PDA

View Full Version : Occam's Razor

El Voce
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Occam's Razor is a theory that, essentially, says "If all things are equal, then usually the simplest explanation is the best."

Zag fans need to apply this theory because it seems we have become a fandom of worriers who must over-analyze and obsess over just about every little thing when it comes to dissecting this year's team.

Here are some things I believe are true, all of them being the simplest explanation for the way things are:

* Josh is playing the way he is because he is still recovering from the ankle injury, the bronchitis, and the lack of stamina the injury and illness caused.

* Nothing is sadder on this board than listening to a lot of old farts and former KC'ers bemoan the lack of energy that the current students exhibit. Yes, I know the old KC'ers walked five miles uphill in the snow to make it to the game, but 42 and 33 point yawners would have sapped their energy, too.

* Gonzaga will never be a great perimiter defensive team because the coaching staff values offense and recruits offensive skill players. Also, Few's defensive strategy has always been -- and will probably continue to be -- shut down the high percentage inside game first.

* Jeremy Pargo is the best player in the WCC right now, and should be the league MVP. No one in the league -- no one! -- has had a better string of games in conference than Jeremy.

* Gonzaga has the most talent in the league, and will probably win the rest of its league games. Apologies to St. Marys and USD, we have the most talented eight man rotation in the league.

* Gonzaga players are not selfish. This a popular notion on other message boards -- and sometimes on ours. In fact, the opposite is true -- this team is always looking for the best shot, and our recent assist totals bear this out.

* There is nothing "wrong" with Matt Bouldin or Micah Downs, or anyone else. The season is amazingly long, from October through March. Every player will hit rough patches. When Micah isn't scoring, or Matt, or anyone else, they contribute on defense, rebounding, and precision passing.

* Worrying about if/when Austin Daye goes pro is wasted energy. Austin is an absolutely special talent. Enjoy him in the now, because he is simply amazing to watch. He reminds me of a young colt with that special "it" which will win the Kentucky Derby down the road.

* The Zags will never leave the WCC Conference. Simply put, the conference is good fit, and even were it not, there is nowhere else to go.

There you have it! El Voce's simple explanations for things. Feel free to discuss.

ZaggyStardust
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow - Where do I sign up?

Perfectly stated my friend! That is a great reality check!

Angelo Roncalli
02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
You've said it all, Voice. Nicely done.

GoZags
02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I've never understood how he got the nickname "The Voice of Reason".

hondo46
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
A big scoop of bread pudding to you Voce.

Rangerzag
02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks.............AGAIN!!!

former1dog
02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Here, here! :D

gamagin
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
do you recommend value or growth stocks ?

best,

Zag 77
02-12-2008, 09:22 PM
nm

zag67
02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Very well stated. Enjoy the journey. It should be a great ride. And like you said do not over analyze everything and everybody.

applezag
02-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Couldn't agree more. Nice, concise summary of well-thought out Zag truths.

I especially agree with these ones:

Defense--the priority is on offense, and you are right that they will probably never be great, but they can be good and I think are getting there. Curious question I have: when was the last time the Zags got tore up inside? As many times as it seems guys go off from three on them, I can't remember a big working them over.

Pargo--I've been critical of his play in the past, but he has shown remarkable improvement in subtle aspects of the game that make a big difference. He really has become a true floor general in the past month. It just shows how coachable he is and why the staff continues to believe in him when many of us don't (myself included at times in the past)

GU players are not selfish--I've heard that this is a great group of guys, up there with the best of the Zags in recent memory. It helps with captains like Pargo and Pendo. The frosh are also classic Zags in their approach to the game.

Bouldin and Micah--they probably aren't as great as we think they are when they are on a roll, and not as bad as when they are in a slump. But they are darn good college basketball players who can do a variety of things, not just score. The team has enough talent that they should be able to overcome dry spells by either of them.

One last * to add:

*If Bouldin, Daye, Gray, Downs, and Josh can all get going offensively (especially shooting) at once in March, sky's the limit for this team. That is a huge, unlikely, if, but not out of the question either. Actually, getting three of them going at once is probably enough--maybe not so far-fetched.

Zag79
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
kudos to my section mate, helluva post indeed. never knew we thought so much alike huh? ;)

ebayzagfan
02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Couldn't agree more. Nice, concise summary of well-thought out Zag truths.

I especially agree with these ones:

Defense--the priority is on offense, and you are right that they will probably never be great, but they can be good and I think are getting there. Curious question I have: when was the last time the Zags got tore up inside? As many times as it seems guys go off from three on them, I can't remember a big working them over.

You are right in that we rarely give up much to any one player inside. (But I do recall a certain Omar Samhan having a career night against us in Moraga last year. Sorry to bring up bad, bad memories.) Zags defense isn't bad this year; and with the offensive firepower, it doesn't have to be great for us to do some damage in March. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds!!!

RenoZag
02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
do you recommend value or growth stocks ?

best,

My broker's El Voce Hutton. . .

When E.V. Hutton talks,

People listen.

( Will anyone under 30 get that reference ? )

ebayzagfan
02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
My broker's E.V. Hutton. . .

When E.V. Hutton talks,

People listen.

And all those years I thought it was EF Hutton. No wonder I went broke ...I was listnen' to the wrong Hutton!

RenoZag
02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
And all those years I thought it was EF Hutton. No wonder I went broke ...I was listnen' to the wrong Hutton!

well played

Bocco
02-12-2008, 11:06 PM
El Voce's Razor - what's to discuss? He explained it all.

Ziggy
02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd always heard that Philosophy and English majors were only good for teaching others about philosophy and english. At least in the case of the former that proves to not be true. Well reasoned El V.

