PDA

View Full Version : Coach Rice on Josh!

ZaggyStardust
02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
On the coaches show tonight, someone did ask about Josh and lo and behold - an answer.... Coach Rice said his ankle is bothering him.... Said there has been swelling and pain - then he said not to panic because it has been checked out and all is a-o-k! But as a result, he is having to learn new skills and not just relying on his athleticism... Some brilliant poster made this presumption earlier - but I can't remember who it was.... F1 perhaps since he has been starting so many of the Josh threads.... Anyway, he also reiterated that Kuso did not want to start - feels more comfortable coming off the bench so that is why Rob is getting the start. He said Josh is working very hard and is making progress. The coaching staff was very pleased with his efforts over the weekend.

I must say, I feel much better just knowing this! Keep working hard, Josh... We are behind you and support you all the way!!!!

former1dog
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Some brilliant poster made this presumption earlier -

:lmao:

Zag79
02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
i believe it was me actually. jeez F1. you make enough smart posts, cant you leave the one i make alone? :lmao:

former1dog
02-12-2008, 08:46 PM

Either way, its still funny. The prospect of either one of us being labeled "brilliant" was enough to get me giggling right away. :D

Zag79
02-12-2008, 08:50 PM
me and you being labeled brilliant only reminds me of one thing. or shall i say two guys, and brilliant.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10900/brilliant.jpg

;)

ZaggyStardust
02-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Either way, its still funny. The prospect of either one of us being labeled "brilliant" was enough to get me giggling right away. :D

Tongue in cheek guys, tongue in cheek!

former1dog
02-12-2008, 08:52 PM
me and you being labeled brilliant only reminds me of one thing. or shall i say two guys, and brilliant.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10900/brilliant.jpg

;)

I'll drink to that! :D

MDABE80
02-12-2008, 08:56 PM
I's seriously let him sit for a few games if he's not needed. Not good to have swelling this late. Not having examined the foot/ankle, it's description ( I listened to this part of the show while going home) sounds like one needing ice and some rest. It'll get worse if it keeps getting traumatized.

Something else is going on...."Spirit is strong but the flesh is weak". Hope he gets some rest and comes back for a title run. Trouble is: 3 of the last 5 games are big tests.........It's the stretch run coming up. We need all those horses we have. BUT if Josh isn't ready, It is what it is and we'll sail on....we have no choice. Good thing Kuso's stamina is unparalled. He seems to rise to the occasion. Damn! this is disappointing! Arrrrrrggggggghhhh!

RenoZag
02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Congrats on Post #600, ABE. . .probably would have been double that if you weren't always defending yourself over at the Scout board. . .

MDABE80
02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
WOW! 600! I didn't even notice. But yes those non-Zag people keep me sharp. Not so much interested in the Scout people though. It's kinda like the wild west over there----> scout board.:)

Bocco
02-12-2008, 10:11 PM
for a brilliant poster I suggest you go here....
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=166153&postcount=1

LovrGIRLofAzagsFAN
02-12-2008, 10:16 PM
get well joshy! :D

MDABE80
02-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Lovr! lol.let ABe be the very first to greet you. Nice first post! :)

LovrGIRLofAzagsFAN
02-12-2008, 10:20 PM
thank you mdabe80....
i love the zags!

LovrGIRLofAzagsFAN
02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
my boyfriend lives in los angeles and is the biggest zags fan in LA and he is a zag nut and he knows everything about the zags and played against daye and played with deon thompson, and his room is decorated with zags gear. He even goes as far as showing up to his college's basketball game, LMU VS. GONZAGA and wears a ZAGS t-shirt. I even have to wait after the game with him because he has this "all-time greatest zags player" balls and has signatures of dickau, frahm, turiaf, santangelo, morrison, violette, daye, heytfelt, pargo, jeff brown,mark few, jp batista..... pretty cool. I think he loves the zags more than me. haha....

gamagin
02-12-2008, 10:51 PM
<< Something else is going on...."Spirit is strong but the flesh is weak". Hope he gets some rest and comes back for a title run. Trouble is: 3 of the last 5 games are big tests.........It's the stretch run coming up. We need all those horses we have. BUT if Josh isn't ready, It is what it is and we'll sail on....we have no choice. Good thing Kuso's stamina is unparalled. He seems to rise to the occasion. Damn! this is disappointing! Arrrrrrggggggghhhh!>>

Shades of Bill Walton, I fear. Hope not. He did look better vs. LMU so maybe he can heal on the fly.

finechina2003
02-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Coach Rice said his ankle is bothering him.... Said there has been swelling and pain - then he said not to panic because it has been checked out and all is a-o-k! But as a result, he is having to learn new skills and not just relying on his athleticism

All the theories of what's wrong with Josh can be put to rest. Many of you can also identify (in my case, I tried to come back from an acl injury) the difficulty, frustration and patience needed to come back from an injury. We as a community of Zags supporters should put to rest all criticism of Josh and move fully towards an attitude of support and encouragement during Josh's recovery period.

kitzbuel
02-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Ankle injuries can be a pain. I severely sprained one of mine in 1993 playing Rugby and still to this day have to wrap it when ever I do anything requiring mobility (soccer, bball, etc) and have to ice it and take ibuprofen afterwards. And that is after a good several months of physical therapy and strength training.

