looked smooth as butter.

Ole Roy
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
pendo

tyra
02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Going with Matt for reasons stated above. I'd give an Honorable Mention to USD's tough defense but I would get raspberryed off the board. I thought they played very gritty D tonight.

Ziggy
02-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Kuso for the block that sealed the game. Another night for the Seniors!!!

MickMick
02-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Pendo. The senior is leading by example and has really picked it up on the final stretch of conference play. He made some truly remarkable plays in this game.

Rangerzag
02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Pendo, with recognition of great efforts by Kuso and Bouldin.

Jeremy the silent unsung hero for quiet floor general effectiveness.

trzag
02-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Bouldin

lawzag
02-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I am going with PENDO!

He's really stepping up at the end of the season (as a team captain should) and leading by example...showing our young players that you ALWAYS have to give 110%!

**Likewise, our other captain, Pargo continues to lead/control the team like a champion.

D Hark 2003
02-19-2008, 08:14 AM
It was definitely Pendo... he was clutch.

I'll give a close second to the water boy from USD. He obviously wasn't getting enough water to Bill Grier who constantly had white dried spit in the corners of his mouth from yelling the whole game. Coach Grier, it is OK to get a drink to wet the whistle occasionally during the game.

Honorable mention to Kuso... That over the back foul on him near the end of the game was complete BS

Once and Future Zag
02-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Pendo.

zag67
02-19-2008, 08:16 AM
I am going co-players Kuso and Pendo. Kuso played some great D and Pendo just did all of the things that we just kind of expect him to do.

LongIslandZagFan
02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
KUSO!!!!!

He had the fire in his belly last night.

Nevtelen
02-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Bouldin for reaching down deep and gutting out a couple of baskets when we really needed them. I think playing more point has thrown him off of late, but in crunch time when we needed someone to step up, Bouldin stepped up and hit a 3 (his only of the night, I think) and then got that tough reverse and made it look like a lay-up.

Kuso and Pendo are both HMs for fantastic performances.

omahazag
02-19-2008, 08:22 AM
PENDO.

I'm guilty of not believing in Pendo and have said we are a better when he is not on the court. Well, last night Pendo did a little of EVERYTHING, really impressed me with his overall game (never impressed by his effort, it's always the same, 100%). I stand corrected. Great game Pendo.

zaguarxj
02-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Kuuuuuuuuuusssso!!! Energizerman

fedwayzag
02-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Gotta go with Pendo too

hockeyzag
02-19-2008, 08:33 AM
The Pendo is mightier

Rubbadub
02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Kuso.

6 blocks including the clincher, 5 boards, 5 points

NEC26
02-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Bouldin

77Zag
02-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Kuso -- he is playing with the most energy every minute he has on the court. Not to degrade Pendo, but last eve, my vote goes to Kuso. Pendo is bringing it at the right time. So I guess our seniors are playing as seniors should.
Matt was clutch --also.

Great team play in an ugly win, but a BIG win!

ZaggyStardust
02-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Kkkuuuusssooooo!!!!!!!!

DoggieDogpound
02-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Bouldin - with Kuso a close 2nd, and Pendo 3rd.

Chicken Ball
02-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Great game for him. Can't choose Bouldin - too many turnovers and defensive lapses, despite the clutch baskets at the end.

GU69
02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
The two seniors won this game, and it is really hard to pick between them.

GonzPeter
02-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Pendo

gamagin
02-19-2008, 09:33 AM
did it for us v. USD. So toughness is my nominee for GUnit of the game.

It was there in every player for the first time, the whole time, I can recall
this year.

Toughness isn't pretty, doesn't possess alot of finesse, doesn't even
necessarily shoot very well.

But toughness this night never let USD actually feel what it was like to take the lead. It forced them outside again and again. The fact that USD had it's own tough shooters didn't help, but our defenses didn't collapse or break down as a result.

But it was omnipresent against USD and it broke them in so many different ways, they ran out of time. Toughness took them out of their game. the one that seemed to be working early on. Or at least threatening to break the game wide open. But it never happened.

USD will contend they lost a tough game. I say they lost the game to tough guys -- the whole lot of them.

23dpg
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Team D is my GUnit for the game.

BobZag
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Josh and Kuso with the edge going to...

Kuso.

ZagManFan
02-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Only because I have to pick a single person, I say Pendo.

Honestly though, I say the team Defense. Holding the big 3 of USD to something like 4-22 shooting was amazing. Brandon had 2 of those on desperation 3's as the clock was winding down. Just amazing D last night.

RenoZag
02-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I thought KUSO was the difference maker last night.

Reborn
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
I agree with Bocco. It was definately a TEAM victory. That's the best way to describe the '08 Zags.

However, if I had to pick a GUnit from last night's game I'd stick with the "Ugly is Beautiful" theme and nominate Pargo and Josh. The reason is obvious to me. Without Jeremy the Zags lose. Period. As ugly as his game was last night (and it was) when he goes to the bench the Zags just do not score. The wheels suddenly stop turning. Few would take him out as a result of ugly plays, but would have to put him right back in because we nothing without him. And, those who nominated Matt because of the that beautiful play at the end must remember that what made that piece of art go was the best pass of the game delivered by Jeremy.

Josh, yes as ugly as he sometimes appears to play, had a great game last night, and I believe his contributions and improvement need to be noted. He had a great look last night. Calm. Confident. Assured. He thought he had that ZAG look once again.

kitzbuel
02-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Josh and Kuso with the edge going to...

