• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Fun Read on the Mock Tournament Selection

I enjoyed this story about the thought process the mock selection committee went through in attempting to do in one day what the NCAA selection committee takes five days to do. (I want a gig like this - the five-day one, not the one-day one.) I bolded the stuff I wanted to drum into my thick skull. (This morning, our RPI on KenPom is 43, down from 31 a week ago. )

Las Vegas Review-Journal
    HE "NITTY GRITTY"

RPI stands for Ratings Percentage Index, a statistical formula used to help figure out a team's strength. Its primary goal is to provide supplemental data for the committee.

There are several different RPIs, the most popular public one being Jerry Palm's. We use the NCAA's official RPI, in which the formula is comprised of a team's Division I winning percentage (25 percent), its opponents' winning percentage (50 percent) and its opponents' opponents' winning percentage (25 percent).

Myth No. 2: The field is determined by RPI. Not one team is selected because of its RPI. The information within the RPI can make or break a team, but not the actual number itself.

UNLV's RPI for our mock exercise was 30. UNR's was 81. Henderson puts emphasis on RPI. Me? I'm more about how teams played down the stretch.

That brings us to the statistical bank of numbers within the RPI the NCAA calls "The Nitty Gritty." We are given a binder that lists all 341 Division I teams with their RPI, their opponents' RPI, their average rank, their road records, how they competed in their last 12 games, and their record versus the top 100 and against teams ranked 151st and beyond.

As we discuss the merits of various teams, Henderson is hung up on RPI and I keep stressing the last 12 games. The real Chris Hill wouldn't do either. Remember what he said earlier: "It's a whole season. You have to analyze everything."

There's a debate over Louisville, Marquette and Gonzaga. Dana O'Neil of ESPN.com stumps for Louisville, saying Rick Pitino had to go without David Padgett and Juan Palacios earlier in the season.

Marlen Garcia of USA Today makes a case for Rhode Island, saying the Rams should be considered stronger than the Cardinals because they're 2-1 against the top 50 and Louisville is 4-5. O'Neil, who knows the Atlantic 10 from her days at the Philadelphia Daily News, says, "Yeah, but the two wins were against the same team (Dayton)."

Touché! Rhode Island will have to wait.
    Reminder: We ended up ranked #29 overall in the process, with a #8 Seed. Link to pdf file with brackets I posted in an earlier thread about the Mock selection process.
    • Apr 2007

Here is an interview with Joe Lunardi

Here is an interview with Joe Lunardi about the process.

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thanks, Butler Guy.

Comment

Working...
      X