PDA

View Full Version : What I hope to see from Bouldin/Gray tonight

CDC84
02-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Matt Bouldin his last 6 games:

5-24 3PT = 21%

Steven Gray his last 5 games:

7-21 3PT = 33%

Both guards, especially Matt, are in shooting slumps. And other than his brilliant passing, Bouldin's whole game has been in a funk in recent games.

I am hoping that both of these guys can get back on track tonight from three point territory. I would really try to get them some good, clean looks so that they can nail some shots to get their confidence going.

Gonzaga really needs their accuracy and production as we head toward the stretch run in conference play.

Reborn
02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
These stats definately show the shooting slumps they've been in. Imagine how much better we'd be doing if they were a little more consistent. 3 pt shooting could really be a strength of this team, and honestly I really don't know why we aren't shooting better. We had 9 three's last game which is good, but what if we had had 12. We'd be right up there with Duke. Of all the styles of play that I see this year, I'd like the Zags to play more like Duke and Tennessee. Austin for sure is a dead eye,and so is Pendo. Micah could be, but he too fluctuates too much. I really am hoping for more consistent 3 pt shooting. The Zags have the firepower to get 12 three's a game. It should be a goal.

Once and Future Zag
02-11-2008, 09:10 AM
My take on this is that right now we're primarily shooting "opportunity" threes, rather than running plays to set up threes... or at least that's how I see it.

Give that Matt's shot isn't terribly quick (Steven's appears to be a little quicker to me) those opportunity shots are a little more rushed and/or contested.

If we run more effective screens or drive-and-dish plays to open up Matt/Micah/Steven/Big Red for the 3 - we'll see those percentages come shooting up.

rennis
02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
My take on this is that right now we're primarily shooting "opportunity" threes, rather than running plays to set up threes... or at least that's how I see it.

Give that Matt's shot isn't terribly quick (Steven's appears to be a little quicker to me) those opportunity shots are a little more rushed and/or contested.

If we run more effective screens or drive-and-dish plays to open up Matt/Micah/Steven/Big Red for the 3 - we'll see those percentages come shooting up.

I agree. that's one thing I can't figure out about this year's team...where are all the perimeter screens? Why isn't Bouldin coming off of curls to shoot threes? I just don't see the same thing in our offense that we used to see for our guards. In fact the only set plays I see for Bouldin are usually him posting-up a smaller defender in the paint, while the post players sets it up top...and then usually Kuso or Pendo or Heytvelt throw a bad pass and it gets stolen....

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Agreed. But for the record, we only hit 8 triples against the Waves. If we hit 9, I would have gotten a free hamburger from Wendy's, along with the rest of the KC. Rats!!

SteelCityZag
02-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Whatever happened to the pick-and-pop that was working so well at the end of last season?

former1dog
02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Whatever happened to the pick-and-pop that was working so well at the end of last season?

Derek Raivio is what happened to that play. Since he was such a threat to take and make the shot coming off the pick and being an excellent ballhandler as well, he and any other viable 3 point shooter made that play lethal.

Pargo, being not in the same stratoshpere as Derek in terms of 3 point accurracy, is less suited to success with that play.

Once and Future Zag
02-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Not just DRAV, Sean Mallon is missed from last year's team as I always thought he was a solid at passing the ball back out of the paint to the perimeter.

For the most part, once the ball's in the paint for this year's team, it stays there.

gamagin
02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
(1) if your open, you shoot
(2) if you hesitate, review rule one

former1dog
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Not just DRAV, Sean Mallon is missed from last year's team as I always thought he was a solid at passing the ball back out of the paint to the perimeter.

There is definitely something to be said for experience and court vision on the post.

A big man that is a good passer is a huge asset to any team.

FuManShoes
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Derek Raivio is what happened to that play. Since he was such a threat to take and make the shot coming off the pick and being an excellent ballhandler as well, he and any other viable 3 point shooter made that play lethal.

Pargo, being not in the same stratoshpere as Derek in terms of 3 point accurracy, is less suited to success with that play.

Bouldin/Gray and Pendo should be running this play. Yes, it hinges on having both guys able to bury threes, and all of these guys can.

former1dog
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Bouldin/Gray and Pendo should be running this play. Yes, it hinges on having both guys able to bury threes, and all of these guys can.

Agreed. Although Raivio was uniquely qualified as he was excellent at hitting his jumper of his own dribble.