Kuso.

How nice was it to see Josh actually leading in a stat line! Leading rebounder!

sittingon50
02-19-2008, 10:05 AM
My sense after the game was Pendo.

My vote, after looking at the box was Kuso. 6 blocks! 5-6 FT's.

Angelo Roncalli
02-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Kuso. Not even close.

ZigZagger
02-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Kuso!

ZigZagSoCal
02-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I've never 'publicly' nominated anyone before but if I hadn't known it, I would have thought that Kuso was another person altogether. His quick, tough, in-your-face style gave SD another threat to worry about and GU the extra edge. A pleasure to see his skills increased from last year's limited arsenal.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Pendo! He's shooting lights out.

ZagsGoZags
02-19-2008, 10:28 AM
My first impression was David P.
I hate to vote before getting AZZAG's statistics
I think those statistics would not support Reborn's notion that the offense stops without Pargo in, but I would be happy to have the stats correct me.
Where is AZZAG when we need him (or her)?

The off-balance passes, and constant defensive pressure, and HUGE points, at crucial times all point to

Pendo

S.U. Chieftain
02-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Since I would love to vote for my favorite Zag - PENDO - every game, you'd think that would be my vote this time, since he had another good game. But I was hyped to see KUSO play so hard and get so many blocked shots. My vote goes to KUSO. (Unless I can give 1/2 to each :-) )

john montana
02-19-2008, 10:38 AM
steven gray. his defense on johnson was key.

LynetteG
02-19-2008, 10:51 AM
i was extremely impressed with KUSO and his consistency! he has made a huge leap in ability since last year, WOW! last year I would grit my teeth everytime he was in, worrying about him not holding onto the ball, not catching a pass, missing a free throw. he has improved TREMENDOUSLY and is peaking at the perfect time!! Way to go KUSO!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZagMania
02-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Kuso for me, he led the defensive attack and gave our team a physical presence that won this game.

VinnyZag
02-19-2008, 11:35 AM

I'm with John, and I woulda posted last night had I not been mysteriously locked out of the board for some reason. Gray was really impressive with his 'd' on Johnson.

gamagin
02-19-2008, 11:51 AM
everybody filled a role and it was a joy to watch gray do his thing, too. good signs all around.

I want a pound of flesh outta St. Mary's and I think we'll get it.

bigblahla
02-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I liked the post earlier in this thread about toughness. As I watched the game even though it was close I didn't feel that we ever lost control of the game. The Toreros broke on the rocks of a tough Zag team.

Loved Josh, saw some old fire and a hint of athleticism coming back. C'mon legs get stronger.

Pendo & Pargo the captains were great.

My Unit though is Kuso. That last block on Pomare was a punctuation to USD that now is not their time and that the WCC title chase still goes through Spokane.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

jim77
02-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Pendo...with Kuso a close second. (the swattmaster) I'm liking Kuso's freethrow stroke also...much improved.

a13coach
02-19-2008, 01:16 PM
:agreed:

Especially early in the game. Steven really made BJ's game uncomfortable. I know others contributed to D on BJ, but it was the tone that Steven set.

azzagfan
02-19-2008, 04:20 PM
No plus/minus for last night as I wasn't able to start watching until about 5 minutes in. If anyone else took the time (and if you are as crazy as me to keep track), I'd love to hear it.

In any case, Pendo was terrific, and he gets my vote. Downs' defense on Johnson was superb. Brandon Johnson is having nightmares about a tall, skinny white kid wearing #22.

On a side note, our lack of perimeter shooting was well scouted by Grier (I wonder how he knew). They packed it in the paint and when Pargo went in there, he was met by a group. We've got to get some more threats to spread it out or every team will follow USD's lead defensively.

GonzagaGurl08
02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm going to go with Pendo. David showed us again what a good player he is in crunch time.

gozagswoohoo
02-19-2008, 04:43 PM
It'd be nice if Uber showed up so I could tally the votes sometime this week...

FrosTbear
02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
IMO the GUnit is for outstanding play the whole game...and that would be The Roster with the biggest heart. Pendo we will miss you next year

RandomZagFan
02-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I vote for Pendo

Kuso gets honorable mention.

Air Force Zag
02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Ditto the Kuso -- strong energy on D, but icy calm at the free throw line serves warning to our future opponents. Will leave them wondering who to foul at the end of a game. Lots of intangibles that having a non-stop motor does for a player. The team buys fully into the team D concept because of the hustle of its leaders, even the quiet ones.

SDzagster
02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
One of my friends went to the game and picked Bouldin, but watching on TV it seemed like Kuso to me.

sittingon50
02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I want to give an Hon. Mention to LG.

Zags got 7 Offensive boards, LG got 3; in 3 minutes playing time. Sure wish that he could get some more minutes somewhere.

UberZagFan
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Kuso

UberZagFan
02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
It'd be nice if Uber showed up so I could tally the votes sometime this week...

Happy now woohoo?

Btw, Uber was off on the mountain skiing yesterday and did not see this thread before retiring for the evening on Monday. Uber voted when he returned. Thanks for waiting.

Oh and the Foo team needs more water.

former1dog
02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Jeeeeesh, Woo Hoo gets his wife pregnant and forgets about the little people on the internet?

Where's the tally bro? :(