PDA

View Full Version : Allison Walker

MickMick
02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
She started the season with a high ankle sprain and Othello High School started the season at 2-2. Since then, the Huskys have reeled off 15 straight games, taken over first place in the CWAC, and displaced highly touted Ellensburgh (featuring Gonzaga commit Kayla Standish) as the "team to beat" in the conference.

Allison is averaging a "double double" in points and rebounds for the season. The "cat is out of the bag" as D1 schools across the nation have taken notice. The junior is just getting better and better. A link (http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/preps/basketball/girls/story/9620141p-9531612c.html) to her latest feat of scoring 33 points and pulling down 20 rebounds at Prosser this past weekend.

PS-I have heard rumor that Allison "likes" Gonzaga. ;)

She is also one heck of a volleyball player and is on the "D1 radar" for that sport as well.

BobZag
02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks, MM. I'm 100% certain Kelly Graves & Staff are very aware of Allison. It'll be interesting to watch what transpires. I wish I could've seen her in the Warehouse.

a13coach
02-12-2008, 09:35 AM
What is the feel for Kelly and staff and how they approach recruiting? Do they tend to wait on a PSA or do they hit them early?
For example, after seeing a soph to-be during the summer, do they prefer to wait a year or two before persuing or would they through their hat in and send the allowed introductory letter and then continue to watch how that PSA develops?

BobZag
02-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think they like to "push" a recruit. I know they have passed on some real good recruits who either goofed up or wanted to go elsewhere. Recruits appreciate their space. Kelly has always struck me as a "if they want to be Zags, we'll take them; if not, that's okay" kinda guy. They definitely show interest but I don't think the staff is overly aggressive. At least, that's the impression I've gotten over the years. What will be will be.

Oldsport
02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Great post BobZag!:)

Which came first, the college basketball program or the quality recruit? Why would a recruiter have to "push" a recruit into joining their college basketball program? A quality program naturally attracts quality recruits. I have noticed that lessor quality programs have to "push" in order to try and improve their program through recruitment only. "Push" may be just another word for "desperation". It seems that Kelly has been able to balance and advance GU's program though multiple ways and make our program attractive, successful, educational and FUN for the players. In other words, "A successful program need not push a recruit." Some day I hope that all lady basketball recruits would say, "I want to be a Lady Zag!" Kelly and his coaching staff have the program going in that direction.:clap:

a13coach
02-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I ask that question because a PSA I know, after playing on a very successful AAU team for the past 2 summers, received some NCAA allowable introductory letters from several schools, namely ND, several Ivy leaguers, various west coast schools, and most of the WCC, yet nothing from GU. Even though her AAU team did participate in the team camps on campus the previous 2 years. So I was not asking about coaches/teams being pushy, it was more a question about "at what stage of the PSA's development does coach Graves and staff let said PSA know they are watching/interested?"

MickMick
02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
A link (http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/preps/reneblog/story/9623249p-9534675c.html) to a sportswriter's blog for the Tri-City Herald.

He is wrong on a couple counts. Allison will likely play a 4 in college (not a 3).
Her *great leaping ability (http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/preps/track/story/8929297p-8829529c.html)will make her legit at the position. This guy can't judge her outside shooting from just one game. He admits to not seeing her shoot one from outside of 5 feet.

Believe me when I say that she can hit from 15 feet with regularity (See Spokane Stars last season). At the 5 position, Othello High School will rarely ask her to shoot from outside of 5 feet. She dominates under the rim...why should they?

The writer is correct about the Prosser coach talking about the Zags being a good fit for her.

*See girls high jump, triple jump, and 4 X 200 relay team.

BobZag
02-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I ask that question because a PSA I know, after playing on a very successful AAU team for the past 2 summers, received some NCAA allowable introductory letters from several schools, namely ND, several Ivy leaguers, various west coast schools, and most of the WCC, yet nothing from GU. Even though her AAU team did participate in the team camps on campus the previous 2 years. So I was not asking about coaches/teams being pushy, it was more a question about "at what stage of the PSA's development does coach Graves and staff let said PSA know they are watching/interested?"

I'd say sophomore year, possibly freshman year, the PSA would receive a letter, note, form, etc. I can't say for sure, though, so I'd let someone on here who may be more familiar with it let us know. PM me who you are referring to, a13coach, if you wish to. I may have seen her at a camp.

MickMick
02-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I saw Gonzaga coach Kelley Graves in attendance at the Othello-Ephrata game. Allison didn't play at her best, but still demonstrated her best traits. Long wingspan, soft hands, great leaping ability, and a great nose for the rebound.

She missed most of her foul shots and was off on some of her putbacks, but still scored over 20 points.

BobZag
02-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I saw Gonzaga coach Kelley Graves in attendance at the Othello-Ephrata game. Allison didn't play at her best, but still demonstrated her best traits. Long wingspan, soft hands, great leaping ability, and a great nose for the rebound.

She missed most of her foul shots and was off on some of her putbacks, but still scored over 20 points.

