PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts about our next 2 games

Reborn
02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I think the Zags are feeling pretty good about the last road trip. I saw a lot of positives, and I think the team chemistry is better. The offense, which was a problem for most of the year, is really beginning to gel. The defense continues to be good most of the time. I see that we still feel we need to double down low against their low post players, and I just wish we didn't feel that need. I say we begin to focus more on shutting down 3 pt shooters, the way Duke is doing it. I am not that impressed with the low post players in our conference, and I think we can hold our own against them.

I see a lot of positive energy in the team this week-end. More smiles, and more fun. We really need to get our confidence back, and I think we will.

Biggest questions? What does Few do with Josh and Downs? I think these my biggest question marks. I expect to see Downs, especially, begin to get less minutes and Gray more. I also expect to see Daye get more minutes and Pendograft less.

AS I said earlier in the week, I think Few could make a decision to play Ira or even LG more, when he gives Downs less minutes. So I am looking to get this question answered too.

The Zags are beginning to run more and more, and that is the best way to go I think. We need to keep doing it, and begin to average close to 80 pts a game. That's what the great teams are doing, imo.

drnoe
02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I believe we're going to see an up-tempo weekend. Maybe a few lineup variations and some added PT for a few players. It should be fun to watch, despite the probable blowouts which will more than likely occur.

gonza
02-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Reborn, you know I love ya, but I'm having a tough week.
Please send bottle of unbridled enthusiam and pair of rose colored glasses to my PM address !! (overnight air, please !) :)

BobZag
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Ideal games for the Zags to work on their games, and for various players to start rolling. Neither should be closer than 25-30 points, imo.

theothegreat21
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree with everything you said Reborn, except that I think that this would be the ideal weekend to get Downs and Josh much more playing time.

LMU and Pepperdine are subpar teams in any conference, and I think this will allow Downs and Josh to get some easier looks and shots off, which if they are making these shots will do wonders for their confidence. I think that for Josh to really turn the corner he just needs to have one dominant game, and if there are any teams that he can put together back to back great performances against, its these two teams. For Micah, hes a shooter, and all he needs to do is hit a couple of shots in a row and the confidence and ability to light it up should be able to return.

For this team to reach its ultimate potential, we need these two playing at a high level, and if this happens then this team can really think about making a long run in March.

Reborn
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I understand your point very well, Theothegreat. I almost went the way you did too. I certainly can understand your thinking about Josh and Micah. I think the way Few is thinking is that he's looking for Josh to hustle (rebound), post up low (and not shoot as many three's from outside), and just play really tough in the sense that Hansbrough plays tough. He may even be looking to see if Josh even looks tough because honestly, I haven't seen that look of intensity and toughness that used to be Josh's trademark. I'd be looking for it if I were a coach and If I didn't see it, I think I'd have to sit him. As for Michah I think Few could go either way with Micah. It's really hard to know. However, as we have talked about, Few doesn't seem to have a lot of patience for guys are begin to hesitate, make turnovers, and lose their confidence in shooting (PMAC is a good example for us to look at). I think this weekend is HUGE for Micah. I also think he looks different. I do. I don't see the old fire that he once had, and especially earlier this year. He appears extremely passive, and disinterested. I NEED to see FIRE in his eyes. I DO. Just as I DO in Heytvelt's. These guys are just too damn good to be playing the way they have (without passion).

theothegreat21
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I think that the intensity and fire that you describe is directly tied to each player's confidence. As it was menitioned in Meehan's Blog, Josh wants to prove to his teammates and coaches that he can contribute. I interpret this quote to mean that there is feeling not only among him but amongst the team that he is dissapointing and letting people down with his subpar play. The issue is that some people respond to this feeling by upping their intensity, and some people go into a little bit of a shell. Hopefully both Josh and Micah will go out there this weekend with the attitude that they need to play their ass off and bring fire and intensity, which I believe will bring not only confidence to these two, but to the whole team

Reborn
02-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree with you again. Great points. I too think the team may be getting a little bit fed upwith his play too. That's been a concern I've had.

zag67
02-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Like has been said, if they can get a couple of easy shots, then the confidence may go with it. But even if the shot is not there in the beginning, they need to play hard defense, make few turnovers, be aggressve and crash the boards. Doing that may then turn them on to the shots.

JAGzag
02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
If so, I think we have issues. Unfortunately, I'm not in the camp of "we had a great weekend" with a loss at SMC. Sorry. This team has too much talent to be where they are at this point in the year. That means there is more than just increased playing time, or getting "your grove back." For some sad reason, this team is just not where it needs to be and it has to do with chemistry. I hate to say it, God knows I really do, but how different are we than last years UW team with all that talent and less focus??

theothegreat21
02-07-2008, 05:44 PM
If so, I think we have issues. Unfortunately, I'm not in the camp of "we had a great weekend" with a loss at SMC. Sorry. This team has too much talent to be where they are at this point in the year. That means there is more than just increased playing time, or getting "your grove back." For some sad reason, this team is just not where it needs to be and it has to do with chemistry. I hate to say it, God knows I really do, but how different are we than last years UW team with all that talent and less focus??

We are in 1st place in our conference and will be playing in another NCAA Tournament

RenoZag
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
No mercy. . .kick some tail, take out some frustration, knock the snot outta those mugs.

Go Zags.

DoggieDogpound
02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I think that the intensity and fire that you describe is directly tied to each player's confidence. As it was menitioned in Meehan's Blog, Josh wants to prove to his teammates and coaches that he can contribute. I interpret this quote to mean that there is feeling not only among him but amongst the team that he is dissapointing and letting people down with his subpar play. The issue is that some people respond to this feeling by upping their intensity, and some people go into a little bit of a shell. Hopefully both Josh and Micah will go out there this weekend with the attitude that they need to play their ass off and bring fire and intensity, which I believe will bring not only confidence to these two, but to the whole team

I totally agree with 21. Micah just needs to get his shooting touch back to regain his confidence - hopefully it will come this weekend. I hope Josh can get his health and conditioning back. The team chemistry seems good to me. With Daye and Gray now in the game at the end, I see the guys on the bench (Josh, Micah, Pendo, etc) arms locked and cheering the guys on.

spudzag
02-07-2008, 08:56 PM
It seriously doubt that Micah will be abandonded the way PMAC was abandon. The coaches simply have to develop players and help them work through their problems. Abandond players that are in a funk for a few games is a pretty poor practice or recruiting tool for that matter. They need to develop the talent. My guess is that's just what is going on.

Josh is in a bit of a different situtation given that he is working on his second chance with the team. While his situation is more troubling I doubt the staff is ready to give up on him and neither should we.

Let's see how the next three games go. I bet the chad will take a different tone by then. ;)