PDA

View Full Version : Your assessment of conference play

Reborn
02-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Ok! We're halfway through conference play and have seen all the teams. What are your opinions of the WCC, our chances of winning the conference, what we need to do to win, or just any random thoughts you'd care to share about conference play.

I think the WCC is good this year, and I think the Zags, St. Mary's and San Diego are better then they were last year. I think it's a 3 way race, just as it was last year, but San Diego instead of Santa Clara (Congrats to Grier).

I am anxious to see how San Diego does the rest of the way. I think they are very good. I like their team better than St. Mary's. I think them beating St. Mary's was no fluke. I look for a real tough game for us at San Diego.

It definately helps the Zags to have 4 of 7 games at home the rest of the way. San Diego, as I've said, will be the toughest game for us the rest of the way. It will be a tougher game then St. Mary's at K2.

I think the Zags go undefeated the rest of the way in conference and end up alone in first. I think San Diego and St. Mary's will tie for second. I'm not sure what the tie breaker system will be. But it will be important because one of the two will get a buy for the first game in the conference tournament. If we win the conference we will end up playing Santa Clara in the semi's which I really like. We will play the winner of San Diego and St. Mary's in the finals. I'm picking San Diego.

I think that St. Mary's victory over the Zags on Monday has brought negative Karma on them, and it will come back to haunt them in the tournament against San Diego.

I think Pargo, Daye, Gray & Kuso have established themselves as our leaders and have played great the first half of conference play. It's ok. It really is. It leaves us plenty of room to improve over the second half of the season. I feel we are not even close to where we will be when It comes to the conference tournament. As I said in another post....This is the time of year for Mark Few and his staff. In all previous years I have really seen the Zags begin to come together in the last half of conference play, and the tournament....The best IS yet to come.

former1dog
02-07-2008, 11:23 AM
At the end of the season, Gonzaga is going to owe a huge debt of gratitude to Billy Grier. The USD win over St. Mary's is going to win us the regular season conference title as that is going to be one of 2 conferences losses for St. Mary's this season and God willing, we'll only end up with the 1 loss on our conference mark, thus eeking out the regular season conference crown over St. Mary's by 1 win.

ZagNative
02-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't know quite what to think of this kinder, gentler F1D we're seeing these days.... :confused:

FWIW, Bing just got some positive rep from me for his comment, as I shared the same roll-my-eyes reaction to the running the table thread. We seem on this board to lurch 180 degrees from one extreme to the other this season, from "We're the greatest!" to "We suck and so does our coaching staff, players, and recruits." Both extremes seem "idiotic" to me.

I loved this from Reborn's post and would love to have him expand on the thought:

I think that St. Mary's victory over the Zags on Monday has brought negative Karma on them, and it will come back to haunt them in the tournament against San Diego.

former1dog
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't know quite what to think of this kinder, gentler F1D we're seeing these days.... :confused:

Don't be fooled ZN, I'm still a rotten SOB, but it is Lent. ;)

CDC84
02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
It's pretty simple the rest of the way:

Pepperdine
LMU
at USF
at San Diego
at Portland
St. Mary's
Santa Clara

Win those 7 games, and Gonzaga has another regular season WCC title. They don't have to count on anyone losing to a team other than themselves.

Once and Future Zag
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
It's pretty simple the rest of the way:

Pepperdine
LMU
at USF
at San Diego
at Portland
St. Mary's
Santa Clara

Win those 7 games, and Gonzaga has another regular season WCC title. They don't have to count on anyone losing to a team other than themselves.

Double up and full-post quote for pure truth.

All of these are winnable games.

former1dog
02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Honestly, I'm concerned most with at San Diego.... followed by (in my mind) a tie with at USF ('cuz they played us tough at K2) and St. Mary's on our court.

Ideally, we finish first and USD finishes 2 or 3 in conference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but scenario would pretty much guarantee we wouldn't have to play USD again until the WCC Championships, which is on their home court BTW. :(

MickMick
02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
The tough road trip is over. At USD will be tough, but winnable. I would like to see Zags get #1 seed for the tournament because the #2 team will likely play USD on their home floor. Having said that, SCU will not be a piece of cake either.

When it is all said and done, I like the Zag chances at tournament time.....as long as I don't see some certain referees step onto the floor.

Bulldog
02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't want to be in Wazzu's shoes right now, but at least the Pac-10 gets 6 teams into the tourney, so even if they lose another 3 or 4 games they will still go to the dance, whereas the Zags have to pretty much win out the much improved WCC conference in order to get a chance. Doesn't seem fair to me, but I don't have a lot of clout with the NCAA Administration.
So its GGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOO ZZZZZZAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGSSSSS!!

MJGoGaels
02-07-2008, 01:03 PM
At the end of the season, Gonzaga is going to owe a huge debt of gratitude to Billy Grier. The USD win over St. Mary's is going to win us the regular season conference title as that is going to be one of 2 conferences losses for St. Mary's this season and God willing, we'll only end up with the 1 loss on our conference mark, thus eeking out the regular season conference crown over St. Mary's by 1 win.

On the other hand, it will be at Grier's hands that Gonzaga loses the regular season crown. :) Just a thought.

GoZags
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Just like last year (and just about every year) the Zags need to take care of business. It won't be easy, but it is very doable.

Win league, win the conference tourney and worry only about seeding/location. Although I prefer not to sweat it out on Selection Sunday -- if that's the only option I'll take it. But again -- if the Zags take care of business we won't have to worry.

former1dog
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
On the other hand, it will be at Grier's hands that Gonzaga loses the regular season crown. :) Just a thought.

