PDA

View Full Version : Fox Writer Picks Pargo as WCC POY

Angelo Roncalli
03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6516034

ZaggyStardust
03-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Hubert Davis picked Pargo as well on College Gamenight last night. He was picking his POY's for all conferences.

Kiddwell
03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I like his picking Pargo as POY. Jeremy is so much fun to watch. (However, DRav has had an exemplar year too and deserves the real [co]-POY.)

My pick for best freshman is Bouldin. C'mon, somebody's going to take Samhan over Matt to build a team around??

:]

bettingman
03-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Hubert Davis picked Pargo as well on College Gamenight last night. He was picking his POY's for all conferences.

:confused:

Personally, I think Pargo's great. If I had my pick of any Zag to start my team with, I would choose him. But picking Pargo as POY just shows a writer's ignorance of our conference.

sonuvazag
03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Derek gets it and deserves it, but I would have voted Pargo #2

Nevtelen
03-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Besdies the upper/underclassman thing, it's a numbers thing - Drav's #s are more impressive. Pargo definitely deserves to be 1st team, though, and is clearly the leader of this squad.

lothar98zag
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I think the writer is one year early w/ his Pargo for WCC POY pick...

TexasZagFan
03-01-2007, 01:44 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6516034

They must have based their selection on the first 19:45 of each half...:roll:

SamwiseTheZag
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
I think that the writer is spot-on in his decision, and that tells me that he actually has seen games in the WCC this season.

While his numbers aren't as flashy, he is by far the MVP of our team this season IMO. He has come up big in all of our big wins, he has remained much more consistent throughout games all season, in comparison to Derek's stretches where he disappears for a few minutes.

He's the best player on the best team in the conference. POY in my book.

former1dog
03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
They must have based their selection on the first 19:45 of each half...:roll:

Ah, that's cold...

UberZagFan
03-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Ah, that's cold...
But funny.

guniverse
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
pargo is the most important to this team. raivio beefed up the scoring numbers at the end of thr game with clutch free throw shooting. how many times was he barley in double figures when the other team had to foul and he made the free throws to cap the victory. the problem is that he did little to run the offense like pargo did, pargo reset the tempo when it was going towards the opposition, and raivio scored a good deal of his points against the weaker teams in the conference. hitting a half court shot to go into overtime is not clutch, slashing to the lane and picking apart north carolina when no one else, especially raivio, was contributing. raivio can shoot the three and stops teams from getting back late in the game, but he is constantly forgotten during the game. he tried to take the game over early in the season and made some terrible descisions when driving the basketball to the lane. he got blocked and traveled a whole lot. if you want someone who can seal games at the free thow line, d-rav is the player of the year in the country, but if you want someone to give you the opportunity to win and get to the point were raivio can get to the line, i need pargo.

sonuvazag
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
hitting a half court shot to go into overtime is not clutch

Nor is free throw shooting or any of the other things you rip on Raivio for... who is the two guard and required to let Pargo control the tempo and run the ball up the court as a point.

That half court shot was one of the most level-headed end of the half plays I have ever seen. And then he stripped Kellogg at the end of regulation as he attempted a game winning drive.

You don't have to tear Raivio down to make your case for Pargo.

tobizag
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
i agree sonuvazag, we can all opine about whether pargo or raivio deserved the award, but there is no need for bashing on raivio. both of them are equally deserving of recognition in some form or another, and both of them combine to build a solid core for our team.

RebornZag
03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
that Raivio got first team All NCAA District (regionals). It's about 7 times as big as WCC first team. So if this is true and it is, Raivio should be first team WCC all by himself which I think he should have been. I think they voted when we were tied with SCU. Dennison is good but I don't even think he's the best player on his team (Daugherty).

mendiant
03-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Derek Raivio is one of the most under-rated players (among fans) in all of college basketball.

Derek deserved this honor and all of the others he received.

Pargo's time will come, for all the flash there is still some major learnin' to be done.

He will be another great guard from Guard U. But now, PLEASE give Derek his due.