A good coach like Kelly can see what a PSA can do, it's not about having a good game or bad game. They see things that we fans aren't trained to see. Thanks for the report, MM.

MickMick
03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Kayla Standish (Ellensburgh) vs Allison Walker (Othello) (http://www.theolympian.com/143/story/380222.html)(part 3):

Ellensburgh, Othello, and Prosser all won their first rounds games in the girls 2A state basketball tournament. The CWAC is represented by three of the eight remaining teams in the winners bracket setting up todays (3/6/08) schedule:

Quarterfinals

Prosser (18-6) vs. Pullman (22-1), 3:30 p.m.

Tumwater (21-4) vs. River Ridge (21-3), 5 p.m.

West Valley-Spokane (18-5) vs. Elma (17-7), 7 p.m.

Othello (23-3) vs. Ellensburg (21-4), 8:30 p.m.

From this link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2004263937_web2ahoops06.html):

Othello 77, Black Hills 53

Courtney Kirkwood scored 17 points and Kyle Mollotte added 16 for Othello. The fourth-ranked Huskies (23-3) didn't look like first-timers at the 2A tournament. They raced to a 28-11 lead after one quarter and led by as many as 30. Allison Walker added 15 points for Othello. Mollotte and Walker each had 14 rebounds. The Wolves (16-8) from Olympia shot only 22 percent.

Ellensburg 49, Lynden 41

Gonzaga-bound center Kayla Standish scored 16 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and blocked six shots — one short of a tournament record — for Ellensburg. The No. 7 Bulldogs (21-4) also got 14 points from Deaira Gordon, who was 4 of 6 from three-point range. The Lions (16-10) were led by Brandi Benner's 11 points.

Oldsport
03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow! Both teams seemed on a roll in this tournament. I thought this might be the game not to be missed. I don't have any details on game at this time. Any surprises here?:boxing:

MickMick
03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Wow! Both teams seemed on a roll in this tournament. I thought this might be the game not to be missed. I don't have any details on game at this time. Any surprises here?:boxing:

I would not be surprised if Ellensburg faces Prosser in the championship game (both second day winners). It would be the fourth meeting between the two teams this season. We will see how it plays out, but I believe that Othello lost to the best team in the tournament. Kayla Standish is going to be a fine player for the Zags. Too bad for Othello that they had to face Ellensburg (and Zag commit Standish) so early.

Oldsport
03-08-2008, 10:18 AM
The 2A Championship game is all that's left for Ellensburg and Kayla Standish...vs. River Ridge (23-3), 9 PM, at the Sundome, Yakima.

If we recall, Courtney Vandersloot was the 2007, 4A, M.V.P. The Lady Zags have a good chance that Kayla may join them with that same type of credential. What a fine ending to a wonderful high school career in basketball and continued great recruiting on behalf of the GU coaching staff.:clap:

The very best of luck to the Ellensburg Lady Bulldogs and of course GU's future standout Kayla Standish.:000tens:

Lady Zag fans are all....:)'s!!!

young julez
03-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Wouldn't that be sweet, Heather took the award in 2006
I see a pattern developing:)

MickMick
03-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Ellensburg loses by 1 point:

For the CWAC:

Ellensburg 2nd
Prosser 3rd
Othello 7th

Not bad for one conference

MickMick
03-15-2008, 08:45 AM
A nice story about the Ellensbugh/Othello game in the second round of the Washington State 2A girls tournament (http://www.yakimaherald.com/stories/2103)

The reason why Othello scored 17 points in the first half? The Othello coach inexplicably sat two of the "top 3" (Courtney and Christine Kirkwood) (http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/articles/2008/02/25/sports/sports04.txt)for much of the first half...to the dismay of Othello fans.

MickMick
03-27-2008, 08:16 AM
A final link (http://www.kndo.com/Global/story.asp?S=8075233)on Allison:

CLASS 2A

Player of the year - Kayla Standish, sr., Ellensburg.

First team - Kayla Standish, sr., Ellensburg; Sophie Russell, sr., River Ridge; Courtney VanBrocklin, sr., Mount Baker; Allison Walker, jr., Othello; Brittany Janz, Anacortes.

Honorable mention - Tamara Jones, fr., Prosser; Brandi Thomas, Elma; Lindsey Newman, jr., South Whidbey; Morgan Schwegler, Tumwater; Ashley Andrews, Tumwater.

First team All-State as a junior. Zags really, really need to pursue Allison in her senior season next year. Look for her to play for the Spokane Stars this summer.

BobZag
03-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I look forward to watching her this summer!

MickMick
04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Well BobZag......nice "You Tube" sequence here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK6mtnSId14). Offensive rebound/putback followed up by a defensive rebound on the other end, then back for the perimeter shot....followed up by yet another rebound on the defensive end.

In that 53 second clip she gets every rebound and scores every point. She plays at a high level like this all game long :)

BobZag
04-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Nice corner shot. I'm just across the valley from WVHS. The Eagles were my school's arch-rival, so I hope Othello whupped 'em. :)

Thanks, MM. She's got game, for sure.