PDA

View Full Version : USD Prediction Thread and Poll

former1dog
02-18-2008, 11:09 AM
What are your predictions/thoughts on what will go down this evening?

ZagNative
02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Lookin' for no more Mr. Nice Guys from these two ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/2008-01-19FewSanDiegoRice.jpg

I feel like it's going to be the Zags by at least ten but I'm not ready to make the jump to 11+.

drnoe
02-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Zags by 14

former1dog
02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I predicted a win in the 6 to 10 pt range. It is apparent, to me anyway, that our guys have been particularly resilient on the road this season. Other than Johnson and Pomare, we have far superior talent at every position and the team is really starting to come together and play better.

MickMick
02-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Zags by double digits. Pargo has a healthy back this time around and coach Few has had a first hand look at Brandon Johnson. The Zags won by ten last time and will have a better game plan for this one.

AllezZags
02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
but we end up winning by 15 because of free-throw shooting

Akzag
02-18-2008, 11:59 AM
More Cowbell !!!

rennis
02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
8 points. Although I hope we keep the pedal to the floor for 40 minutes and beat them by 15+

RenoZag
02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Zags get in early foul trouble as the refs do what they usually do in the WCC. USD gets a big boost from their emotional crowd and rain threes over the top of the Zag zone. Five lead changes in the second half and the game ends with the Zags up by 3. . .in the postgame rush to judgment, somebody starts a thread about Portland being a "trap" game, one of the usual suspects hauls out the "Few and Crew" whining, and somewhere out there, a rant about making free throws in clutch time will appear. Oh, and don't forget the usual Josh & Austin under-the- microscope analysis. . .

Go Zags !!

former1dog
02-18-2008, 12:07 PM
More Cowbell !!!

:D

It used to be contrarian to include "More Cowbell", now that it is expected, you can be sure I won't be including it as a choice. ;)

Nevtelen
02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
A back and forth game in the first half as USD comes out with a purpose, but the Zags hold a slim lead through the entire 2nd half and end up winning by 8 (the margin mostly as free throws at the end widen the gap).

MDABE80
02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Both teams are much improved. Zags had em beat badly last time. Then for some reason, Few hit the brakes. Zags won by 10 but it should have been more. It should be an interesting game . How much better are the Zags? How much better is USD? Although USD has some very good players..........I doubt it'll be enough. Zags finally rounding into shape? We'll see but I'm thinking 10 or more will be the outcome. Not a blowout, not a cakewalk at all...just a comfortable margin.

Zag4Hire
02-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Don't know if this was posted but it's Bardo being interviewed by SD newspaper. If it was, sorry. Interesting to see his appreciation of not only Gonzaga but of WCC hoops. I see that in Hubert Davis as well.

On the thread note, I will take the Zags -5. Quality shots early, take the Craiggers out of the game, a late push by Johnson&Johnson Plus Pomare but I think some quality free throw shooting tonight by Gonzaga should be the difference.

Gonzaga brings out the crowd for ESPN2

UNION-TRIBUNE

February 15, 2008

Stephen Bardo has never seen a game at Jenny Craig Pavilion, but thanks to two seasons of working WCC basketball for ESPN, he knows what to expect when he arrives Monday for the USD-Gonzaga showdown.
“For a program like San Diego, it's a great coming-out party,” said Bardo, who will work the 8 p.m. ESPN2 telecast with Terry Gannon. “When you're on TV . . . some programs do not get that opportunity that often. The way they get into it is great. I love coming out west and doing these games.

“People recognize what kind of opportunity this is. The kids are excited, the players are excited . . . It's fun for everybody.”

The atmosphere at Saint Mary's two weeks ago for the Gaels-Zags game looked crazy, and Bardo is expecting the same Monday at the Slim Gym, which should be sold out any hour now (just 250 tickets remained as of yesterday). And, while ESPN's “Big Monday” is a little different this year with the switch of the late game to ESPN2 and an earlier start time, it's still far bigger than any other regular-season telecast at USD's on-campus arena. ESPN2 is available in about 96.2 million homes, nearly five times ESPNU's total of 20 million.
(It's also about 80 times the 1.2 million that receive The mtn., but that's another story.)

USD has lost 12 straight against Gonzaga since winning the 2003 WCC Tournament title game here, but as Bardo noted, the Toreros beat Saint Mary's, which beat Gonzaga. USD has won six straight entering tomorrow's game against Portland (6 p.m., Channel 4).

“I think the San Diego crew will be confident,” he said. “They'll be jacked to get them at home on national TV.”

Bardo saw USD nearly three months ago at the Anaheim Classic, but he knows this is a much different team now that it's had time to adjust to new coach Bill Grier.

“You could sense at some point it was going to click in,” Bardo said. “Bill Grier has implemented a toughness and defensive mentality. It's easier to turn a program around when you hang your hat on tough, hard-nosed defense. You see results quicker. . . . So far I like what he's done.”

Bardo, 39, is best known as the point guard on Illinois' “Flyin' Illini” team that reached the Final Four in 1989 before losing to eventual champion Michigan (and coach Steve Fisher). He has developed an appreciation for the WCC.

“I see a competitive level a lot of people around the country aren't aware of,” Bardo said. “They're fighting the stigma of a one-team league, but San Diego and Saint Mary's are doing their best to dispel that with their play.”
He added WCC schools are “always glad to see us coming . . . And I'm a Chicago guy, so in the wintertime it's always good to come out west.”

---------

I like the quote in red alot.