• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag4Hire
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

USF v Gonzaga: Postgame Nuggets

Some quotes from the SFGate article:

"I'd be very surprised if they lose another game in league," he said. "I think they can beat St. Mary's (in Spokane)." - Eddie Sutton

We want to be on attack mode all game," said Gonzaga coach Mark Few, whose team shot 37 free throws, making 28; USF was 9 of 14 from the line.

Gonzaga's 46 points in the first half was the second most points given up by the Dons this season; they gave up 62 to Oregon. With its worst loss to Gonzaga since a 23-point defeat on Feb. 12, 2004, USF has dropped seven straight to the Bulldogs.

--

Wow it sounds like Sutton is stirring the ### but I am sure he has seen enough of the Zags this year.

Few hit it absolutely on the head: more dribble penetration equals far more opportunities to win the game.

I guess I was one of the rare few who gets ESPNU and I was absolutely delighted to have Steve Psyioc on the mic but I could have done without the color analyst (She like many they throw in to do WCC games know little of the teams, players, or history). Can't they get a Santangelo, Kickert, or some former WCC big time player to drill down the WCC on color. Too much to ask apparently. I love how Psyioc always says, "The Best Coast" and says games at their times in PST instead of EST. Just a delight.
    Last edited by BobZag; 02-17-2008, 08:46 AM.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
  • 77Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

War Memorial Insights --

We were at the game - the Zags were totally in control from start to finish, just a bit sloopy at times. Few would quickly yank the player, replace with another eager and hungry player and on we went.
    The bench was calm, the pre-game relaxed, the Zags were confident and on mission.

What was the most satisfying was the fact that the Zag fans were equal to the numbers of the Don's fans. Great showing for the Zags on the road - like another home game.

It was the USF homecoming and they had a student section of no more than 50, and that may be a reach. Rumors in the local paper; Bobby Knight is coming to coach USF -- the Pete Newell connection. Follow this one, could be interesting.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• rawkmandale
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that Bobby Knight is not finished coaching, but now has placed his son in a job. He might go fishin' for about a month - then get tired of that. He would be the first coach to 1000 wins with about 5 more seasons.

I suspect he thinks he could recruit and win a decent number of games per year just about anywhere.

Comment

• sittingon50
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Yeah, you think he has problems with Big 10 & Big 12 Officials. Just wait.

I wonder if he would insist on some newer chairs to throw in War Memorial?
        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• nonzagzag
          Kennel Club
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
          Rumors in the local paper; Bobby Knight is coming to coach USF -- the Pete Newell connection. Follow this one, could be interesting.
          that would be a pretty good coaching succession: Eddie Sutton 800 wins, Bobby Knight 900 wins.

I think it would take quite a few years for him to get to 1000 at USF

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Sutton on GU's defense

“I told (GU coach) Mark (Few) at shootaround and I told him again after the game, they’re better defensively,” San Francisco interim coach Eddie Sutton said. “I watched the film when they played Loyola Marymount and they just took them out of their offense. They’re deep enough that they can sub and keep people fresh. They’re just a very nice ball club.”

Sutton has always been a defensively minded coach.

Comment

• Birddog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Sutton has always been a defensively minded coach.
              It's that "Henry Iba thing". I read once that when Eddie used to open fall practice they spent the first three weeks almost exclusively working on defense. The only offense was shooting skills during rest breaks.

Birddog
              Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
              Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
              All mimsy were the borogoves,
              And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Working...
              X