BobZag
02-13-2008, 10:45 AM
On the coaches show tonight, someone did ask about Josh and lo and behold - an answer.... Coach Rice said his ankle is bothering him.... Said there has been swelling and pain - then he said not to panic because it has been checked out and all is a-o-k! But as a result, he is having to learn new skills and not just relying on his athleticism... Some brilliant poster made this presumption earlier - but I can't remember who it was.... F1 perhaps since he has been starting so many of the Josh threads.... Anyway, he also reiterated that Kuso did not want to start - feels more comfortable coming off the bench so that is why Rob is getting the start. He said Josh is working very hard and is making progress. The coaching staff was very pleased with his efforts over the weekend.

I must say, I feel much better just knowing this! Keep working hard, Josh... We are behind you and support you all the way!!!!

This ought to be pinned to the top. No heart or effort, my arse.

CDC84
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Bardo during the ESPN broadcasts has been saying the same thing about Josh and the health of that ankle. He just doesn't have the explosiveness and athleticism that he once had....you can really see it when he goes for rebounds and is putting up shots near the rim. Not that he can't regain that athleticism, but it isn't going to happen right away........

Nevtelen
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
It's clear that Josh is giving as much as he can. I just hope that ankle cooperates - not just for the rest of this season, but for next season, too.

Zagguy
02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Having suffered through the last three months with a high ankle sprain, a broken foot and a wicked bout of bronchitis, I can tell you all from experience that the combination is debilitating - don't care if you're 20 or 50. It is the pits and very very hard to recover from. Keep the ice on, Josh - we're all pulling for you!

zaguarxj
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I forget where I saw it, but I remember seeing that Josh sprained his ankle guarding Bryant in the SCU game. Is this what we're talking about, not the foot surgery?

Ezag
02-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I like Josh but man he seems to be pretty fragile and has been since his freshman year...not a good thing if you want to be in the NBA.

dim4sum
02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Looking at things historically, Bill Walton had among the most fragile ankles in basketball. He had a long NBA career, but in only two of those years did his ankles elude injury. And in both of those "well" years he led his teams to NBA championships--once with Portland, and again with Boston and Bird.
Nowadays athletes are scouted microscopically before they can even begin to sniff the ink on an NBA contract. My feeling is that if Josh regains his quickness to the ball, which makes for boards, and a semblance of his former shot, than he still has NBA potential; that is, unless some big, agile Lithuanian with a high basketball IQ comes down the pike to ace him out.

pfallsbeav
02-13-2008, 01:42 PM
dim4sun, Bill Walton LED Boston to a title!! As i remember he was an afterthought on a team with a great bunch of starters. I think Josh has more going on than a bad ankle. IF he can block a shot and beat the crowd down the floor, why can't he block out and work a little harder on the O boards!!

HRZag
02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I believe it was Walton's foot that hurt his career, not the ankle.

And of course, there is Sam Bowie. Another foot.

VanZagar
02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Actually Walton was the Celtics 6th man and won the league award in that department. He was nowhere near the player he had been.

Robzagnut
02-13-2008, 03:07 PM
>Bill Walton LED Boston to a title!! As i remember he was an afterthought on a team with a great bunch of starters.

Not true. Walton replaced Robert Parrish in crunch time and made huge plays throughout their championship run. When I watch UCLA's Kevin Love and his outlet passes it brings back memories of Walton. He was one of the best passing big men I have ever seen.

The year that Walton got hurt Portland was on pace to have one of the greatest seasons of all time. That Portland team could have won 3 maybe 4 titles.

pfallsbeav
02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
I followed the Blazers the championship year and can still name their starters(30 years later). They were on pace the next year to have best NBA record ever, when Big Bill's vegetarian body fell apart. Big Bill had a huge falling out with the Blazers and Blazer fans. Bill was clearly as good a college center as has ever played, but his very few good years as a pro hardly qualifies him as one of 50 best of all time. The Celtics had great success without Bill and the championship ring was more of a gift for Bill than otherwise!! I hope Josh heals well, I am really pulling for him.