TOP PGs THIS SEASON FROM GUARD U FANS. YOUR LIST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • everybodycougsit

TOP PGs THIS SEASON FROM GUARD U FANS. YOUR LIST?

Sorry Pargo. I love your athleticism, scoring ability, assist avg. and leadership skills, but these guys are getting it done(statistically) in the toughest conferences in the nation.

1)Sean Singletary 19pts 7assists per game
    2)DJ Augustin 19pts 6 assists per game
    3)Greivas Vasquez 17pts 7assists per game
    4)Ty Lawson 14pts 6 assists per game
    5)Nick Calathes 15pts 5assists per game
  • zagsfanforlife
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

While I agree with all of those names, as all of them are terrific guards in strong conferences, I would have to add Mike Green to that list, at least before Vasquez. His team (Butler) is ranked in the top 10, and he is averaging 16 points , 6 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. He shoots almost 80 percent from the free throw line, and 40 Percent from behind the arc.

Comment

• Butler Guy
      Kennel Club
      • Apr 2007

I feel like I have been posting this alot

Mike Green

PPG: 15.5
      RPG: 6.3
      APG: 5.0
      A/TO: 1.87

Most importantly, though, is that he is the most important player on a 23-2 team. He is a Naismith and Cousy finalist.

Side Note: He just owned Vasquez in the Tournament, last year.

Comment

• everybodycougsit

I noticed Mike Green, but I thought A.J. Graves was their point. Does he run the offense or not? If not then were talking about shooting guards and thats another category? Or is every guard a point at butler?

Vasquez is a different player then he was last year.

Comment

• cggonzaga
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

No offense to Mike Green who I think is a terrific player but I'd take Vasquez in a heartbeat and twice on Sunday. That kid is special and is just getting better and better. Green may have ate him up last year but I think that would be a great matchup this year. Vasquez was just a freshman.

Comment

• Butler Guy
            Kennel Club
            • Apr 2007

It is simple really

Green is a 1/2 and Graves is a 2/1. But to the larger point, to play guard in Butler's system you have to be able to handle "point guard" responsibility and shoot off of ball screens.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Even though Pargo worked him over last year, DJ Augustin has been the most impressive to me. For one thing, his team knocked off Kansas AND UCLA this year, largely due to his total control of the game during crunch time. And when I mean control, I don't mean him necessarily having terrific numbers. His shooting was terrible against Kansas. But anyone who saw the finish of that KU/Texas game knows what I am talking about. He made all the right decisions, drained the shot clock, got to the line, and set his teammates up for high percentage shots when they were needed the most.

Comment

• Rubbadub
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by everybodycougsit View Post
                Sorry Pargo. I love your athleticism, scoring ability, assist avg. and leadership skills, but these guys are getting it done(statistically) in the toughest conferences in the nation.

1)Sean Singletary 19pts 7assists per game
                2)DJ Augustin 19pts 6 assists per game
                3)Greivas Vasquez 17pts 7assists per game
                4)Ty Lawson 14pts 6 assists per game
                5)Nick Calathes 15pts 5assists per game
                Sean Singletary getting it done? His team is 1-10 in the ACC. Singletary has exactly 6 assists a game, not 7...and that number is much lower against ACC competition.

Sean Singletary against ACC competition: 20.4 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.9 assists

Jeremy Pargo against teams with an RPI better than the average in the ACC: 18.3 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists.
                sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• everybodycougsit

Others I might take before Pargo

1)Drew Nietzel 14pts 5 assists per game
                  2)Jonny Flynn 15pts 5assists per game
                  3)Levance Fields 12pts 5 assists per game
                  4) Collison 14pts 4 assists per game
                  5)Cliff Hammonds 12pts 4assists per game
                  6)Dominic James 13pts 4 assists per game
                  7)Demarcus Nelson 15pts 3 assists per game
                  8)Jerrad? Bayless 20pts 4assists per game

Although I still think Pargo has more heart than all these guys even my original five

Comment

• everybodycougsit

Sean Singletary is the only point guard that I put on the list whose team is doing poorly, but he's definitely not a fluke.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jun 2007

you mean corey counts from LMU doesn't make anyones list?????

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Ty Lawson, then Augustin.

That said, I'd argue that Pargo would take any of the candidates one on one.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2007

While pargo would take either one on one, and while Vasquez would most likely take Mike Green one on one, unfortunately one on one is not the role of the point guard. The point guard is the distributor, sometimes scorer, and leader of the team. The point guard is the sole position whose role is to make others around him better and the team better as a whole. And while Vasquez is a very good player he has as much talent around him as Mike Green. And in my opinion Butler would beat Maryland the majority of the games. Therefore, Mike Green > Vasquez right now.

Comment

• dim4sum
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2007

What about most underrated PG

My nomination for the most underrated pg is Mitch Johnson.
                            No flash. No charisma, but his teams win, whether at O'Dea High in Seattle or at Stanford. He knows how to win, even if his stats aren't anything to drool at. That's the kind of steadiness that wins NCAA titles. Remember Blake of Maryland a few years ago. That's what I mean. And Blake is hanging in there as a seventh or eighth man in his NBA career.
                            McMillain at ASU is another former ODea guy that will develop into that mold while his coach Herb Sendak, is among the country's most underrated coaches, IMHO.

Comment

• jim77
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Those are some really good guards there. I like Vazquez also...and Green alot.

I wouldn't trade Pargo for any of them..the guy is just a match for our team. Don't forget about the point for that 24-0 team Derrick Rose...the guy is a terrific guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X