PDA

View Full Version : University of San Diego

former1dog
02-12-2008, 08:47 AM
This team is really getting it done right now.

Billy Grier has got that team playing hard, especially on the defensive end of the ball. I caught some of their game against USF and although USF is down this year, it was a hard fought game, much like the previous contest between these 2 teams. USD seemed to have a knack at making the timely and crucial play.

The only knock I would have against them is that their PG seems to be doing a little too much. He's a great player, but I think they depend on him too much and this could create problems when a defense manages to limit his touches and slow him down.

bartruff1
02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
This team is really getting it done right now.

Billy Grier has got that team playing hard, especially on the defensive end of the ball. I caught some of their game against USF and although USF is down this year, it was a hard fought game, much like the previous contest between these 2 teams. USD seemed to have a knack at making the timely and crucial play.

The only knock I would have against them is that their PG seems to be doing a little too much. He's a great player, but I think they depend on him too much and this could create problems when a defense manages to limit his touches and slow him down. IMO SD is the likely obstacle to a NCAA bid..

Nevtelen
02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
That is their biggest weakness - if Johnson is out or taken out of his game, they're in trouble. They beat Kentucky @ Rupp with him and lost to Bakersfield @ home without him. Quite a swing for just one player.

Nonetheless, they'll be dangerous on their own floor in the WCC tourney.

jazzdelmar
02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
usd is getting rave reviews here, as well they shld. they are even outshining sd state, which until recently was having great yr. both coaches are aces w the media (such as it is)..................yes the WCC will be great.....F1, the invite stands.....

sonuvazag
02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
usd is getting rave reviews here, as well they shld. they are even outshining sd state, which until recently was having great yr. both coaches are aces w the media (such as it is)..................yes the WCC will be great.....F1, the invite stands.....
This is an interesting point that may reveal the savvy in Grier choosing USD over anything else that may have come to him. The SD city and media seem genuinely interested, but the Bay Area and LA schools of the WCC are third or fourth page stories at best.

One of the elements in GU program's rise had to be the lack of other distractions in Spokane to become an top issue of watercooler chat and a "hot ticket" around town.

Reborn
02-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Congrats to Bill Grier and the team. They have gotten it done. San Diego has made the WCC much tougher this year which is, in the end, good for the Zags. The tougher the teams are the better the Zags will become. Tough teams make you better. I think the game in San Diego next Monday will be another great road game for the Zags. We will be extrememly challenged, just as we were at Santa Clara and San Diego. Santa Clara certainly is a very good team. They really could have beaten the Zags, and almost took it to St. Mary's last night. So that's 4 pretty darn good teams in the WCC this year, and this is helping us.

I hope to be playing San Diego in the Finals of the WCC tournament.