PDA

View Full Version : Zag Hater: Terry Gannon

Zag4Hire
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
This guy has been peddling the wares of SMC all year and it was no more evident than tonight's ESPN2 broadcast. Saying that the Zags should have lost but a good tourney team will take wins how they will get it when it came to SMC. Really?! If anything, it shouldn't have been close but the Gaels got away from their gameplan. They were lucky that Santa Clara absolutely played horrendeously (back-to-back timeouts because the play wasn't working, horrible floor spacing, etc.). I think if we show up with our 'A' game and the defense we have been playing in the past couple of games (albeit versus inferior opponents), I think GU will dominate in the Kennel. Josh will get his fire back and GU should get a solid win. Ken Pom predicted a 2 point win for SMC when they played the Zags and he is predicting a GU win by 6. Very nice.

Nevtelen
02-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Nah, Gannon gives the GU players and program props often enough. I think he just had to play the foil off of Bardo who really likes the Zags to even out the broadcasts a little. I really enjoy them, actually - one of my fav ESPN teams. They give a little flavor - are humorous and knowledgeable, too.

MDABE80
02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
It's no secret we likely should have lost to SCU. I like those guys. When they're broadcasting they just go to odd places sometimes. I guess he just had to say something since both teams looked so good! Nuthin personal. We're tough;)

Birddog
02-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Saying that the Zags should have lost but a good tourney team will take wins how they will get it when it came to SMC.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, butthe way I took the statement he made was in reference to our win over SCU. Gannon is definitely NOT a Zag hater, and I agree with Nevtelen, they are one of the better broadcast teams.

Oddly enough, after belittling them, I'm now starting to enjoy our own Dynamic Duo of Heister and Ehlo. If you listen to them for entertainment value only, they are kinda funny. Just don't expect any really great play by play or color info on the tactics of the game. It's a little like having Rowan and Martin or maybe the Smothers Brothers doing the game, with apologies to both comedy teams for the reference. Ehlo played 14 years in the NBA, he's gotta know something. I now look forward to his first yuks of each broadcast.

Birddog

Once and Future Zag
02-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Ehlo's malaprops aside - I think he does have insights into the mental aspect of basketball, whereas someone like Majerus was all about the technical game.

Zagpower
02-12-2008, 06:52 AM
It was a compliment to the Zags. After stating that Santa Clara should have beat GU, the point was made that good teams find a way to win.

drnoe
02-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Ehlo's malaprops aside - I think he does have insights into the mental aspect of basketball, whereas someone like Majerus was all about the technical game.

After Micah's huge dunk, didn't Ehlo say something about Micah having nitrogen in his shoes?

CDC84
02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I think Bardo is getting better and better as an analyst. The same can't be said for Hubert Davis, who went from bad to worse.

zzzjag
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
He may have gone from bad to worse (I haven't noticed), but he has at least he has begun to correctly pronounce Gonzaga this season instead of Gun-Zahg-ah

Birddog
02-12-2008, 09:22 AM
The same can't be said for Hubert Davis, who went from bad to worse.
Wasn't he on the sidelines for Dookie V's return to broadcasting the other night? That seems like a step backward for "The Chuckler".

Birddog

BroncoZAG615
02-12-2008, 09:28 AM
After Micah's huge dunk, didn't Ehlo say something about Micah having nitrogen in his shoes?

Their may have been a Nitrogen mention. But I do recall him saying that Micah took off from Boeing Field on that dunk. :p

CDC84
02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Wasn't he on the sidelines for Dookie V's return to broadcasting the other night? That seems like a step backward for "The Chuckler".

Yeah, he was the UNC sideline reporter. He was a real objective observer.:D

Pargo the Destroyer
02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
I actually dont mind either of those guys, they did a decent job for the scu vs. smc game last night. After our SMU game a guy on the SMU message board posted a pic of a noose and the title read " hey bardo and gannon". I hammered the guy and eventually the mod over there deleted the thread, just goes to show the class of their fans. I would take Bardo and the other guy anyday over Heister and Ehlo, then again I would my 3 year old and Optimus Prime over those 2...............

Zag4Hire
02-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I think Bardo is getting better and better as an analyst. The same can't be said for Hubert Davis, who went from bad to worse.

I think Hubert has a soft spot for the Zags because I believe the WCC and specifically, Gonzaga games, is where he got is announcing start. Dude picked Gonzaga at the beginning of this year to go to the Final Four. He can announce any Zag game he wants then.

I understand the excitement around SMC and it seems that every media outlet and ESPN seems to be pumping them up but the reason I brought it up was that he appeared to be pumping up SMC quite a bit. Understandable I guess, after considering it.