Argentum
02-13-2008, 12:08 AM
You are right in that we rarely give up much to any one player inside. (But I do recall a certain Omar Samhan having a career night against us in Moraga last year. Sorry to bring up bad, bad memories.) Zags defense isn't bad this year; and with the offensive firepower, it doesn't have to be great for us to do some damage in March. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds!!!

Not to mention Bryant this year at Santa Clara. I only got to watch the first half of the St. Mary's - Santa Clara game yesterday, but I was impressed with how well Samhan and his teammates were able to lock down Bryant and company. Talk about no easy looks. I'd love to see us display that kind of defense when the Broncos visit the Kennel again.

ZagNative
02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm sorry, but this comment tickled me:

Pargo--I've been critical of his play in the past, but he has shown remarkable improvement in subtle aspects of the game that make a big difference. He really has become a true floor general in the past month. It just shows how coachable he is and why the staff continues to believe in him when many of us don't (myself included at times in the past)
How lovely when one doesn't have to admit one's evaluation has been wrong, but rather the player in question has finally listened and has improved so drastically - in one month!

Pargo's improving all the time, but IMO, many past criticisms were simply wrong.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2008, 06:19 AM
My broker's E.V. Hutton. . .

When E.V. Hutton talks,

People listen.

Nope.

After I left the Army, I went to work for EF Hutton. I got my broker's license two months before the company pleaded guilty to 2000 felony counts of check kiting. Great career move, TZF!

lawzag
02-13-2008, 08:12 AM
EV - you continue to be the voice of logic and reason!

you stated my sentiments exactly! very well said.

a13coach
02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
All hail El Voce, THE Voice of Reason.
:allhail:

229SintoZag
02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Occam's Razor is a theory that, essentially, says "If all things are equal, then usually the simplest explanation is the best."

If this is true, can I apply Occam's Razor to the persistence of the bunny threads by a certain segment of this board?

lothar98zag
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
EV - great "simple" post!

also...

One last * to add:

*If Bouldin, Daye, Gray, Downs, and Josh can all get going offensively (especially shooting) at once in March, sky's the limit for this team. That is a huge, unlikely, if, but not out of the question either. Actually, getting three of them going at once is probably enough--maybe not so far-fetched.

:agreed:

A min of 3 & the team will be fine in March - they may lose earlier than we'd like, but it won't be because the team wasn't playing well.

but if it's 4 or 5 all clicking at once - LOOK OUT!

sonuvazag
02-13-2008, 01:18 PM
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?p=135282#post135282
http://spokesmanreview.guboards.com/showthread.php?p=135282#post135282

I had some things to say earlier regarding Pargo's improvement coming from development through mistakes. On this thread, it's preaching to the choir but I'll toot my horn nonetheless.

Shame, El Voce. You got me to rep your pandering when, in fact, you had a really great post coming and now I'm helpless to the man's wishes.

CaZagAlum
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
El Voce, that was parsimoniously perfect.:)

208Zag
02-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Gonzaga doesn't have a good perimeter defense because its not important to the coaching staff. Few will sit a player for bad offense but you'll never see him pull some one for playing bad defense. Gonzaga subscribes to the theory that "The best defense is a good offense."

Once and Future Zag
02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Gonzaga doesn't have a good perimeter defense because its not important to the coaching staff. Few will sit a player for bad offense but you'll never see him pull some one for playing bad defense. Gonzaga subscribes to the theory that "The best defense is a good offense."

That's why (according to Ken Pomeroy) we have the miserable 30th most efficient defense (adjusted for SOS)?

Terrible terrible defense. Imagine how good we'd be if we actually stressed it at all...

BobZag
02-13-2008, 05:14 PM

My main man from Nampa pulls through again. :)

Few did pull Ammo from the starting lineup due to bad defense.

lothar98zag
02-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Maybe not in the past, but I have seen Few do it several times this year.

2 that come to mind instanly -
Matt for bad D against the 3 in the SMC game
Josh for poor rebounding and rotation on D in multiple games

I know for sure there are more, but I'm not going to review tape to prove that you are more wrong that you already are.

GoZags
02-13-2008, 11:55 PM
That's why (according to Ken Pomeroy) we have the miserable 30th most efficient defense (adjusted for SOS)?

Terrible terrible defense. Imagine how good we'd be if we actually stressed it at all...

According to the official NCAA stats, Gonzaga is currently ranked 24th in the nation (out of 330+ schools) in f.g. percentage defense and 40th in the nation (out of 330+ schools) in scoring. So is GU a defensive team or an offensive team?

BTW, GU ranks 33rd in rebounding margin and 23rd in scoring margin.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings?sportCode=MBB

Edited to say after I posted this I found LIZF's post with much the same info (although the link is here if there is any interest in how any other schools are doing)

Once and Future Zag
02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
According to the official NCAA stats, Gonzaga is currently ranked 24th in the nation (out of 330+ schools) in f.g. percentage defense and 40th in the nation (out of 330+ schools) in scoring. So is GU a defensive team or an offensive team?

Yes we are - that was my point :-)

CDC84
02-14-2008, 01:28 PM

30 is not a miserable figure. It could be better, but it's not miserable. It's the best GU has enjoyed since kenpom.com has been in service. Tennessee is at 25, UConn at 32....many people point to them as good defensive teams.

If you want miserable, take a look at the 2006 sweet 16 team that graded out at 178, or last year's team at 80.

This is clearly the best defensive team across the board that Gonzaga has had since the elite 8 team. The stats back it up. But they can still get better.

The problem with this group is more offense related. 3 out of the last 4 seasons Gonzaga has ranked in the top 10 in offensive efficiency. The 2006 team was #1. This team is ranked at 29. That rating should be higher given the kinds of offensive weapons that Gonzaga has on this year's team.