Could be! ;) But with my Zag tinted glasses on, sipping my kool aid... I just can't see it going down that way.... :D

MickMick
02-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Just like last year (and just about every year) the Zags need to take care of business. It won't be easy, but it is very doable.

Win league, win the conference tourney and worry only about seeding/location. Although I prefer not to sweat it out on Selection Sunday -- if that's the only option I'll take it. But again -- if the Zags take care of business we won't have to worry.

My feelings exactly. I believe the Zags get it done as well. The Zags (with or without a "game ready" Heytvelt) are better than SMC. 5 vs 5 is all I'm looking for.

MJGoGaels
02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Could be! ;) But with my Zag tinted glasses on, sipping my kool aid... I just can't see it going down that way.... :D

Or, here's one to knock you out of the pool side lounge chair, @ USF :p Boy, that would be a doozie. Nope.

Gaels put themselves in a difficult (not impossible spot) situation, they have to win in K2, which is a tough situation as it should be if you want to be King, you got to win on the road, and that road still goes through Spokane.

As Gaels go on the road to Pdine, I wonder if they will have anyone left on the bench?:D

Dog, you were great for coming over to the Gael board and exchanging points of view. Next 7 games and 4 weeks will be exciting.

former1dog
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Dog, you were great for coming over to the Gael board and exchanging points of view. Next 7 games and 4 weeks will be exciting.

As my old coach at GU once said to me and some of the other freshman newbies on the team, "You ####ers are all right."

I pass it on to you with affection and good luck for the rest of the season, except for that highly anticipated date at K2 and the other potential match up in sunny San Dieogo. I'll be there!

ebayzagfan
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM

If St Mary's earned "bad Karma" as a result of beating the Zags, what did the Zags earn by beating Santa Clara (in the way that they did)? Bad Karma travels on a two-way street!

I don't expect the Broncos to beat us at K2, but you can bet they will get off ze' plane with a huge chip on their shoulder.

Reborn
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
When I used the expression Karma, I definately let you know where I come from....the 60's. In Western terms it's the old saying that what you reap you sow. Or...for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction.

The St. Mary's game was just about as close to cheating as I've seen in a long time. It's pretty disheartening to all fans of this wonderful game. As you have seen on the Board, people from many Boards are saying the same thing. And fans in general, just do not like to see games where outcomes are determined by refs (just remember Seattle Seahawks against Pittsburg two years ago). I just have this feeling (or sense) that they will pick up another loss as a result of that game. Maybe it'll be San Diego at their place, or another school. But what I'm thinking is that San Diego will beat them in the tournament....(anyway I'm hoping that it will happen).. I am probably nuts for thinking this way, but I had similar feelings about Santa Clara last year, and look at what happened to them.

Reborn
02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
eBayZagfan: We have a different understanding of the word Karma. It's not that St. Mary's get neg Karma for beating us (Im not that dumb). It's the way that the victory was handed to them in such a negative way (you could call it cheating). On the other hand, we didn't cheat to obtain our victory over Santa Clara. It came as a result of good Karma by us.....Hustling and giving it 110%....Gray jumping 4 feet into the air and tipping the ball and securing it (almost) as he is fouled. I think to all that was a good call and was not a result of cheating at all. If you think differently, then perhaps you are blind as a result of bias. I think most people would say that THAT foul at the end of Santa Clara game just HAD to be called because it was so obvious. I actually felt that Santa Clara played a much better game against us then St. Mary's did. I was really shocked at the result of that one play. I really didn't think it was a stupid call or stupid play. I may have run that play myself. I think it was a result of hustle by both guys, Gray and Angley, and it was most unfortunate for Angley and the Cowboys that he fouled us. I am sure they will be ready for us when they visit K2. And we need to be more ready for the Cowboys then we were last time. I think we overlooked them as we seemed to have had our focus on the Gaels.

ZagNative
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Reborn has outdone himself with this one:

If you think differently, then perhaps you are blind as a result of bias.
I am crying here - I'm laughing so hard. Got to love those honest differences of opinion .... some caused by one of the parties being BLIND ... as a result of BIAS!

;)
Go get 'em, Reborn!

jpwils
02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
If we continue to mend and continue to find ways to get others like Downs involved in the offense, we will win it all...but St Mary's will not be an easy game, nor will San Diego.

The team that stays healthiest wins in this conference. We are starting to heal from early season injuries...St. Mary's and San Diego cannot afford any
injuries.

Heytvelt has to produce more against St Mary's. No more excuses.

We need Daye to stay out of foul trouble. And lose the pouty expressions.

Pendo and Kuso will need to continue to be productive as well. Especially
on screens.

Sacre may play a role due to foul trouble. Cannot continue to fumble passes
or miss easy ones.

It would be nice if Downs got hot now. He is due.

Bouldin needs to step up in these big games to be considered a major
star. We need to find a way to stop Mills and /or mess up his timing.

But we have the depth and pieces to win...just putting it together at the right time is the key.

jim77
02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
San diego will be a tough one. SCU up here won't be easy either. We also have St. Mary's at home. I'm not so sure we are done losing in conference. I hope we are.

Here's the danger as I see it: If St Mary's wins the conference..they will go to the Ncaa tourney regardless of what happens in the conf. tourney. Which means we must win the conference tourney to get in. If St. Mary's wins the Conference and loses the conference tourney and any other team wins besides GU wins the conference tourney, we will be nit bound. The conference tourney winner gets an automatic bid....and 3 WCC teams ain't dancing. I think the conference is a bunch stronger than most thought.

Just win baby!