PDA

View Full Version : Baby Steps

former1dog
02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah, another Josh thread.

So, obviously Josh made a few strides this evening, most especially in the effort department and perhaps in the savvy department, which happens to be the point of this thread.

I think what Josh's limited physical ability may have done for him is earn him some time to learn about some of the tricks that as a physically dominant player he may have overlooked. For instance, he had 3 steals in this game all from being alert and a little tricky. Also, he got a "Go Josh" from Coach Krause after sliding in for a savvy little take of a charge.

Perhaps a little blessing in disguise if you take a long run point of view.

Hopefully, Josh is back to 100% physically soon. In the meantime, though, I think he's learning some tricks of the trade.

Nevtelen
02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Agreed. Josh really worked his butt off out there tonight. I agree that the experience might make him better in the long run - hope so anyway. The effort is clearly there and I really hope Josh's body/conditioning cooperates and he gets going down the stretch.

Ezag
02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Man how far he has fallen. I never imagined this would or could happen to someone who when last played was so physically dominating....hope to have Josh back very soon before he runs out of baby steps or a season of basketball

hockeyzag
02-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Last night was awesome. I found myself clapping for Josh on more than one occasion while sitting at home on my couch. You can see it in his face that he wants so bad to do well, and with the kind of attitude and effort he showed last night I think he can regain his previous abilities and then some.

zag67
02-12-2008, 07:18 AM
First of all way to go Josh. The hustle and hard work really paid off. Like what was said earlier he is learning how to do things that he should have learned many years ago, but as atheletic as he was, he did not. I do not think people understand how hard it is for a player to come back from a foot or leg injury. At the level they play, those are major tools in their trade. Even when you are physically back, some of those muscles are not. Also you have to relearn to trust them and not be scared that something else will happen (like reinjurying it).

Great job, and hope to see more nights like this through this and NEXT year. The hustle is there and the rest is starting to get there.

LongIslandZagFan
02-12-2008, 07:19 AM
His sweet little turnaround baseline jumper late in the game had vintage Josh written all over it. He is slowly getting back to where he was. Keep up the good work Josh.

Zag79
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Josh is playing very well for his conditioning. as BZ and i have said a few times, look at JHs stats and the compare very well to our "top players". all the while he broke his foot, dropped 15 pounds from the sickness, and is just getting back. ill take what he can give this year and know he will be back to full form for next season.

zzzjag
02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
I liked the adjustment last game Josh made from setting up early in the traditional low block to the second half when he was pinning his man a little bit higher in the lane and called for the dump down pass on the ball reversal. I don't think he looks too comfortable 'sitting' in the post up position looking for the entry from the wing. I have said before that I would like to see a line up with another big man and let Josh play his more natural position at the 4 on this team versus the traditional 5 spot.

Last week someone posted the Josh youtube highlights of the UNC game and if you noticed, not many of the highlights featured him in the traditional back to the basket post up position. Just the thoughts of a 2nd grade boys basketball coach for what they are worth.

I do feel however the rotation is seeming a little more natural and players are getting in the flow some more as the season goes on. Coach Few has a tough task of keeping 7-8 guys in the game who all could reasonably play starters minutes at 30+ per night. I sure hope Pargo sticks around to mentor the 2 new incoming Pt Guards next season. My best guess is he may 'test' the NBA waters without signing with an agent and return if tempted. The Zags can not currently afford to lose him more then any other player on the team. He truly is the most valuable (needed) player to the Zags whether he is the MVP or not.